checko

Chest rigs

i'm still going through this thread. last night, i got impatient, and jumped from page 1 or 2, right to the last page.

in going through these pages, i'm looking at different pics of some of your guys setups. most of ya seem to have some sort of camo, so now the really really stupid question. is that just a personal preference?

i'm still going through this thread. last night, i got impatient, and jumped from page 1 or 2, right to the last page.

in going through these pages, i'm looking at different pics of some of your guys setups. most of ya seem to have some sort of camo, so now the really really stupid question. is that just a personal preference?

I went with UCP for 1 single reason. It is cheap. Tactical Tailor had all UCP stiff for 30% off I believe.

camo is pretty available.. and if you were ever going to "need it" it being camo might not be so bad.. my rig is OD green and coyote..  which is fine for me.. 

I read every single post in all 12 pages and wish I had the money to put one together... gotta save and do it slowly I guess

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have no idea what budget your on but most of this stuff can be had on the cheap with used gear. Most people don't hardly use their gear and end up selling like new stuff at big discounts to free up cash. Got a lot of my stuff like that.

I have no idea what budget your on but most of this stuff can be had on the cheap with used gear. Most people don't hardly use their gear and end up selling like new stuff at big discounts to free up cash. Got a lot of my stuff like that.

I just spend close to 200o on my AR build so I gotta chill out for a minute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Any suggestions for horizontal mounted pistol holsters?  I have holsters for all my pistols but can't see a solid way to mount them to a PC.  I am setting this up for HD and in my head the ideal setup would be pistol holster up top (horizontal) pistol mag pouches underneath on support side with a tourniquet and med kit on the other side.  I currently use a pistol for HD and will continue to until I figure out if another setup is better for the house we are moving into shortly.

On an unrelated note I sleep in the buff, and though I have set an alarm to wake up and run clearing drills with my current setup I find the mental image of me running thru a house clearing rooms in a loaded PC with my balls swinging in the air somewhat funny.  It won't be funny if I have to use it and the perp aims low though :(

aiming for the groin area is a very valid target. the toughest guy that might just keep comin' with a couple rounds in his chest, ain't gonna do much if he's been shot in that area.

Most classes that teach more dynamic techniques than simply bench shooting require some type of magazine holder. While a chest rig may not be explicitly necessary and you could just use cargo pockets, it can be incredibly helpful. Gun For Hire, for example, has 3 levels of what they call "Urban Carbine" courses that a chest rig would be appropriate for.

i just did tactical carbine1 today...the one in the training/techniques thread. it was a great class. one or 2 guys had mag carriers for their ar mags...the rest of us just used the thigh pockets in our pants. i think i'm gonna try to have a chest rig set up for #2

i gotta hit the hay.......but before i do.......

i was just googling chest rig setups. then it hit me, that we really have no way to know if those that we see are good, bad, or just plain stupid. now i gotta go re-read this entire thread, paying even more attention to he, and cheko, and a couple others, as there is soooo much information in this single thread that it actually requires more than one single read.

thanks for any/all info/suggestions/help guys!

Like is said in Post #8 of this very thread - I still think this is the "A" answer for training/SHTF chest rigs:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/essential-kit.html

The BFG 10speed Chest Rig has everything you need and nothing you don't. Add a belt holster, and IFAK contents to the utility pouch and you are set.

It will fit over armor, and is low profile enough to wear under an oversized shirt.

If a turtle vest or plate carrier is not necessary, this is it.

Got my plates in today (as well as a new holster. God I love new gear day) and holy shit was I underestimating the effect the extra weight would have.  I'm super glad I didnt go with the steel plates.  Adding an extra 5 or so lbs onto what I have would be rough.  

I'm sitting here, in my plate carrier and belt rig, as I type, and have to rethink some of my setup.  Again.  I want to see if I can switch the releasable part of my PC to the left side, so it doesnt interfere with shouldering the rifle.  Speaking of which, its much different to get a good cheek weld now.  I think I need to lengthen the suspenders on my belt to give me a little more room to clear my emergency reload mags.  I can draw and holster my pistol with no issues thankfully (have shooters cut plates).  I may have to adjust the vertical grip on my rifle to account for the depth(?) of the PC.  I will say, the multi curve with the shooters cut is very comfortable as far as the plates themselves are concerned.  

Any advice from the guys who wear this for a living?  I don't know that it's a good idea to take a stroll around the neighborhood wearing this to break it in lol. 

If you're looking to get plates, do yourself a favor, save as much weight as possible.

