Sign in to follow this  
sosa9999

Catamount Fury 12ga semi auto shotgun ????

Noobs questions 

Is this legal in New Jersey?

Does anyone own one and can comment on it?

If you have one, do you recommend it for first time buyer of a shotgun? Basically just want it for blowing away water jugs and targets.  

I assume you're talking about this?  Looks good to go.

http://centerfiresystems.com/fury.aspx

Yes, thats the one .... seen it here for a good price http://www.jgsales.com/catamount-fury-12ga-saiga-pattern-shotgun,-semi-auto-ak-sporter-style,-new.-p-60315.html ..

now i know its NJ ok ... i'll have to research it.

I am not a big black rifle person, even less so on the Kalashnikov pattern guns and way less so on shotguns, but what I have learned from reading various articles, posts, etc, is that arms with which Century is involved are to be purchased with the expectation of less than optimal performance. Century arms are to the black rifle industry as are Pro-Mags to the magazine industry - at least that's my take.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

While I am in no means in the least as knowledgeable nor certainly not as respected as Pizza Bob on here, I would have to completely concur and agree with the Century comments.  I am actually very happy I have an "original 2010" Zastava PAP, for example, that is not one of the Century imports.  Now they are of course better furniture'd and hi-capacity but as stated, you need to expect certain things with them.

Furthermore with this specific shotgun as posted, is it not just a Saiga 12 copy from China with some furniture addons?  

I bought a Saiga 12 right after the presidential re-election.  Smartest decision I made during the October through Now period of The Re-Election period into The Craziness of Newtown and beyond.  It has been so perfect- EATS EVERYHING like chicken chow mein.  I follow a pretty regimented yet basic set of firearm break in procedures, specific to type of gun.  With a shotgun I clean it completely before using it, I don't care what others say of "it's a {Mossberg/Remington/Saiga/Pardner/etc.} Just Shoot It!}.  Then I shoot as much 00 Buck out of it as I can, MINIMUM of a 15-pack Value Pack Winchester SuperX 00 Buck for example... hopefully two or more.  Then I put 100 Federal value pack bulk 7, 7 1/2, 8 shot bird shot Target Loads though it.   Come home , clean it up, and then repeat the process with 00 Buck and many target loads.  And the Saiga has been amazing since.  For fathers day I got the old man a Viridian X5L-RS which has been rigged to allow the tape switch to be acccesed on the fore grip, so you can lase or light your target with your front hand.  It's just an amazing gun and when you realize not only is it at heart a 12 gauge Kalashnikov, but a real Izhmash Saiga at that, you know you have a diesel engined tank ... When we move it will get a full professional conversion but for now, it's happy to shoot as is with the pretty cool config I have now.

So bottom line, I would avoid this one like I avoid scandalous gold diggers and go Saiga all the way.  (or Vepr but I don't believe Vepr comes NJ compliant).

Whoa Pizza Bob, research ProMag. I think you'll come to a different conclusion.

I don't think so. Seldom have I read anything positive about ProMags. Their overall record in the real world is abysmal.

I don't think so. Seldom have I read anything positive about ProMags. Their overall record in the real world is abysmal.

my saiga 12 drum runs flawlessly... yet people complain about other mags being awful.. so I would say it must really vary from mag to mag..

I have 7 ProMag Saiga-12 magazines... and all have been perfect.  They did require quite a bit of filing to work.  BUT after filing they worked flawlessly.  I will say that I bought the 7 ProMag mags for Christmas to go with the Saiga -12 I got my father.  Right after Christmas in the absolute dead heat of the craziness, I found factory Saiga 12 magazines for a pretty fair price and bought 10 more.  7 of the 10 (maybe 8) of the 10 also required filing.  And they were "factory new" but actually looked a lot more "run down" and "not new" than the ProMags. 

I admit I have read a ton of bad stuff of ProMags and on this very forum people busted my chops.  Telling me I wasted my money, giving a terrible gift(s) and would regret it.  Absolutely not, while I know OTHER PEOPLE have had a lot of trouble, we are locked and loaded and ready to roll.

