71GTO

Two permits and I could use advice

I am new to handguns my head is spinning already from all the information and opinions out there. I have been to a range and rented a few times. The last time I tried guns I was specifically looking to buy. I applied for two p2p. My first gun I was looking at a 9mm. These would be for the range and HD. I rented a beretta 92fs. A 3rd gen glock 17 and an m&p 9m. The beretta was the one I liked best. It was new and that is what I shot best with. The glock didn't really get a fair chance since it was apparently so dirty it jammed every few rounds. Also, I would have preferred to try a 4th gen 19. I did not like the grip at all and I thought the were always supposed to work. The m&p was nice too, but I was already partial to the beretta. I have read a lot on this gun and it seems to be a reliable good gun. I'm still up in the air on getting the standard black or an inox. I have seen some people claim to have issues with both finishes. Has anyone one had any experience with which finish is more durable. I don't plan on beating either one up, but I would like to keep it nice.

My Dilemma is the second permit. I would like a higher caliber gun to get practice with. I was thinking trying out a glock 22 4th gen, an m&p .40, an s&w 686. I'm looking for some recommendations. I was leaning towards a revolver maybe for the hd roll since it is simple and should always work. Any opinions or information is appreciated.

You like the Beretta, get it. With literally tons of 92FS out there you are bound to come up with a few with minor issues.  Don't sweat it. 

Try & get an Italian made INOX, not the American version. That's what I would do.

A revolver? That's a no brainer  GP100 or 686, just have to decide on caliber, stainless or blued, & barrel length.  Before anyone jumps at me, there are 327 mag versions for the gp100.

Oh man, that 92fs is going to be awesome when you slap some hogue aluminum grips on it.  White aluminum grips on an INOX. Sweet

Good luck!

Welcome to the forums! What others said, if you like the Beretta, get it. I have a 686 P 4" that is also highly recommended.

Only other advice -  I've seen this happen to my friends - they find something they really want (i.e. you and the Beretta) and then get talked into something else because a salesman or gunstore employee or YouTube video guy thinks brand X is "better" because of caliber, stopping power, capacity, whatever. I say get the one you want. IMHO, it's easier and more rewarding to learn with a gun you really like than to train with a tool you don't care for. Good luck. 

I would love the Italian made inox, but it appears that one is hard to come by especially new. I'm ok with the American made one and the black safety and slide release, thanks for the fast replies. I was thinking a the 4 inch Barrel and stainless on that s&w

I would love the Italian made inox, but it appears that one is hard to come by especially new. I'm ok with the American made one and the black safety and slide release, thanks for the fast replies. I was thinking a the 4 inch Barrel and stainless on that s&w

here's some brainwashing photos for you 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxguns/6843331808/lightbox/

yeah that 4" or 5" is a good length for the range.  the 5" is a bit harder to find than the 4".  if you don't like the shiny look, you can always send it off for beadblasting.  believe me stainless is better than blued cause you'll be spending a lot of elbow grease getting the powder off the cylinder.  Of course, if it's black, then the dirty will just blend in...

Kleen-Bore Lead Away Gun Cleaning Cloth

Of course you can always go Glock .40 & have the option to get a 357 Sig barrel.  (it's loud)

I would do any Beretta variant. 92FS, M9, or the M9A1, if you want a rail for a light.

2nd would be the S&W 686 in 6" or 4", that is if you could find one. Ruger GP100 is another good alternative to that one.

You can get it in blued or stainless. Cheaper then S&W, not as nice a trigger..it's OK though, and it is built like a tank. :)

.40 in my opinon is a very snappy round, that I really don't care for. Have you considered .45acp? Less felt recoil then the .40, and great stopping power. There are ton's of good choices out there, and it is my favorite caliber. 1911's Spingfield Colt, Kimber etc., Sig P220, or my favorite the H&K 45.

PS: Iltalian Inox will be very tough to find and it will probably not come cheaply. I like my Beretta's basic black.

Good luck. If you have any questions shoot me a pm.

