• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

• The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

(Taken from NJSP website)

I'm trying to figure this out since the way the law is stated could be left up to interpretation by activist judges and/or uptight LEOs. I have not seen anything that states a loaded clip/magazine needs to be in a separate container. I looked throughout the forum and saw mostly issues with SUVs. What about a pistol in a fastened gun box that's in a locked gun range duffle bag that's inside of the trunk of my car? The duffle bag would carry all my range supplies as well as ammo and loaded magazines. I would rather just "throw" the unloaded gun in there, but you never know, so I instead keep it a fastened gun box that's separate from the duffle. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'd rather get a clear consensus than to get arrested. Sorry if this has been posted about, but I cannot not find anything specific like this.

You have received no replies because this has been discussed ad nauseum. However, what you quote above (in, what I assume to be unintentional subscript) is not from the statutes, but rather from what the NJSP think the law ought to be. There is no requirement to lock anything, other than the trunk. Carrying loaded mags is fine, as long as one is not inserted in the gun. carrying magazines and/or ammunition in your range bag is fine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Carrying loaded mags is fine, as long as one is not inserted in the gun. carrying magazines and/or ammunition in your range bag is fine.

However there are some (including at least one attorney) who disagree with this, and that even a loaded magazine can be considered a loaded firearm. I don't agree with this though.

However there are some (including at least one attorney) who disagree with this, and that even a loaded magazine can be considered a loaded firearm. I don't agree with this though.

As is the case with NJ firearms laws there is much contention and interpretation on that point but regardless what any lawyer believes there has yet to be any documented case of a loaded magazine solely being the impetus of a charge in the state of NJ.Everyone must reside in their own comfort zones but I transport with all my mags loaded.

I trust lawyers about as much as I trust a $10.00 Rolex.

Some folks go WAY overboard when transporting firearms. Technically you can take an unloaded and uncased had gun, wrap it in brown paper, tie it up with Bakery string and throw it in your car trunk and you're GTG. No range bag, no gun case, no trigger lock, no P2P copies, no note from yer Mommy, naada! All you need is your NJFID.

Loaded mags being considered a gun are urban myth. If this wasn't the case, every WW2 re-enactor or M-1 Garand owner enroute to the range (especially in colder weather) would get locked-up for having loaded 8-round en-block clips, since I'm not aware of a single idiot that waits to get to the range to load their Garand clips with arthritic hands! Some .30-06 Milsurp is sold in ammo cans already in clips! Any measures that you take to separate loaded mags from the gun(s) are not legally necessary (as long as the guns themselves are completely unloaded), BUT will be of help if you get into a collision and the contents spill out onto a highway, for instance. To err on the side of caution in NJ is accepted practice, but not legally required. THIS is where this urban myth got started IMHO! I choose to keep unloaded mags, boxed/bagged ammo and the guns in the same range bag. It's just easier for me to deal with, and I make less trips back and forth to the range in bad weather.

What you need to concern yourself with are those EVIL hollow-point bullets....don't go for a joy ride to nowhere with them in the vehicle, just to and from the ammo store, the range, the house, etc. A separate law covering hollow points here in the People's Republic states that they're illegal (and so is EVERYTHING ELSE IN NJ) EXCEPT for use which is EXEMPTED. In reading the "letter of the law", you're supposed to transport these EVIL things only when you HAVE TO, and not just for a joy ride or to go on errands (I'm paraphrasing here). The actual statutes have to be looked-up separately (what is ILLEGAL) and then (WHAT IS EXEMPTED USE), and thus is why so many folks new to the scene have so many questions. The stupid laws are designed to require a lawyer to separate and interpret them. A nice Gent here by the name of Vladtepes has done this and posted them for your review elsewhere in this forum.

I see you're a member of the new range in Woodland Park. Take advantage of the courses offered with your membership and you'll learn a lot. Including all of the legalities and myths.

Dave

Instructor, Mentor, Competitive Shooter, Hunter, Old Fart (and some think I'm a nice guy too).....

As is the case with NJ firearms laws there is much contention and interpretation on that point but regardless what any lawyer believes there has yet to be any documented case of a loaded magazine solely being the impetus of a charge in the state of NJ.Everyone must reside in their own comfort zones but I transport with all my mags loaded. I trust lawyers about as much as I trust a $10.00 Rolex.

QUOTE OF THE DAY!! LOL!

Some folks go WAY overboard when transporting firearms. Technically you can take an unloaded and uncased had gun, wrap it in brown paper, tie it up with Bakery string and throw it in your car trunk and you're GTG. No range bag, no gun case, no trigger lock, no P2P copies, no note from yer Mommy, naada! All you need is your NJFID...

I'll go ya one further. Just put the firearm in the trunk without wrapping it and lay the loaded magazine next to it.

I'll go ya one further. Just put the firearm in the trunk without wrapping it and lay the loaded magazine next to it.

