checko

Local carbine training?

So I never got around to doing a writeup, so here it goes.  Beware, I suck at this type of thing.  

Class started out with the normal safety briefing, wit a bit of a twist.  Of course he went with the standard 4 NRA rules, but gave you a real world notions to think about.  He also went into a little background of zero, what works, what doesnt and why.  This was a recurring theme in Joe's instruction (in a good way of course)

We then set up confirm our zero with a couple of string of shots.  Easy peasy.  Afterwards we started with drills designed to show us barrel and optic offset.  We went on to a few more drills both together and individually against a timer.  We continued this throughout the day, which added a little competition and for me at least, a bit of nerves to perform in front of the class.  Some drills ranged from speed reload, el presidente with reloads, irregular shooting positions, shooting on the move, steel shooting and some malfunction work.  Many of which I had never done before. 

The class was fast paced and we didn't stay on any one subject too long.  While it didn't afford us a chance to master any one area, it did give me a wide assessment of where my skills are and what I need to focus on. 

You could tell Joe was from the Vickers school of training with his focus on accuracy.  Each drill was concentrated on an 8 inch Vickers style target.  Speed is fine - Accuracy is final.  Total round count was around 3-400 rounds, though the class is focused on quality, not quantity. 

All in all it was a very effective class, showing me that I need to work on my accuracy and trigger control.  My current practice system will not suffice. 

Joe was a very good instructor, keeping the class light and constantly moving forward.  Also by giving us the background info on why we're doing what we're doing.

The group was great, cheering each other on with every drill, never forgetting to get a jab in when possible.  

If you get the chance, go, its worth it.

I did speak to Joe about a semi-private class.  The main issue is the time of year we are in.  He would need ample notice to reserve the range we were at, and we would be fighting the weather and holidays coming up.  Early December might be able to work for a single day, otherwise he is open to doing a 1 or 2 day course early next year. 

I personally would like to do the 2 day course, though it must be understood, these are not beginners courses.  I think a large part of the reason we were able to move so quickly was that each student was familiar with safety procedures, their rifle and had a good understanding how to employ it.  Don't get me wrong, you don't have to be a door kicker to get a lot out of this class (as clearly I am not) but you will want to be prepared. 

Per Joe, 2 day classes spend more time on the things we touched on in this class, as well as a low light portion. 

Meant to post this here if anyone is following this thread

Quick update. I just shot Joe from S&T an email trying to follow up with the class next spring. I asked him about doing the 2 day carbine with low light. I will update with a yay or nay and any info regarding dates and pricing etc.

I know a couple members are following this thread, so I wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing an EAG Tactical basic carbine class.  Its August 2nd and 3rd in High View WV.  From Hillsborough it comes in right about 4 hours away. Price is $450  I have signed up for it and was hoping to get another forum member to tag along.  

http://eagtactical.com/coursedetails.asp?ListID=10

Full disclosure - Pat is a friend.

I have taken the "basic" two day carbine class from EAG a total of four times. Each time I attended I have earned more than the last. I have also attended Pat's COC (2x), COC2 (3x) and am attending his "2 day low-light special" class next week. His "Shoothouse" and "CQB Ops" courses will be next year.

For those of you thinking "A basic course? How droll.... :rolleyes: I am way too advanced for a basic class!" You are fooling yourselves. You will be tested and there are winners and losers in his classes. If you want to learn to fight with a rifle instead of just shooting one you won't get a better opportunity than an EAG class.

Checko, have fun! And I will make sure Pat knows you are my friend so he pays special attention to you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: