checko

Chest rigs

I've been fairly hesitant to buy a chest rig.  It seems like its unlikely a civilian like myself would ever need one.  With that said, it seems like getting one for the next level of classes I want to take, a rig would be a good idea.

I particularly like the SKD PIG but its been out of stock forever.  I found a couple on amazon that I would like your thoughts on.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Recon-Chest-Rig-OliveDrab/dp/B007VHHJFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372018255&sr=8-1&keywords=chest+rig

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Modular-Chest-Set-Tan/dp/B0037MOFTU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1372018255&sr=8-15&keywords=chest+rig

Keep in mind, this is not a "battle rig" or anything for me, it is a training aid.  I can't conceive a use for this other than these classes so I'd like to keep the costs reasonable.  I'm sure a VTAC rig is much sturdier but I haven't seen many bad reviews on condor. 

Any other tips would be appreciated.  

I usually just use black duct tape and camo shirt, works for me!

Jk, checker50 I have that exact 2nd chest rig you posted with a 3 gallon camel pack.

I've only tried Ar mags and they fit perfectly I never tried Ak mags.

Let me know if you want to check it out sometime.

I usually just use black duct tape and camo shirt, works for me!

Jk, checker50 I have that exact 2nd chest rig you posted with a 3 gallon camel pack.

I've only tried Ar mags and they fit perfectly I never tried Ak mags.

Let me know if you want to check it out sometime.

Yeah that would be awesome. I'll be in touch haha

I've been thinking of a chest rig as well but with so many out there, I honestly don't know where to begin.

I know you want at least 4 mag pouches that you can double up but what about a pistol holder, modularity etc.  Lots of options?

I have one from Rothco for this exact reason. I wouldn't expect it to survive in the sandbox, but it works for my purposes. Has double mag pouches (3) AR mags with (3) pistol mag pouches attached. I 550'd a neck knife to the chest. Ask together, minus the knife, was less than $100. So I can't complain about that. The only things I haven't added yet is a camelbak and I'd also like to have a couple FastMags.

I would avoid the Condor gear, but that is me. I expect my gear to be built to a higher standard and to hold up to hard use. It may be fine for some, but I don't trust it.

For the tasks you are describing I would recommend the BFG Ten Speed Chest Rig

397566e88588cb1cc5f004b91466c9bc_zpsd701

If you aren't carrying a lot of extra stuff - radios, flashbangs, smoke, etc... It is perfect.

4 elastic mag pouches that have excellent retention and are open top so pulling them out or putting them back in is easy. It is lightweight and will hold a bunch of different mags securely - GI aluminum, TD ARC, Magpul PMags, Lancer, Troy, whatever you can fit. The newest version also has some MOLLE on the side so you can attach a 10 Speed Double Pistol Mag, more AR mags, or a blow-out/bleeder kit or you can keep it slick. It is easy to adjust to fit easily regardless of what you are wearing, even over armor.

The really great part about the elastic pouches is you can carry a lot of different items in them. You can fit a radio, a small bleeder kit, a tourniquet, a camera or your phone in the rifle pouches and you can use the pistol versions to carry flashlights, glow-sticks, or a multitool instead of pistol mags for instance - It is a very versatile rig.

I have one and use it whenever I am at the range and not wearing armor. I have used it in several EAG and VTAC classes and it fit the bill perfectly (There is plenty of time to hydrate, you do not need the extra weight of a camelbackbladder on the line while taking a carbine course). I keep my pistol, pistol mags, 1 rifle mag, a dump pouch and a full blow-out-kit in my belt. This lets me re-create the same layout of my armored kit, without the armor.

I also keep one of the older 6 cell versions in my Go-Bag.

I assure you will not be disappointed in this kit.

I would avoid the Condor gear, but that is me. I expect my gear to be built to a higher standard and to hold up to hard use. It may be fine for some, but I don't trust it.

For the tasks you are describing I would recommend the BFG Ten Speed Chest Rig

397566e88588cb1cc5f004b91466c9bc_zpsd701

If you aren't carrying a lot of extra stuff - radios, flashbangs, smoke, etc... It is perfect.

