• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 db1775

db1775
  • LocationEssex County
  • Home Range:East Bangor, Bullet Hole

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a slug gun for use this deer season (hopefully), and would like some opinions. 

Right now I am down to deciding between these two, which are where my budget is at:

Mossberg 500 Slugster: http://www.mossberg....Nodes=2333,2335

H&R  Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe: http://www.galleryof...px?item=sb2-988

I was just wondering if there are any pros/cons that I haven't yet considered in using a single-shot for hunting and would appreciate some input from veteran hunters.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan

#2 tj462nj

tj462nj
  • LocationBayville
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

I've sold a lot of H&R slug hunters, never sold a Mossberg slugster 

#3 blksheep

blksheep
  • LocationOcean County
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

My brother has a 500 slugster and have taken many of deer with it. The 500 will last many of years.
GLOCK Certified Armorer

Fast and True

#4 jerseygti337

jerseygti337
  • Home Range:SJSC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

H&r all day. I have a 20ga ultra slug hunter and its a TACK driver out to 100 yards. If your looking for a dedicated slug gun I don't think you will find much better especially considering the price of them.

#5 jerseygti337

jerseygti337
  • Home Range:SJSC

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

I should also add, in all my years of hunting I have never got more then one shot off other then drives with buckshot. As with anything else, shot placement is key.

#6 db1775

db1775
  • LocationEssex County
  • Home Range:East Bangor, Bullet Hole

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

H&r all day. I have a 20ga ultra slug hunter and its a TACK driver out to 100 yards. If your looking for a dedicated slug gun I don't think you will find much better especially considering the price of them.

Thank you for the input!! So, 20 ga is good enough for deer? I was on the fence about this too.This would be a gun I might like to eventually pass down to one of my kids, so that is a consideration as well.

Dan

#7 BlueLineFish

BlueLineFish
  • LocationBayonne,NJ
  • Home Range:OBRPC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

You should look into an ithaca deerslayer. Beautiful gun. Forum vendor OMG Customs has one in stock.

#8 W2MC

W2MC
  • LocationWaterford Works
  • Home Range:Telco

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

I should also add, in all my years of hunting I have never got more then one shot off other then drives with buckshot. As with anything else, shot placement is key.

If you plan on deer hunting with a club that does drives, you wouldn't want either of those.  You would need a good repeating shotgun that shoots 12 gauge buckshot well.

#9 Jon

Jon

Everyone loves a little H&K

• Premier Member
  • 6,364 posts
  • LocationSomerset County
  • Home Range:SCFGPA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

You should really base your shotgun off the land you intend on hunting. If you're in thick cover with shorter(40yds and closer) shots, go with the Mossberg 500 and buckshot. If you're planning on reaching out a bit further, you simply can't beat the value of the H&R USH. Also, as a VERY proud owner of a 12ga USH, buy the 20ga instead. I wish I did, but I'm too stubborn to sell my 12 and replace it now.

Certified Glock Hater and HK fanboi

"The 2nd Amendment gives us the Right to Bear Arms, not to be a jackass."
-Colion Noir

#10 EMT_SAR

EMT_SAR
  • LocationEssex County
  • Home Range:Outdoors / GFH WP

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'll give you another alternative.  I like side by side 12 gauges, smooth bore for the "occasional" slug hunting.  You can load 12g slug on the right, and 00 buck on the left.  If you miss and they move, you've got a follow up shot well suited for a running or wounded deer even in brush.  The land I hunt on is not open fields and clear, but deep woods covered with brush.  Slugs are great if you cut nice big shooting alleys now through Nov, but I like having a second shot to make sure the animal is quickly downed. 

Realistically I don't even find shots out to 60+ yards, as there is too much cover to get a clean shot.  So I'm shooting in the 40 yard range anyway, and a smooth bore side by each shoots slugs to 40 yards very accurately.  Past 40 yards, the pattern isn't as nice. 

But like you, I've always wanted a "dedicated slug gun".  I haven't pulled the trigger on that purchase yet. 

#11 W2MC

W2MC
  • LocationWaterford Works
  • Home Range:Telco

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Remember, though, that NJ's hunting regs require rifle sights on your shotgun if you're shooting slugs.  

#12 Jon

Jon

Everyone loves a little H&K

• Premier Member
  • 6,364 posts
  • LocationSomerset County
  • Home Range:SCFGPA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Remember, though, that NJ's hunting regs require rifle sights on your shotgun if you're shooting slugs.  

This. Unless you have a rear sight or a scope on that double-barrel, it is not legal in NJ.

Certified Glock Hater and HK fanboi

"The 2nd Amendment gives us the Right to Bear Arms, not to be a jackass."
-Colion Noir

#13 EMT_SAR

EMT_SAR
  • LocationEssex County
  • Home Range:Outdoors / GFH WP

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yes, you need a rear sight of some type.  A ramp sight is acceptable. 

#14 Greydaddy

Greydaddy
  • LocationFranklin Park
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge, EFGA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

S/S, bird shot, buck shot!  Pump or semi-auto, 3 shots slug (with proper sight) or buckshot.

#15 NJdiverTony

NJdiverTony
  • LocationHunterdon County, NJ
  • Home Range:SCFGPA & EFGA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe in 20GA.... GREAT gun.  I've taken deer at 130 yrds with it and it's incredibly accurate.  I've read reports of people being accurate with them out to almost 200 yrds!  Just throw a decent slug gun scope on it and you're good to go.

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shotgun, deer hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users