checko

Chest rigs

What Checko said. Your guts are relatively in the same place as everyone else's.

They also make extra large plates (10x13 I think) and there are different cuts - shooter cut, swimmer cut, SAPI? double/triple curved - that may offer a better fit.

Don't worry about protecting the muffin-top. Buy armor to protect you heart and lungs.

Do sit ups for the muffin top and get it behind the armor if you are worried about it.....

I'm 5'6" 195 lbs (man I really need to take my own advice :rofl:) and am issued Large triple curved plates from MSA (I could probably use Medium). They work, but are a little long - in some kneeling, squatting, and asymmetrical positions I choke myself out.

You wanna know the worst part? I'm in better shape now than I was before I started working two years ago. 

I definitely think I'm going with the 10x12 ceramic shooter cut plates, now I just need to find the right carrier. Needs to have the side Molle for IFAK. But I won't be purchasing until I get my bills squared away. 

Why is that the worst part? Hell be glad your losing the weight. I was 260 at my heaviest.  I feel like a damn greek god at ~220 now lol 
Banshee is a good product. If I like it I may be selling the one I have. If you keep your eyes peeled there are always pc's gently used getting put up for sale

I definitely think I'm going with the 10x12 ceramic shooter cut plates, now I just need to find the right carrier.

Then this post is for you!

Vlad, I know you carry a sub-compact Glock in PA regularly right? So, when you are not wearing a chest rig where do you keep your pistol reload?

Why would you change the placement of life saving equipment when you carry for real to where you train to retrieve it?

Had a problem the other day and immediately thought of you.... Dropped the AR (on the sling so it was hanging on center) ran out of handgun ammo and went to reload and the AR was hanging in an odd spot and blocked the reload of the handgun... Which cost time to resolve... Handgun mags will be moved to the side...

Never got around to posting a pic of the Banshee.

IMG_20140801_021251420_zpsxv8spk76.jpg

I'm very happy with it.  Less is definitely more with this kit.  Sits nice and high, covers what you need it to.  For sure something you want to try not to hang a bunch of crap off of.  Simple and effective. 

Anyone try the d3 rig yet? Thoughts?

http://www.haleystrategic.com/d3cr/

Id wonder the same thing too. I got into a lot of this stuff watching the magpul dynamic videos and while I'm not a haley/costa fanboy, haley does seem to have some nice looking gear he supports. And he does seem to sell it well.

On a side note. What's all this talk of putting gear on a belt from 10 to 2. That's where my belt holds up my stomach

I need to hit the gym

After looking for IOTV's or something like it, screw them. WAAAAAY to expensive. I found my way onto SKDTAC looking at their plate and armor carriers and found one I like. 

http://www.skdtac.com/MARZ-Tactical-Gear-Plate-Carrier-w-Cummerbund-p/mzt.201.htm

Any opinions on the company? Quality gear for the price? 

IOTVs are PCs, they are Armor Carriers and they are designed and built for the lowest common denominator. I wouldn't use one unless I was forced to.

The Marz gear is very well built, quality gear, but expensive. There are quite a few other options out there that are built just as well and are just as comfortable for less.

If you don't mind spending the $$ they are an excellent choice.

Keep in mind, with any PC, you generally don't get any ballistic properties. Some offerings, like the MSA SOHPC will come with a lvl III armored cummerbund, but you still need to get armor and if necessary backers.

ETA: looking at the other choices SKD offers, my first choice would be the Mayflower APC, followed by the Banshee (the Banshee is still on sale for $129 from TAG direct:

http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/bansheerifleplatecarrier.aspx)

Any PC is preferable to an IOTV.

You can choose any armor package you want for the Banshee. You can probably put ESAPI plates in there is you really want...

If you have the cash there are better armor packages than the issued ESAPI.

I like Paraclete/Point Blank and Velocity Systems armor packages myself.

