Email I got today from my boss at nj fish and wildlife about the new hunting laws

air guns are considered firearms in NJ--therefore, you need a FID card to purchase them and the big AND--if there is a sound supressor/dampener/muffler on the barrel it is considered an illegal firearm. it is a FELONY to possess such a firearm--as crazy as that sounds.

as many of you know air guns will be legal to use when hunting rabbit and squirrels this hunting season. the air guns must have adjustable sights, be between .22 or .177 caliber and have a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet/second. so , when at classes or if you are planning on purchasing one, make sure there is no sound supressor on it--whether or not it is built into the barrel.

Nappen won on a federal preemption case involving airguns which basically ended in a ruling that some NJ laws on airguns other than sale and carry are thrown out. For instance magazine capacity limits do not apply to airguns after that case. Might apply to suppressors on airguns too. Might not. So the advice from fish and game might not be right, although I could see a ban on suppressors for hunting being upheld as a hunting regulation. As usual it is so unclear nobody can figure it all out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nappen won on a federal preemption case involving airguns which basically ended in a ruling that some NJ laws on airguns other than sale and carry are thrown out. For instance magazine capacity limits do not apply to airguns after that case. Might apply to suppressors on airguns too. Might not. So the advice from fish and game might not be right, although I could see a ban on suppressors for hunting being upheld as a hunting regulation. As usual it is so unclear nobody can figure it all out.

I can't even figure out what the hell you said!

Air rifles, eg., Gammo Whisper can be a mess. Strong opinions have been given on this forum that: it is fine to use OR it is illegal.

At one time Dicks sold this model in NJ. 

I would stay away from anything with a 'fattened' barrell of any length that even hints of sound suppression.

Question: is a scope ok for pellet rifle? You never know in NJ.

Air rifles, eg., Gammo Whisper can be a mess. Strong opinions have been given on this forum that: it is fine to use OR it is illegal.

I would stay away from anything with a 'fattened' barrell of any length that even hints of sound suppression.

I think you can have a scope, but you can't look through it.  :maninlove:

I believe the law reads the same as slug guns in that you need some type of adjustable sight. That can be irons, a scope, or some type of red-dot optic.

I just got off the phone with Sweeney's office because of new jerseys bull crap air rifle laws

All new air rifles come with sound baffles on the barrel. These are single shot, pump pellet guns. Up until yesterday you could have walked into you nearest dicks sporting goods and bought one with no problem. Now the state sent a letter to gun dealers and fish and wildlife sent an email to instructors. Stating that these air rifles are considered illegal because they have a "silencer" on them. Over the last year or 2 thousands of them have been sold legally to nj residents from legal gun shops. Now all of a sudden you are a felon for having one. No bills or laws were passed, no info has been made public, nobody knows unless you are a dealer or instructor. Now this fall nj has a new air rifle hunting season starting. You are gonna have thousands of innocent hunters entering the woods with these guns. If caught they will be felons and spend a decade in jail.

What problems is this solving? It's insane. It will ruin people's lives for nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just got off the phone with Sweeney's office because of new jerseys bull crap air rifle laws

All new air rifles come with sound baffles on the barrel. These are single shot, pump pellet guns. Up until yesterday you could have walked into you nearest dicks sporting goods and bought one with no problem. Now the state sent a letter to gun dealers and fish and wildlife sent an email to instructors. Stating that these air rifles are considered illegal because they have a "silencer" on them. Over the last year or 2 thousands of them have been sold legally to nj residents from legal gun shops. Now all of a sudden you are a felon for having one. No bills or laws were passed, no info has been made public, nobody knows unless you are a dealer or instructor. Now this fall nj has a new air rifle hunting season starting. You are gonna have thousands of innocent hunters entering the woods with these guns. If caught they will be felons and spend a decade in jail.

What problems is this solving? It's insane. It will ruin people's lives for nothing.

Gotta love the enlightened retards making our laws

Are letters such as this publicly available? It would be instructive to be able to read through them in chronological order.

Letters from the Firearms Unit come once every few years. :laugh:

The problem is the thousands that have already been legally sold and the wardens will be polling them this fall

I don't think they were legally sold.  I never sold any because I knew they were not legal in NJ to start with.