Thanks for the recommendations. I figured the inox would be hard to find. Honestly, I could go either way black or inox. I'll check out the ruger. I wasn't sure about a 1911 since I don't really have much experience shooting and maintaining a handgun I didn't know if that was for me. I did try a friends glock 27 for a few rounds at the range and I felt the snap, but I wasn't sure if the size of the gun had anything to do with it. I shot it ok though.

Sounds to me like your on the right path.

The added bonus of the 92FS is that it will accept the 22LR practice kit, and you don't need a permit for that.  It's expensive at $300 + but it's nice to be able to practice with 22 and convert back to 9mm.  Sometimes I'll just shoot mine as a dedicated 22.

I'm not a revolver guy and so that was never an option for my second gun, but if you like them, I think it's a great idea. 

Just a couple things of note about the revolver choice. The 686 is only available in stainless. The blued version is the 586. Both the 586/686 are .38 Special/.357 Mag (there are some rare exceptions of the 586 in .38 Spl Only). As was pointed out, the GP100 is (was?) available in .327 Mag.

Do not ever use a Lead-away cloth on a blued gun.

If there is any thought to perhaps using the revolver for competition, confine your choices to 4", six-round versions.

That's it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I heard an advice recently from a professional - when choose a gun, the first priority is that you like it, and reliability is the second.

With my two permits, I got a revolver 357/38 and a semi-auto 9mm.  So it comes in your case to SW 686 or Ruger GP100 (4"?) and Beretta.

Thanks Bob! Honestly, I still not totally sure which one i like better. I keep looking at pictures and I keep changing my mind. I will stay away from lead-away cloth if I get a blued gun. Can I ask what happens if you use lead-away? Is that a brand or a type of cloth?

71GTO,

I'm also in Hamilton. I have the Beretta 96A1 which, I believe, has similar dimensions as the 92FS but is .40cal. It has barely noticeable more recoil than the 92 FS. I have also fired a G19 gen3 and handled a G22 gen4. Even though the gen3 felt pretty good, the gen4 felt better (but I didn't shoot with it). The brunitron finish on the Beretta ain't the most durable if you ask me, but I'm reasonably careful with it. I also am new to handguns and my head spins too, but this is a great place for info and help. Just like you, and a bunch of others, I am looking for a 686 4" before my 2nd p2p expires. Good luck to both of us.

71GTO,

I'm also in Hamilton. I have the Beretta 96A1 which, I believe, has similar dimensions as the 92FS but is .40cal. It has barely noticeable more recoil than the 92 FS. I have also fired a G19 gen3 and handled a G22 gen4. Even though the gen3 felt pretty good, the gen4 felt better (but I didn't shoot with it). The brunitron finish on the Beretta ain't the most durable if you ask me, but I'm reasonably careful with it. I also am new to handguns and my head spins too, but this is a great place for info and help. Just like you, and a bunch of others, I am looking for a 686 4" before my 2nd p2p expires. Good luck to both of us.

If you don't notice .40 recoil maybe you should skip 686 & go straight to the 629.  

Nice! I guess that leads to another question. When the finish gets warn from use you could get the gun reblued or brunitroned? Will it look and last like new?

Worn finish on a blued gun just adds character. What do you intend to do with your gun that you are that concerned about finish wear. I have many blued revolvers that have been in and out of holsters (leather & kydex) many times and show little appreciable wear.

I have no idea what "brunitroned" is, but yes, you can always have it refinished. Refinishing may affect the value and if done poorly it will also detract from the gun's appearance.

My solution is to get enough guns that no one gun gets used enough to worry about finish wear :laugh:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Worn finish on a blued gun just adds character. What do you intend to do with your gun that you are that concerned about finish wear. I have many blued revolvers that have been in and out of holsters (leather & kydex) many times and show little appreciable wear.

I have no idea what "brunitroned" is, but yes, you can always have it refinished. Refinishing may affect the value and if done poorly it will also detract from the gun's appearance.

My solution is to get enough guns that no one gun gets used enough to worry about finish wear :laugh:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

you figured out my approach. Except right now none get used

you figured out my approach. Except right now none get used

I forgot to add that you also have to be an empty-nester. Guess that leaves you out for about the next 18 to 20 years. LOL.