4 elastic mag pouches that have excellent retention and are open top so pulling them out or putting them back in is easy. It is lightweight and will hold a bunch of different mags securely - GI aluminum, TD ARC, Magpul PMags, Lancer, Troy, whatever you can fit. The newest version also has some MOLLE on the side so you can attach a 10 Speed Double Pistol Mag, more AR mags, or a blow-out/bleeder kit or you can keep it slick. It is easy to adjust to fit easily regardless of what you are wearing, even over armor.

The really great part about the elastic pouches is you can carry a lot of different items in them. You can fit a radio, a small bleeder kit, a tourniquet, a camera or your phone in the rifle pouches and you can use the pistol versions to carry flashlights, glow-sticks, or a multitool instead of pistol mags for instance - It is a very versatile rig.

I have one and use it whenever I am at the range and not wearing armor. I have used it in several EAG and VTAC classes and it fit the bill perfectly (There is plenty of time to hydrate, you do not need the extra weight of a camelbackbladder on the line while taking a carbine course). I keep my pistol, pistol mags, 1 rifle mag, a dump pouch and a full blow-out-kit in my belt. This lets me re-create the same layout of my armored kit, without the armor.

I also keep one of the older 6 cell versions in my Go-Bag.

I assure you will not be disappointed in this kit.

I have to say I fully expected you to tell me not to do it lol.  My whole thing is, is it worth spending at least double for a rig that will probably be used a hand full of times a year?  I like having the best gear as much as the next guy but lets be honest, I'm no Delta Operator

Yes it is totally worth it when your rig doesn't fall apart halfway through training day 2 and the $1000 you just spent on class, hotel, and ammo is wasted because you aren't learning anything while you fight your broken gear or try to jury rig a replacement for the next day and a half.

If you are serious about training and are going to start dropping real money on excellent training opportunities you need the gear that will support you training and enhance your learning experience by making everything easy so you can concentrate on learning what the instructor is teaching.

You also don't want to be "that guy" that slows the whole class down with your cheap gear that just isn't getting it done.

Another option that would fit your described needs in one of the split front rigs like the BCM 03 rig or a Tactical Tailor MAV.

I would be happy to meet up one day and let you try out some of the gear I have and run you through some drills so you can see what works.

Oh, and if you were a CAG guy I would have recommended something different ;)

Yes it is totally worth it when your rig doesn't fall apart halfway through training day 2 and the $1000 you just spent on class, hotel, and ammo is wasted because you aren't learning anything while you fight your broken gear or try to jury rig a replacement for the next day and a half.

If you are serious about training and are going to start dropping real money on excellent training opportunities you need the gear that will support you training and enhance your learning experience by making everything easy so you can concentrate on learning what the instructor is teaching.

You also don't want to be "that guy" that slows the whole class down with your cheap gear that just isn't getting it done.

Another option that would fit your described needs in one of the split front rigs like the BCM 03 rig or a Tactical Tailor MAV.

I would be happy to meet up one day and let you try out some of the gear I have and run you through some drills so you can see what works.

Oh, and if you were a CAG guy I would have recommended something different ;)

I just looked at the MAV.  That has a decent price point I may be able to work with.   Thanks for the offer, that sounds awesome.  

When it's all said and done, you will be right around the same price as the 10 Speed rig. Just sayin' ;)

I did the same thing. I had an ATS chest rig, one from Diamondback Tactical, 2 from Eagle Industries, an HSGI Warlord, an SKD version of of the Eagle LE chest rig, one from SOE. I sold them all when I got the BFG.

So, what pouches are you looking at?

Haha   I didnt like how on the 10speed it had the non removable 4 mag holders and no molle on the front.  With this one I'll be able to mix it up a little more to my liking.  I am thinking about getting some of the 10speed attacments

What else do you want in the front? That's where your mags need to be. Stacking much else on top of your mags/centerline and prone becomes a problem.

My armor has an ATS 3 cell mag pouch with 10 speed M4 pouches mounted to cell 1 & 3 with a tourniquet mounted to cell 2. I use the single 10 speed pouches to carry extra random gear - breaching charges, NFDDs, smoke, extra radio batteries, or extra mags if I think I need them. I have a small utility pouch mounted to the strong side and a pistol mag and flashlight mounted to my support side.