These are the ones I picked up:

HighCom Security Guardian 4SAS-7 Level IV 10x12 Multi Curve Shooters Cut.  Came out to be about $250 for the pair, shipped.  

http://highcomsecurity.com/collections/plates/products/guardian-4sas-7

It never breaks in, it just starts to suck less....

It changes the way you shoot a lot. You will need to relearn how to build all of your shooting positions - prone, sitting, squatting, kneeling, standing, unconventional. You will find that some positions just flat won't work - you can't bend that way anymore, or the plates start to choke you out when you move a certain way, the stock won't find that sweet spot anymore, or you can't lock your arms out the way you can slick. Lots if dry fire, lots of hot days on the range.

As far as your riflegun is concerned, make sure your stock has a non-slip pad of some kind and you may be better served changing your stock length and re-pinning it then moving your vert grip.

Oh, and if you can help it, don't lower your belt, raise your armor at the shoulders.

It never breaks in, it just starts to suck less....

It changes the way you shoot a lot. You will need to relearn how to build all of your shooting positions - prone, sitting, squatting, kneeling, standing, unconventional. You will find that some positions just flat won't work - you can't bend that way anymore, or the plates start to choke you out when you move a certain way, the stock won't find that sweet spot anymore, or you can't lock your arms out the way you can slick. Lots if dry fire, lots of hot days on the range.

As far as your riflegun is concerned, make sure your stock has a non-slip pad of some kind and you may be better served changing your stock length and re-pinning it then moving your vert grip.

Oh, and if you can help it, don't lower your belt, raise your armor at the shoulders.

My stock is one click from closed. Don't know if I can shorten it honestly. I can change the butt pad to a smaller one though.

I don't have much left to raise on the PC but I'll try. My belt is kinda high too though

I have to say I fully expected you to tell me not to do it lol.  My whole thing is, is it worth spending at least double for a rig that will probably be used a hand full of times a year?  I like having the best gear as much as the next guy but lets be honest, I'm no Delta Operator

I might have a rig like that I'll hook you up with.

Have you read through the whole thread? I got too much gear prob :)

I read this at 330 am, lol, In fact, I didn't notice the thread was 9 pages long until just now! XD I was thinking "Damn, this thread really blew up since i went to bed at 330....

Well no matter! I'm slowly selling off parts of my airsoft stuff to put money into ammo/range membership, so when i saw the thread I was like, "OH! I have that exact rig and can sell it cheap!"

I read this at 330 am, lol, In fact, I didn't notice the thread was 9 pages long until just now! XD I was thinking "Damn, this thread really blew up since i went to bed at 330....

Well no matter! I'm slowly selling off parts of my airsoft stuff to put money into ammo/range membership, so when i saw the thread I was like, "OH! I have that exact rig and can sell it cheap!"

Haha. I appreciate it. Put it up on the marketplace. I'm sure there will be some interest

Got a chance to switch out my butt pad from the magpul enhanced to the standard. Surprisingly made a big difference. Much more comfortable. I found a sweet spot for the stock on the PC, closer to the center of my chest instead of out by my armpit. I also have to be cognizant to push the rifle off my body when at rest and pull back into the sweet spot when shouldering to fire to clear the pc. Very interesting indeed

Honestly, a lot of people mock it, but I learned from airsoft what works best in our area. Flecktarn is the best camo in our area, you'd be shocked how effective it is. Problem is that it's pricey. 

As for rigs, my preferred is a tac-vest with MOLLE  webbing, it's just a flat OD green, but it has inner pockets on the inside, an open back area for a camelback. I have a few mag pouches, as well as a riggers belt, though i have some Vietnam-era webgear with M14 mag pouches and a canteen pouch that I could use to carry more stuff.

I really wish it wouldn't be "weird" to wear that stuff every day. It would be so convenient to have all those pockets and pouches lol.

So far I'm really liking the PIG BRIG chest rig. Small, lightweight, no bulk. Will run it in the configuration seen below with hydration in a few classes this summer. We'll see how it goes.

PIG.526-6T.jpg

PIG.503-13T.jpg

PIG.503-12T.jpg

This is something I've been thinking about, but how do you properly measure for plates? I'm a big guy, 5'10 and 245-250ish pounds. Besides measurements, what would a reasonable choice for plate carrier be? 

I'm thinking about something like this: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-xl-carrier-w-armor-and-pouches-black-x-large-11-x-14-plates.html#.U7jHq5RdXuM

Would that be a decent choice?  Primary role of the kit would be Training>>>Home Defense>>>mass civil disturbance, with the last one being low on the list because I don't see everyone getting their panties in a collective bunch enough to get up and riot through two towns and a bunch of police but you never know.

