I am trying to decide on what optic to get for my AR. I am leaning towards a red dot sight (Aimpoint H1, or PRO) or going with a powered scope. I also know of someone selling a ACOG TA-01. I am torn on which because at different ranges I can shoot at different distances. I like the Aimpoint H1 for CQB/home defense and up to 100 yard shots. At Ft.Dix Range 14 I can shoot out to 300 yards so I like the ACOG with the hold over dots and magnification. One of the guys at work said to get the H1 and just get a 3x magnifier for longer shots. But I also am considering weight of the gun.  

So any opinions on going with the H1 or going with the ACOG TA-01 for longer shots? OR any other suggestions for red dot with holdover dots/magnification?

Thanks,

Stone

Thank you Checker50 and High Exposure. I can afford the H1 now and wait on the 3x magnifier. The two of them together would be more than the ACOG though.

Bhunted- I have only seen threads comparing one red dot to another. Not a red dot to a powered scope with holdover dots.

No worries. As always, what you want to do with the rifle (your mission) will dictate what gear you need..

Yes, while it is more expensive to buy a RDS and a Magnifier, you will find it is a more capable solution for most uses.

I had an Aimpoint 3x in a LaRue FTS mount that I would occasionally mount behind a T1. I ended up trading it (for a Trijicon RMR02 for one of my Glock 35s) as that T1/3x combo just did not work for me. I was faster and more accurate at the ranges I was required to qualify on (0-100yards) with a T1 alone that with a T1 and magnifier.

An AR with T1 is my go to for HD as well.

In my experience, if you are set on getting the magnifier, I suggest the PRO or the M4. Being that the tubes are closer to the same diameter they will "line up" better keeping the dot centered. You will have less streaking/smearing of the dot

I do have a 4x ACOG (TA01NSN). I like It, but It is a range gun/fun gun only. I have never grabbed it for work and it lives in my safe.

Sorry, was just grumpy yesterday. My back has been out for a week and I just broke a toe. So my brain is thinking pain. lol... I need a magnifier too. Dang things are more expensive than the Pros... I have a TA01 Acog on my AR.. Great optic... But love my Pro's for other stuff more close and personal.

OMG, not another one of these threads. :facepalm:

Dude, there are so many threads regarding this age old question.

Thanks for the added imput Vlad and High Exposure. The magnifier is not a deal breaker; it is something I was thinking of down the road for 200+yard shots. Anyone want to show me their PRO close up? I have read/heard that they are heavier than the H1. I like them both though. I am leaning towards a H1 with LaRue absolute co-witness mount. Thoughts?

I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness with the T1/H1 (LaRue LT660 mount) or the lightweight Daniel Defense T1 mount.

I use the absolute cowitness with the PRO because that's is what the mount that comes with it is.

I don't know if they make a FTS 3X mount to fit behind an absolute Cowitness...

I will take a photo of my Colt Commando with PRO when I get in to work tomorrow night. The only PRO I have at home is on a low mount on my shotgun.

I am leaning towards a H1 with LaRue absolute co-witness mount. Thoughts?

Hope you like waiting a while if you end up ordering micro with larue mount from Larue. I've had a T1 with 660 mount on backorder for 8 weeks this Wednesday!!!only ones that seem to be a little quicker are the pros.

I remember a few years ago you could buy from Ebay a magnifier that was basically an east german surplus optic that had a reticle of various tanks on it (so you could estimate range to a tank by fitting the tank in various sized spots) that was used on an anti-tank weapon to estimate distance from a tank.  Basically you could use it as a high quality magnifier if you were willing to ignore the tank drawings on the reticle.  I bought one and still have it and never used it (since I never got anything for it to magnify).  Anyone else use something like this as an affordable magnifier?

I wanted thank HE, Vlad, et al. for their advice on the Aimpoint PRO. I ordered it from LaRue Tactical along with their cantilever mount and it came last week.

I went to the range in PA this morning with my AR and to sight in the PRO. Took a little bit (it was way off to the right and a little high) but got it sighted in at 75 and 100 yards. Overall I think it came out pretty good. Pretty decent groupings once I got the feeling for moving the windage/elevation over. This was with Federal .55 grain ammo. I like this red dot and would recommend it to others. My buddy liked it also and I am trying to convince him to get one.

Thanks again everyone.

S.

I wanted thank HE, Vlad, et al. for their advice on the Aimpoint PRO. I ordered it from LaRue Tactical along with their cantilever mount and it came last week.

I went to the range in PA this morning with my AR and to sight in the PRO. Took a little bit (it was way off to the right and a little high) but got it sighted in at 75 and 100 yards. Overall I think it came out pretty good. Pretty decent groupings once I got the feeling for moving the windage/elevation over. This was with Federal .55 grain ammo. I like this red dot and would recommend it to others. My buddy liked it also and I am trying to convince him to get one.

Thanks again everyone.

S.

no problem good luck with it.. it is a great optic.. especially for the money.. 

Isn't Ft Dix 200y not 300?

Anyway, I have a 12" round steel plate that I hit all day long with a 16/14.5" AR and a AimPoint M3 slinging shitty Russian ammo.

At 200 yards, an non magnified optic zero'ed at 50y is more than enough for minute of man accuracy with practice.