JLF

Remington 597 semi rifle

Mine was scoped.  It had a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x for it.  Was cheap but held zero perfectly fine through a thousand rounds or so..

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4286122

(didnt buy it from there, but thats the one i put on it..)

@wvishome, first thing I thought of they must be cousins.

Well crap. Thanks for letting me know though!

Just that one mag works crappy. Other than that my 597 has performed flawlessly.!! My next upgrade is to get the barrel cut and threaded and put on a compensator.

Just that one mag works crappy. Other than that my 597 has performed flawlessly.!! My next upgrade is to get the barrel cut and threaded and put on a compensator.

CURIOUs to know your exact plans for that... I have long considered a bbl upgrade... Volquartsen makes a few (tons? no .. a few? yep) 597 barrels which are *EXTREMELY* high quality.  Adding one would *REALLY* set my rifle into the top rimfire -rifle-for-regular-guy-tier... but the problem is I like the $500 one not the ~

$200 as much so... PLUS, with that $500 rifle, I'm basically obligated to upgrade the stock.. and installation.  Lets say $500 for for a VQ bbl ... its $100 for a Boyd's Stock, $200 got a Stocky's, $300 for a (very basic looking) Volquartsen stock...so lets just say I went all VQ. .. $500 + 300 and lets just make it$200 for full installation...i think 100 is more likely but you have come this far, lets throw in another 100 for any expenses, ie full bedding, maybe some studs fore and aft,  etc.

Every time I get the bbl urge for my 597 i come to this same exact scenario and then my brain hurts and I stop lol.

Well life for my 597 started out as the base 22lr with a heavy barrel. After some trading of a Boyd's stock, it's now a vtr.

As the vtr the accuracy has gone way up!.

I have the volquartsen trigger and extractor. Haven't installed them yet. I plan on doing so when I polish the heck out of the bolt and guide rods.

But I bought this compensator from sportsmanguide

Posted Image

It's meant for a 10/22 but the width it's the same as the remington barrel.

Either way it will work as long as I get the work done by a gunsmith.

Also I want to get the barrel overall length shortened by an inch or maybe inch and a half.

But that's so far

I cannot and I mean absolutely cannot stress the significance and success the Volquartsen Extractor and Hammer make to the rifle.

Before the VQ parts, my 597 was borderline non functional (I'm sure others would have sent it immediately back to Remington, I was brand new to buying my own guns, it was my first long rifle, I was simply extremely disappointed and bought two more .22LRs to hold my interest)... Finally I took the plunge to spend some time and spend some money on the 597...the VQ parts *CHANGED VERYTHING*.

Now my 597 is a certifiable contender ... it is a badass rifle and I would absolutely show it off to the 10/22 crowd.  I know there is a ton of 10/22 mods and not a lot for the 597 but my 597 is pretty cool.  And the VQ parts really show how a helluva rifle it can be.

Look at that bad mofo.  Very very nice.

Since this thread went up I got another 597... for my Dad.  He actually lucked himself into an arguably nicer version, the DSG combo 597 HB.  It has a black stock, heavy barrel (and it's HEAVY compared to the regular barrel, you can see it and definitely feel it). .. We immediately put the upgraded Volquartsen parts in it, replaced the combo package "Remington" 3-9x32mm scope with a sweet Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 4x32mm Nikoplex scope and then blasted away at the range.  Amazing really.  Lots of fun.

I am very happy with my pair of 597s and wouldn''t get rid of them for anything short of catastrophic emergency (and desperation for cash ).