10x12 plates seem to be more or less the standard. I'm 5'9 225-240 depending and a 10x12 covers my vitals. If you want more maneuverability go smaller, more protection go bigger. Remember you will trade maneuverability for protection no matter what.

You choose PC size based on plate size generally. I believe the 10x12 is considered large.

I would re-think the link you posted to be honest.  It will be pretty large (probably larger than you need) and goddamned heavy.  My plates are ceramic and the come in at around 7 lbs each.  Those may be WELL over 10 each. 

I showed Blake in another thread some ceramic plates for a good price and that plate carrier is well regarded around the forums.  You could get both for around $350

http://highcomsecurity.com/products/active-shooter-response-kit-plates-only

This is something I've been thinking about, but how do you properly measure for plates? I'm a big guy, 5'10 and 245-250ish pounds. Besides measurements, what would a reasonable choice for plate carrier be?

I'm thinking about something like this: http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-xl-carrier-w-armor-and-pouches-black-x-large-11-x-14-plates.html#.U7jHq5RdXuM

Would that be a decent choice? Primary role of the kit would be Training>>>Home Defense>>>mass civil disturbance, with the last one being low on the list because I don't see everyone getting their panties in a collective bunch enough to get up and riot through two towns and a bunch of police but you never know.

Carriers are sized to the plate. For example, a size L PC means it will fit large plates in the plate pocket. Some will give two size options, first for the plate pocket and a second size option for the cummerbund that wraps around.

As far as sizing plates, this may help:

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/proper_wear_of_armor.pdf

Finally. I would personally avoid AR500 plates. In addition to being heavy, I don't trust them or the spall that comes off them. There are plenty of choices of standard PE/Ceramic/hybrid plates out there in SA or ICW ratings to buy ad-hoc plates made from targets. After all, what is your life worth? I bet it is more than the couple of hundred bucks you are saving buying AR500 steel armor plates.

10x12 plates seem to be more or less the standard. I'm 5'9 225-240 depending and a 10x12 covers my vitals. If you want more maneuverability go smaller, more protection go bigger. Remember you will trade maneuverability for protection no matter what.

You choose PC size based on plate size generally. I believe the 10x12 is considered large.

I would re-think the link you posted to be honest.  It will be pretty large (probably larger than you need) and goddamned heavy.  My plates are ceramic and the come in at around 7 lbs each.  Those may be WELL over 10 each. 

I showed Blake in another thread some ceramic plates for a good price and that plate carrier is well regarded around the forums.  You could get both for around $350

http://highcomsecurity.com/products/active-shooter-response-kit-plates-only

I think I'd rather go with ceramic than steel, and want to avoid HDPE all together. I just don't trust plastic yet because of thermal intolerance. But if any one can provide a link that has updated info on HDPE plates, I'd be more than happy to change my opinion. 

Carriers are sized to the plate. For example, a size L PC means it will fit large plates in the plate pocket. Some will give two size options, first for the plate pocket and a second size option for the cummerbund that wraps around.

As far as sizing plates, this may help:

http://sixty-six.org...ar_of_armor.pdf

Finally. I would personally avoid AR500 plates. In addition to being heavy, I don't trust them or the spall that comes off them. There are plenty of choices of standard PE/Ceramic/hybrid plates out there in SA or ICW ratings to buy ad-hoc plates made from targets. After all, what is your life worth? I bet it is more than the couple of hundred bucks you are saving buying AR500 steel armor plates. 

I've read that PDF a few times, and understand that a set of plates, properly fitted, cover from the sternal notch to the base of the diaphragm (back plates, top of the scapula to a mid point in the spine). I just want to make sure that the 2-300 dollars I'll drop on plates are going to cover the proper area (read: what if 10x12 isn't big enough to cover my fatness, reducing the survivability of taking a hit?) 

What Checko said. Your guts are relatively in the same place as everyone else's.

They also make extra large plates (10x13 I think) and there are different cuts - shooter cut, swimmer cut, SAPI? double/triple curved - that may offer a better fit.

Don't worry about protecting the muffin-top. Buy armor to protect you heart and lungs.

Do sit ups for the muffin top and get it behind the armor if you are worried about it.....

I'm 5'6" 195 lbs (man I really need to take my own advice :rofl:) and am issued Large triple curved plates from MSA (I could probably use Medium). They work, but are a little long - in some kneeling, squatting, and asymmetrical positions I choke myself out.