Shocker

NJ2AS Action Item

I received this as part of a larger email this weekend, I see it's on the Facebook page but I didnt' see it on NJGF:

Between Monday May 6, 2013 and Friday May 10, 2013 I would like *EVERYONE* within the sound of my voice to stop in at their local Police Department and request the form necessary to apply for a New Jersey Concealed Carry Permit. Do not under any circumstances take "NO" for an answer. Many PDs will try to talk you out of applying. Many of them will be doing so to be nice to you. Please treat the members of your PDs with respect. For the most part, they are not your enemy. Just make sure that you walk out with the forms in hand. If they claim that they do not HAVE the forms, or that they have "run out" of the forms, ask if you can download the form or obtain it from the NJ State Police. By the end of next week, I would like *EVERYONE* to have a copy of the necessary paperwork including any instructions they provide. Please make note of anything that doesn't seem "quite right". If necessary, it would not be a bad thing if your cell phone happened to be recording the transaction.

*** NOTE: DO NOT FILE THE APPLICATION AT THIS TIME

For all the reasons we all know about, it is not our strategy for you to file the application at this particular point, *ALL* we are asking you to do is to pick up the application form. Familiarize yourself with the forms and the requirements, but just hold onto them for now. You needn't even fill them out - yet.

I intend to get over to my PD Friday

Oh yeah. It was in one of the emails that I automatically deleted. When I get multiple emails from someone or some organization in one day, it gets tiresome and boring. NJ2AS needs to cut back on the emails. Quality, not quantity, works better.

I am sure there is a higher purpose

If it's going to be attempting to swamp the system with CCW applications, I'll pass. I don't wish to have a "denied" anywhere in my firearms records.

If it's going to be attempting to swamp the system with CCW applications, I'll pass. I don't wish to have a "denied" anywhere in my firearms records.

"For all the reasons we all know about, it is not our strategy for you to file the application at this particular point, *ALL* we are asking you to do is to pick up the application form. Familiarize yourself with the forms and the requirements, but just hold onto them for now. You needn't even fill them out - yet."

At this time it looks like they just want to compare requirements and attitude town to town.

Dumb CCW question. If the Chief of PD of your town did decide to approve your CDW does it still go to a judge? If so could the judge then deny you?

Yes it still goes before a judge where it would be denied.

Is it me, or is there WAY too much fixation on the whole CCW thing? We have NO chance of this happening in NJ in the foreseeable future and half the damn testimony time during the recent hearings was wasted by people trying to push this idea. Yes, I believe all of the statistics that it is a very effective means of reducing crime through prevention, and I'd carry tomorrow if it were passed. But we have to see the REALITY. We are getting our asses handed to us just trying to merely OWN a gun in NJ and yet many of us look past that fact and think CCW is just a testimony away from making all the legislators understand and approve it. WAKE UP!!!!

Ok, done rant....

And just for the record, I'm a NJ2AS member and I think this idea is stupid. More wasted resources.

OMG Jon you have just said what a bunch of us have been talking about. With all this new stuff coming down the pipeline and important battles in our future, people are still obsessing with CCW. That fight is in our future, but now lets focus on what will directly effect all of us in the near future. Completely wrong time for a CCW battle, focus resources on other things.

I didn't read this whole thread but the last couple messages tell me what's being thought. It has nothing to do with acquiring a ccw. It's a message. That is all.

Read the blurb again.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

If we do loose in the third circuit court, we may be heard by the supreme court. NJ told the 3rd circuit that they approve 95% of CCW applicants. They did not mention that they have such strict restrictions that nobody every applies. I'm not sure what the plan is either but I'd apply to demonstrate to the supreme court that NJ does not issue to 95% of applicants.

Without using accurate numbers, 95% of the granted are of a small number that made it to a certain level.

In other words, if 10 people made it through to the last stage, 9.5 were granted.

If 100, then 95... But I'm sure these numbers only include people that have jobs requiring carry. So the numbers are skewed to make them look good. They most likely do not include many normal citizens that want just defensive carry unless it's of an extreme nature.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Really? Splain.

Two guys named Muller and Piszczatoski were denied a ccw in NJ because they did not have justifiable need according to the judge. They went to court and lost. They appealed to the 3rd circuit court of appeals claiming that NJ's restrictive laws violated their 2nd amendment rights. The case was heard several months ago, maybe over a year ago but a decision has not been made yet.

One part of NJ's defense was that it does not violate anyone's 2nd amendment rights, in fact, it approves 95% (it may have been 94%) of ccw applications that are submitted.

The plaintiffs provided supplemental evidence after the case was heard that showed the number of permits issued. I can't find it now but I think it was in the 600 - 800 permits per year range that put NJ around .000001% of NJ residents compared to as much as 8% in neighboring states.

Two of the judges apparently have an anti -2A history and the third seemed to be pro2A but who knows. If it fails in the fed. circuit court, the next stop would be the US Supreme Court if they will hear it.

Is it me, or is there WAY too much fixation on the whole CCW thing? We have NO chance of this happening in NJ in the foreseeable future and half the damn testimony time during the recent hearings was wasted by people trying to push this idea. Yes, I believe all of the statistics that it is a very effective means of reducing crime through prevention, and I'd carry tomorrow if it were passed. But we have to see the REALITY. We are getting our asses handed to us just trying to merely OWN a gun in NJ and yet many of us look past that fact and think CCW is just a testimony away from making all the legislators understand and approve it. WAKE UP!!!!

Ok, done rant....

And just for the record, I'm a NJ2AS member and I think this idea is stupid. More wasted resources.

+1

I don't see it as a waste of significant resources, because it's just a matter of driving to the PD and picking it up.

It may indeed be to send a message and go on the offensive. 

Here's one thought: if people are saying that having the entire state of NJ reapply for their FID is no big deal, how about testing it by having just a few thousand of us apply for CCW. It can't hurt to document the fun experience and present it as evidence in the Muller case.

It's very possible that the 95% figure is true. Considering so many people don't apply because they know that they will be denied, therefore only people who require a permit for their job apply, and are consequently approved. Would anyone here apply, knowing that they'll be denied? I know I wouldn't. Nobody wants to risk having that denial on their record, especially when it's pertinent for future applications. If people applied with the same level of frequency that they did in a shall-issue state, then the numbers would very different.