I'm not sure yet to be honest.  Was gonna do some experimenting.  Thinking either double stacked pouches for the mags or single stacked with pistol mags in front.  They will be single stack mags so I dont think they will make much of a difference while prone.  

Unless you are going to be spending an inordinate amount of time in a vehicle, keep your blaster on your hip.

Better weapon retention, more ingrained procedural memory, faster draw, faster transitions, and the repetitions you get in training will be worthwhile vs. training with it up high on the rig or in a crossdraw, then carrying it on your belt line anyway whenever you do carry (at home, out of state with a CCW , etc...)

And you may want to ditch the SERPA. Not trying to start a "SERPAs suck" discussion. Just letting you know that I think they are PNG in EAG classes as well as quite a few other reputable training schools now. You can get a Safariland ALS for $40-$50. Make the investment, save a training headache, or a foot/leg ache as it were.

Keep your belt (first line) for fighting with your pistol and your chest rig (second line) for fighting with your rifle. You can cross load a bit, for example 1 extra rifle mag on your belt and 1 or 2 pistol mags on your chest, but more than that is unnecessary. Simple and effective while remaining light and maneuverable.

I strongly recommend 3 or 4 single cell rifle mags on your second line with only 1 or 2 pistol mags set to the support side of the rifle mags. You can use the pistol mags on your chest rig to backfill the pistol mag pouches on your first line. Designate one of the pistol mag pouches on your first line as your emergency reload pouch. Prioritize keeping that one backfilled first.

Also, keep an emergency reload rifle mag pouch on your first line with 1 M4 mag (I like to put this right on my hip where a holster would be if I was a lefty) Keep this as your dedicated "go-to" pouch for speed reloads with the rifle. Like the pistol mag pouches, you can backfill the emergency reload pouch with mags from your second line whenever that pouch is empty and you have a moment to regroup.

It is important that the pouches you dedicate as your emergency/go-to pouches are kept for speed reloads/emergency reloads only. Tac-loads should come from the 2nd line pouches whenever possible leaving the go-to pouches full for the "Oh $hit!!!" reloads.

Ammo management is an art unto itself. With a little exposure to how it works it quickly becomes second nature. As you see how your body reacts to the procedures you train to for, and how the training breeds efficiency and effeciency then translates into speed you will see how important a setup that flows and works for you really is.

I've always been very partial to SOE gear.  I don't have any of their modular stuff, but they've got a modular MOLLE Rig (Frog rig):  http://www.originalsoegear.com/modfrog.html

I have their old CQB Vest, which is like their current Patrol vest without the MOLLE/PALS on the sides.  10 years and it's still as strong as the day I got it.

Unless you are going to be spending an inordinate amount of time in a vehicle, keep your blaster on your hip.

Better weapon retention, more ingrained procedural memory, faster draw, faster transitions, and the repetitions you get in training will be worthwhile vs. training with it up high on the rig or in a crossdraw, then carrying it on your belt line anyway whenever you do carry (at home, out of state with a CCW , etc...)

And you may want to ditch the SERPA. Not trying to start a "SERPAs suck" discussion. Just letting you know that I think they are PNG in EAG classes as well as quite a few other reputable training schools now. You can get a Safariland ALS for $40-$50. Make the investment, save a training headache, or a foot/leg ache as it were.

Keep your belt (first line) for fighting with your pistol and your chest rig (second line) for fighting with your rifle. You can cross load a bit, for example 1 extra rifle mag on your belt and 1 or 2 pistol mags on your chest, but more than that is unnecessary. Simple and effective while remaining light and maneuverable.

I strongly recommend 3 or 4 single cell rifle mags on your second line with only 1 or 2 pistol mags set to the support side of the rifle mags. You can use the pistol mags on your chest rig to backfill the pistol mag pouches on your first line. Designate one of the pistol mag pouches on your first line as your emergency reload pouch. Prioritize keeping that one backfilled first.