Too Funny! I thought about typing that, but then I figured everybody would write me off as a Nut Job, lol! All kidding aside, your interpretation is 100% CORRECT!

Could lead to a scratched gun or a jammed mag due to trunk grit though, LOL! My ride has 130K on her and lots of trunk grit.

I do hope I picked-up all of those EVIL Federal 32 gr. HP .22's that fell out of their ripped box and rolled-around back there?????? LOL!

Some folks go WAY overboard when transporting firearms. Technically you can take an unloaded and uncased had gun, wrap it in brown paper, tie it up with Bakery string and throw it in your car trunk and you're GTG. No range bag, no gun case, no trigger lock, no P2P copies, no note from yer Mommy, naada! All you need is your NJFID.

And you don't even need that

I would spend the extra 5 minutes at the range to load the magazines instead of giving a LEO reason to detain you.

Just my .02 and no,I have nothing against LEOs

With range time at $25.00 and above for some of us that 5 minutes is costing $2.10......and for what? to possibly protect yourself from an urban myth or some barrister's musing?.

With range time at $25.00 and above for some of us that 5 minutes is costing $2.10......and for what? to possibly protect yourself from an urban myth or some barrister's musing?.

I used to think that way, but with the current cost of ammo, I think it might be more economical to load mags at the range and do less shooting, legal issues aside.

I used to think that way, but with the current cost of ammo, I think it might be more economical to load mags at the range and do less shooting, legal issues aside.

You may be correct.....depending on the vendor and caliber,$2.10 may be the price of two .45 rounds with shipping.

I increasingly shoot my S&W 27 on the rare occasions I do shoot to concentrate on accuracy and rarely go past 50 rounds of .38 in the hour.But my speed loaders are still loaded when I transport.

Loaded mags being considered a gun are urban myth. If this wasn't the case, every WW2 re-enactor or M-1 Garand owner enroute to the range (especially in colder weather) would get locked-up for having loaded 8-round en-block clips, since I'm not aware of a single idiot that waits to get to the range to load their Garand clips with arthritic hands! Some .30-06 Milsurp is sold in ammo cans already in clips! Any measures that you take to separate loaded mags from the gun(s) are not legally necessary (as long as the guns themselves are completely unloaded), BUT will be of help if you get into a collision and the contents spill out onto a highway, for instance. To err on the side of caution in NJ is accepted practice, but not legally required. THIS is where this urban myth got started IMHO! I choose to keep unloaded mags, boxed/bagged ammo and the guns in the same range bag. It's just easier for me to deal with, and I make less trips back and forth to the range in bad weather.

What you need to concern yourself with are those EVIL hollow-point bullets....don't go for a joy ride to nowhere with them in the vehicle, just to and from the ammo store, the range, the house, etc. A separate law covering hollow points here in the People's Republic states that they're illegal (and so is EVERYTHING ELSE IN NJ) EXCEPT for use which is EXEMPTED. In reading the "letter of the law", you're supposed to transport these EVIL things only when you HAVE TO, and not just for a joy ride or to go on errands (I'm paraphrasing here). The actual statutes have to be looked-up separately (what is ILLEGAL) and then (WHAT IS EXEMPTED USE), and thus is why so many folks new to the scene have so many questions. The stupid laws are designed to require a lawyer to separate and interpret them. A nice Gent here by the name of Vladtepes has done this and posted them for your review elsewhere in this forum.

I see you're a member of the new range in Woodland Park. Take advantage of the courses offered with your membership and you'll learn a lot. Including all of the legalities and myths.

Dave

Instructor, Mentor, Competitive Shooter, Hunter, Old Fart (and some think I'm a nice guy too).....

i thought that the NJFID was for purchasing only?

For the nit-pickers out there: The NJFID is so I can drive around with my long guns WHILE I do errands, instead of having to drive directly to and from the range. O-K?

My card is 30 years old, so it still says, "Permission is hereby granted to carry rifles and shotguns blah, blah, blah". Besides, in the People's Republic you need your FID just to buy pistol caliber ammo even if you never bought a pistol!

Some folks go WAY overboard when transporting firearms.  Technically you can take an unloaded and uncased had gun, wrap it in brown paper, tie it up with Bakery string and throw it in your car trunk and you're GTG.  No range bag, no gun case, no trigger lock, no P2P copies, no note from yer Mommy, naada!  All you need is your NJFID.

An NJFID has no bearing on the possession or transport of handguns.

You have no idea what you are talking about and nobody should listen to what you say.

I can't believe this crap is STILL going around here.

Or you could place it in a clear plastic bag, tied at the top, and place it on the seat next to you. As long as it is in a securely tied package OR locked in the trunk.

However, NJSP adds that "The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle." but I see no basis in the law for this assertion.

Since NJSP does not seem to have a good grasp on the law, I would not suggest testing this--I fear they would arrest you and let you fight the court over the interpretation of the law; and I am not willing to be the test case for this. I recommend keeping everything out of sight.

I would spend the extra 5 minutes at the range to load the magazines instead of giving a LEO reason to detain you.

Just my .02 and no,I have nothing against LEOs

If you think a LEO might detain you because you have loaded magazines, which isn't illegal, what makes you think that is any more of a reason then anything else? If they are willing to detain you for the lawful activity of having loaded magazines on the way to the range, they are willing to detain you for anything.

If you think a LEO might detain you because you have loaded magazines, which isn't illegal, what makes you think that is any more of a reason then anything else? If they are willing to detain you for the lawful activity of having loaded magazines on the way to the range, they are willing to detain you for anything.

But, as has been discussed on this forum before, LEOs don't always know the law and rarely understand the small nuances of the law. They're job is to keep the peace - that may mean arresting you if they think you present a danger because you have a firearm within reach in a vehicle or are transporting loaded mags. It is then the prosecutor who is supposed to understand the law and decide whether to bring charges. Even that step is little consolation considering some of the recent prosecutions for nonsense.

There's what the law says on one hand and what the police, prosecutor, and judges imagine the law really means on the other. Often very, very different things.

I met a guy once who believed the federal government didn't have the authority to collect income tax. He explained his legal basis for this and frankly, it was pretty solid - in my lay interpretation. But he had one problem: it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, the IRS, FBI, and federal courts, and prisons will arrest, prosecute, sentence, and house him if he doesn't pay the taxes.

But, as has been discussed on this forum before, LEOs don't always know the law and rarely understand the small nuances of the law. They're job is to keep the peace - that may mean arresting you if they think you present a danger because you have a firearm within reach in a vehicle or are transporting loaded mags. It is then the prosecutor who is supposed to understand the law and decide whether to bring charges. Even that step is little consolation considering some of the recent prosecutions for nonsense.

There's what the law says on one hand and what the police, prosecutor, and judges imagine the law really means on the other. Often very, very different things.

I met a guy once who believed the federal government didn't have the authority to collect income tax. He explained his legal basis for this and frankly, it was pretty solid - in my lay interpretation. But he had one problem: it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, the IRS, FBI, and federal courts, and prisons will arrest, prosecute, sentence, and house him if he doesn't pay the taxes.

the police may arrest you for driving the speed limit.. there might be a cop out there that feels that is the absolute limit.. meaning you have to be under it.. do you drive 5mph UNDER everywhere you go just in case you encounter that one nuts cop?

I know there is nothing illegal having loaded magazines stored during transport, but will the LEO interpret the law the same way? How many stories have we seen where the person was arrested only to have the charges dropped after all the bs.

Your fun day at the range, just turned into a fun day at the PD.

I know there is nothing illegal having loaded magazines stored during transport, but will the LEO interpret the law the same way? How many stories have we seen where the person was arrested only to have the charges dropped after all the bs.

Your fun day at the range, just turned into a fun day at the PD.

I'm sorry....I don't believe for a second that it would go that far.Yes I've heard the horror stories as have you apparently, but if it ever goes as far as a prosacuter and judge? I must be hauling a lot more than loaded mags....

the police may arrest you for driving the speed limit.. there might be a cop out there that feels that is the absolute limit.. meaning you have to be under it.. do you drive 5mph UNDER everywhere you go just in case you encounter that one nuts cop?

No but...

(1) different levels of risk: a traffic ticket compared to 5 years for unlawful possession.

(2) I have no reason to think I'll ever be stopped and searched so I personally am comfortable just complying with the law and no more. But everyone should know that there is some risk involved in doing that - even though there should not be.

An NJFID has no bearing on the possession or transport of handguns.

You have no idea what you are talking about and nobody should listen to what you say.

I can't believe this crap is STILL going around here.

REALLY? No wonder you tend to make so many friends around here, lol! Please re-read my post (#18, immediately prior to yours). I paraphrased the law, and told the OP to look-up Vlad's HOURS of compiled Works. We're on the same side here, so how about some slack and a little RESPECT?? :keeporder:

For the nit-pickers out there: The NJFID is so I can drive around with my long guns WHILE I do errands, instead of having to drive directly to and from the range. O-K?

My card is 30 years old, so it still says, "Permission is hereby granted to carry rifles and shotguns blah, blah, blah". Besides, in the People's Republic you need your FID just to buy pistol caliber ammo even if you never bought a pistol!

Mine does not say that... makes me a little more weary about driving around with a longarm.

Mine does not say that... makes me a little more weary about driving around with a longarm.

Just because your card doesn't have the now out-of-date wording doesn't mean you can't exercise your rights as they are written into the current edition of the Statutes. In short, I'd be doing over a thousand years in the pokey by now for doing what you're afraid to. Stay off of school grounds and other traps and yer O-K! So don't worry!

Dave