Sign in to follow this  
anactivegrenade

Big Bore AR Mags - Legal?

Hey guys. I've been looking at those insane large-caliber ARs, like the . 458 Socom, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.

From what I understand, the standard 30-round AR mags allow for 10ish (depending on caliber) rounds of these big calibers, using some simple modification. Because the modification is reversible (I'm assuming), this makes those mags a no-go for NJ, since the mags can then hold 30 rounds of .223 again.

My question is, is there any brand of AR magazine that's produced in these big calibers, that is manufactured in a fashion that DOES NOT allow for a simple modification back to 30 rounds of .223?

Basically, is there an NJ-legal 10-round mag for .50 Beowulf?

There was one option out there with a modified follower and feedlips.  Basically, there was no way to load the smaller cased 5.56 because the feedlips were too far apart and would not allow the rounds to stack and stay in the mag.  They were very expensive but I do recall seeing them.  I just don't remember who makes/made them.

There was one option out there with a modified follower and feedlips.  Basically, there was no way to load the smaller cased 5.56 because the feedlips were too far apart and would not allow the rounds to stack and stay in the mag.  They were very expensive but I do recall seeing them.  I just don't remember who makes/made them.

Thank you, MidwestPX. At least, somehow, somewhere, it's legal to have 10 rounds+ of a big-bore-AR-caliber in a magazine, in NJ.

Thank you, MidwestPX. At least, somehow, somewhere, it's legal to have 10 rounds+ of a big-bore-AR-caliber in a magazine, in NJ.

Hopes and dreams are the only thing we can have sometimes.

One day. One day ill have an sbr Beowulf but today in nj is not that day

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Nope. You could try and get some dedicated mags engraved "for use with whatever caliber only" but ianal and given a certain situation it could get you in trouble

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

this does not satisfy the law.. 

if the mag can readily feed more than 15 rounds in ANY semi automatic gun.. the mag is illegal per the letter of the law.. 

this does not satisfy the law.. 

if the mag can readily feed more than 15 rounds in ANY semi automatic gun.. the mag is illegal per the letter of the law.. 

Thanks for reiterating, vladtepes.

Now, I'm off to hunt down those elusive .50 Beowulf-only AR mags that MidwestPX mentioned.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=618065

I knew I'd seen it somewhere.  The only thing that concerns me about using these in NJ is the maker says they'll hold 5.56 but a slight bump will cause the rounds to spray out so it's not functional.  The problem though is magazine capacity laws are written around absolute capacity and not functional capacity.