Also, keep an emergency reload rifle mag pouch on your first line with 1 M4 mag (I like to put this right on my hip where a holster would be if I was a lefty) Keep this as your dedicated "go-to" pouch for speed reloads with the rifle. Like the pistol mag pouches, you can backfill the emergency reload pouch with mags from your second line whenever that pouch is empty and you have a moment to regroup.

It is important that the pouches you dedicate as your emergency/go-to pouches are kept for speed reloads/emergency reloads only. Tac-loads should come from the 2nd line pouches whenever possible leaving the go-to pouches full for the "Oh $hit!!!" reloads.

Ammo management is an art unto itself. With a little exposure to how it works it quickly becomes second nature. As you see how your body reacts to the procedures you train to for, and how the training breeds efficiency and effeciency then translates into speed you will see how important a setup that flows and works for you really is.

when I run a chest rig I find it easier to keep both pistol and rifle mags on the rig... I still have one more pistol on my belt.. but I rarely find myself going for that one... having them right in front of me works well for me... I keep nothing on my strong side so nothing gets in the way of my pistol.. which I do keep on a gun belt.. 

tt2.jpg

tt1.jpg

Vlad, I know you carry a sub-compact Glock in PA regularly right? So, when you are not wearing a chest rig where do you keep your pistol reload?

Why would you change the placement of life saving equipment when you carry for real to where you train to retrieve it?

the crime rate in the area I live is virtually 0.... so I rely on the mag in the gun.... with that said I keep a fully loaded 22 round mag in a pouch my pack (that I carry every day).. 

not super difficult to get to... the only time I carry a spare mag on my belt is on my weak side when I am going to be in a really bad area,...

I do shoot every couple weeks without the chest rig.... work reloads from my belt... shooting from sitting.. just random stuff.. so I am comfortable reloading from my belt..

I just dont think in my normal course of life I will end up needing to reload.. 

I've heard a lot of good things about the Mayflower UW Chest Rig Gen IV. The only thing I wish it had was more dedicated magazine compartments, but four mags seems to be the industry standard. It's a bit pricey but it seems to give a lot of capability considering the size.

MFR.510-2.jpg?1363088479

EDIT: It's also available in the new Kryptek patterns that all the cool kids use.

Let me know where you got your crystal ball and "no crime here" maps. Apparently I need some so I can ditch the extra mag I carry everyday. ;)

That extra mag isn't just in case of more bad guys than bullets in the gun. It is in case of a bad mag, bad ammo, dropped mag, etc...

Being "comfortable" is not a level of acheivement. Either you are trained to do it or you are not.

Being comfortable conducting a speed reload in a fight for your life is not the same as being able to do it at the Unconcious-Competence level.

I get it, I am not trying to change your training program, your carry style, or start anything. I am just throwing out something to think about if you decide to honestly examine your training regimen and carry setup. Something I do constantly. I don't always change anything, but I am always taking a good hard look at my choices and the basis for them.

Let me know where you got your crystal ball and "no crime here" maps. Apparently I need some so I can ditch the extra mag I carry everyday. ;)

That extra mag isn't just in case of more bad guys than bullets in the gun. It is in case of a bad mag, bad ammo, dropped mag, etc...

Being "comfortable" is not a level of acheivement. Either you are trained to do it or you are not.

Being comfortable conducting a speed reload in a fight for your life is not the same as being able to do it at the Unconcious-Competence level.

I get it, I am not trying to change your training program, your carry style, or start anything. I am just throwing out something to think about if you decide to honestly examine your training regimen and carry setup. Something I do constantly. I don't always change anything, but I am always taking a good hard look at my choices and the basis for them.

I can tell you with complete certainty that I can reload off of my belt with no problem... and maybe I should carry a spare mag on my belt...

I spend a lot of time shooting the gun I carry.. I spend a lot of time shooting it in ways far beyond just standing at a static line shooting a target...

Rig came in the mail yesterday.

IMG_20130628_013230_402_zps8c9e33b2.jpg

I'm liking it so far but we'll see when I get some pouches on there and some weight on it.

TT customer service was great, modifying my order at my request and absorbing a couple dollars without asking to make life easier for me. Shipping seemed pretty fast from WA.

BTW yes I know its UCP (most people seem to hate that pattern) but all ACU in UCP is 50% off at TT