I've been fairly hesitant to buy a chest rig.  It seems like its unlikely a civilian like myself would ever need one.  With that said, it seems like getting one for the next level of classes I want to take, a rig would be a good idea.

I particularly like the SKD PIG but its been out of stock forever.  I found a couple on amazon that I would like your thoughts on.

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Recon-Chest-Rig-OliveDrab/dp/B007VHHJFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372018255&sr=8-1&keywords=chest+rig

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Modular-Chest-Set-Tan/dp/B0037MOFTU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1372018255&sr=8-15&keywords=chest+rig

Keep in mind, this is not a "battle rig" or anything for me, it is a training aid.  I can't conceive a use for this other than these classes so I'd like to keep the costs reasonable.  I'm sure a VTAC rig is much sturdier but I haven't seen many bad reviews on condor. 

Any other tips would be appreciated.  

I chose the UTG Tactical Vest due to its configuration versatility. I can carry 8 - 30rd rifle mags and 4 more if I swap out the holster with the supplied additional mag carrier. I can also carry 5 double stack pistol mags. Plenty of Molle straps on the back. It ran $45.00.

post-2785-0-54319600-1407556222_thumb.jpg

I chose the UTG Tactical Vest due to its configuration versatility. I can carry 8 - 30rd rifle mags and 4 more if I swap out the holster with the supplied additional mag carrier. I can also carry 5 double stack pistol mags. Plenty of Molle straps on the back. It ran $45.00.

1w58.jpg

Posted Image

Are you asking me?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

with that bib in place you are probably having those AR mags riding pretty low.. like on your stomach.. which will make mag changes while prone a pain in the ass.. I used to have it setup exactly like that... but pulled the bib so the mags would ride higher.. like closer to my chest..

I agree. I didnt move my mags higher though. I got a kydex double mag holder that sits at the 4 oclock position by TAG tactical and when I am prone i utilize them.

I have no strong opinions on matters discussed in this thread, but whenever I see the zip-up style getups like UTG one, all I can think of is SWAT, the movie.  I have no idea if that design has any redeemable features, but for me it could be made of adamantium and stop 40GW laser rifles I wouldn't own one because this image would be seared in my brain, no matter how good the gear is:

SWAT-group-photo.jpg

It would be nice if there was a way to demo various models and styles to see what works best. Trial and error is time consuming and expensive.

Are you kidding? Owning large piles of crap that I no longer use and can't sell or give away because nobody wants it is why I got into the whole gun thing anyway: accessories baby!!   I could just collect shoes, but people would call me names then, however collecting pseudo tactical gear makes my manhood twice as operational, according to the internet ;)

Just as a point of order: Those snap-grid type armored vests in the "SWAT" movie are completely different in form, function, and intended use/purpose than the load-carriage type of vest that Rifleman1 posted - and are an accurate representation of what LAPD D Pltn was issued at the time the film was made.

Oh, and they are almost equally as uncomfortable and useless.

I will have to see if I can dig mine up. I don't know where I put it after the move.

So, HE, or anyone else with the box of crap you have tested out...

I am back and forth with the 10 speed or d3 rig, as it's all done and easy. I'm not an operator, like cheeko, just like the training classes. I have a first line that is hsgi tacos which I really enjoy, and I have been thinking hsgi tacos on a vest... I totally get the idea of less is more, my 1st line is holster, 2 pistol, 2 rifle and blow out kit... On a padded war belt. Works great and is comfortable, and easy to put on. The chest rig for me is a question mark. Like Most none operators, I want a quality vest, but I don't want multiple for different set ups, I do have a .308 battle rifle, and think I want the option of m4/ak/.308 mags, and it's why I dig the hsgi.

So.. Thoughts on the hsgi? I would love just 4 rifle mag pouches across the front, and that's about it, maybe a pistol mag pouch or 2. How about the hsgi small ao? To small? Better options? Rack minus looks cool, but also looks like shit would flop around to easy.

I should mention the belt is from us grunt gear. Retired mil guy Robert... I think he makes great stuff.