Go on the saiga12 forum and do a search. From what I have read they have a lrbho... that only works 50% of the time... the barrel in some cases is canted in the reciever... but then again to get a s12 running sometimes u need alot of work to(drilling gas ports to right size, clearing gas block, and profiling the bolt) i wouldnt waste my money on it.. but thats upto u

The 5 rounders are ok.. i own 5 of them and they run great (had to trim all the followers to allow a 5th round but that was easy) The issue comes with the longer mags. They tend to squeeze the follower. I have read how to's to fix them. The most common is to use boiling water and stick them in it to soften plastic.. then use a piece of wood to ooen up the mag to a tad over the width of the follower. That being said in nj we dont need to.worry about that. I have owned promags for my glock, ar, sig, and 15-22 they all had issues. The only ones i had run right are the saiga mags.

Go on the saiga12 forum and do a search. From what I have read they have a lrbho... that only works 50% of the time... the barrel in some cases is canted in the reciever... but then again to get a s12 running sometimes u need alot of work to(drilling gas ports to right size, clearing gas block, and profiling the bolt) i wouldnt waste my money on it.. but thats upto u

With all due respect I disagree....

The s12 is designed to run heavy ammo... Not low recoil bird shot...

Take an s12 out of the box and put buck shot in it and it will run all day long...

The work that is required is to get the gun to run ammo it is not designed for... The gun gets a bad rep... But it is only because people desire to use ammo the gun is not built around...

Also the work is all not that intensive... Pull pins from gas block and bump the holes...

Does the Catamount take Saiga mags? Does it take any aftermarket mags or only proprietary mags, and if so, how much are the extra mags?

they have different magwells.

The FURY (which is the older version w/ std stock) takes an AK style mag

The Fury II (which is the newer version w/ thumb-hole stock) takes an AR style mag

If anyone is interested - I have a Fury II in stock................

With all due respect I disagree....

The s12 is designed to run heavy ammo... Not low recoil bird shot...

Take an s12 out of the box and put buck shot in it and it will run all day long...

The work that is required is to get the gun to run ammo it is not designed for... The gun gets a bad rep... But it is only because people desire to use ammo the gun is not built around...

Also the work is all not that intensive... Pull pins from gas block and bump the holes...

I have to disagree.. if that was the case there wouldnt be 2 gas settings.

I have to disagree.. if that was the case there wouldnt be 2 gas settings.

the 2 gas settings are to allow the end user some adjust ability.. the idea being there is a difference between magnum / slug type loads and other heavier loads... if the intention was to have the ability to cycle super light ammo you would need more than 2 gas settings and more ports... basically you would need to do what we do with them.. 

I guess. But that doesnt explain why some run everything from the factory. I have seen some with 3 ports and some with 4. When a 4 port from the factory is done correctly it eats everything. Kinda makes u wonder why they went from 2 ports, 3 ports and now 4 ports if the end game was that it would eat everything. Also if u use gas setting 2 on anything but lower recoil or target loads u smack the hell out of the rear trunion causing pre mature failure due to over gassing. I have read of rivets getting loose, cracking trunion, bcg locked to the rear, and the obvious sign of a dented trunion.

I guess. But that doesnt explain why some run everything from the factory. I have seen some with 3 ports and some with 4. When a 4 port from the factory is done correctly it eats everything. Kinda makes u wonder why they went from 2 ports, 3 ports and now 4 ports if the end game was that it would eat everything. Also if u use gas setting 2 on anything but lower recoil or target loads u smack the hell out of the rear trunion causing pre mature failure due to over gassing. I have read of rivets getting loose, cracking trunion, bcg locked to the rear, and the obvious sign of a dented trunion.

the reason is it is an AK and thus not precision... you "get what you get" as far as holes... and the gas plug gives you a little tuning on top of that luck of the draw... lol