Sludog

What's a good price to pay for a S&W 686?

I know this is a pretty vague question because there are so many different variations of this model and prices have gone up he last few months. For example. I saw a 2 1/2 inch barrel 686 7 round (P series?) for $850 in a local shop. Is that a fair price?

I saw a 4 inch barrel 686 sell for $960 in another shop. Does the length of the barrel jack up the prices that much?

Anyone know what used model 686's are going for?

Well, prices have gone up on everything recently , but search gun broker or the smith and wesson forums, I'll routinely see 686s pop up around the 650 mark.

Look for a nice pre lock if you have the option .

New to revolvers. Please explain pre lock. Is this a safety?

If you are open to used.... which you should be... you can find them... $650 is a good range for them.

Definitely open to used but have yet to see one in a shop. If I went used I would rather see the gun up close then use Gunbroker. 

Sludog, Prelocks are " older " models. Most would argue they are of better quality, due to forged internal parts, better tooling and quality control, and a hammer mounted firing pin, and no lawyer dictated safties. They are called pre-lock because nowadays smith and wesson revolvers come with a " key " that will lock the hammer and not allow it to shoot, it's a stupid, useless thing.

Here is an example of the S&W lock

2Mvc-008f.jpg

Personally, I remove all the *extra* internal safties from my revolvers. They have been known to randomly engage and lock up the revolver when you dont intend it too. Simplicity is what makes a revolver so cool, They can easily be removed, but just throwing that out there.

If you must buy a revolver @ a gunshop you are going to pay ALOT more... i've bought most mine off gunbroker sight unseen. S&W revolvers are tanks and will last forever, Assuming the revolver is stock, it'll be not much different from a equivilent one in a store.

Personally, for a 686 I wouldnt pay more then 700$ for one.. and it'd have to be REALLY pristine, 650 is about going rate, there are litterally bazillon 686 revolvers out there. If youre budget is closer to 1000 $ dont hesitate to check out the 8 shot revolvers ( model 627 )

Thanks for the explanation. Very informative.  Your right that lock seems useless. 

$600 is my comfort zone. The new ones in the shop seemed pricey but maybe that is the going rate for a new 686. 

Once my current NICS comes in (day 13 today) I will be searching for my next gun. I have two permits left and one for sure will be used on a revolver. 

Thanks for the explanation. Very informative.  Your right that lock seems useless. 

$600 is my comfort zone. The new ones in the shop seemed pricey but maybe that is the going rate for a new 686. 

One my current NICS comes in (day 13 today) I will be searching for my next gun. I have two permits left and one for sure will be used on a revolver. 

Join the smith and wesson forums, @ www.smith-wessonforum.com . Put up a *want to buy* in the classfieds, or just keep an eye on the for sale section. there was a nice 6" that just sold for 650 bucks shipped. The deals are out there, just keep your eyes peeled. Good luck

Well, prices have gone up on everything recently , but search gun broker or the smith and wesson forums, I'll routinely see 686s pop up around the 650 mark.

Look for a nice pre lock if you have the option .

Since when lol? Maybe starting bids

I bought a new 686+ 4" a month ago for $729 which is not a bad price from what I have seen.  Its hard to find these guns.  I know someone that "bought" one for about $75 less a month before I got mine, but he has yet to see it.  Its easy to get a good price from a dealer that does not actually have one to sell :)  Bottom line is if you want it now you are going to pay a premium, law of supply and demand.