71GTO

Two permits and I could use advice

IMHO, you made a fine choice with your Beretta 92FS.  Note that you can also purchase a conversion kit for the gun and shoot .22LR out of the same gun.  This will save you quite a bit of money in the long run... if you can find .22LR ammo!

My suggestion would be to stay with the same caliber as the original gun.  This simplifies logistics.  I would consider getting a second 9mm gun... the Beretta PX4 Compact isn't a bad idea and has the same manual of arms as the 92FS.  Note the more calibers you keep, the greater the risk of running out of a specific caliber, either at the range, or during shortages when ammo dries up.

Thanks! I went to the range again yesterday I tried an H&K 9mm, Springfield xdm 9mm, a gen4 glock 26, then a gen4 glock 27 (both flocks from a friend), a m&p .40, a xdm .40 and he beretta again.

The H&K had a lot of kick and I didn't like it to much.

I liked the grip of the gen4 glocks even with them being small. I shot them pretty well and they didn't bother me. So, I think a glock will be something to consider for later since the grip felt better.

I liked the xdm 9mm and I shot that well. So this might be something else to get.

I didn't do I well with the m&p .40

I liked the xdm .40

And the beretta was good again, so I still think I'm going with that first.

As others have said Ruger GP 100 or S&W 686. The Ruger is the Chevy or Ford of revolvers and the S&W is more like a BMW or Lexus. If you ever think about getting a lever action rifle you would be able to have both your revolver and rifle use 357/38 caliber ammo.

If you are considering a more powerful semi, take a look at the Ruger SR1911. Beautiful looking gun, reasonably priced and a 45 caliber.

For the revolvers (or just about any gun) I'm sure many forum members would be willing to meet you at a local range to let you try theirs and tell you why they love it. Good group of friendly, sharing and insightfull people here.

Welcome to the forum and to the world/family of firearm ownership!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still waiting so in still looking into everything. I was looking at sigs online, but it was confusing with all the models and they may be a little out of the pride range right now.

Ammo probably costs more than your pistol in the long run, short run....

Check out the Sig website.  Tons of choices.  If you like DA/SA like 92FS, you'll like Sigs.  Except there's no safeties but you do get a decocker on many

For 9mm you should also look at CZ 75B .....You've probably never heard of it (I know until a few months ago I never had!) but ask around and you'll quickly hear nothing put praise and admiration.   I have heard good thinks about the Beretta's but never fired one......yet.

Good luck and come to the Shoot Gun Shoot Out in Cinton on October 12th!  See the "Meet Up & Events" topic/subject.  Lots of fun!

More advice...I saw someone said it...get the Beretta if you like it and get it in the finish that most appeals to you. It's not like it's a Sprinfield XDs...they are tried and true for a LONG time- there will be a few complaints but chances are you'll get a great gun.

For ME...and I know that I just said, "For ME"...if you want a higher caliber I would skip 40 and go to 45. First they are nearly the same price to shoot, especially if you start reloading. It's a bigger, slower round, so the recoil is not much more than the 40 (in fact I think 45 is equal or less depending on the gun, but that's observation not science). With a 45 I would go with as much 1911 as you can afford. It's another stellar platform and incredibly classy...even the inexpensive ones. If you want to go revolver you can choose S&W 629 ( I think). Shoots 45 acp. Nice gun.

If you really like revolvers you could also look at 357. You can shoot 357 or 38, it's relatively reasonable ammo, and a lot of choices in guns. I prefer the S&W 686 which is available with a 7 round cylinder.

Good luck...that's a nice position to be in, having to buy two pistols. 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm still waiting so in still looking into everything. I was looking at sigs online, but it was confusing with all the models and they may be a little out of the pride range right now.

you can get a used Sig for about the same as a new 92f. I just bought one last week.

I have 2 permits...now I just need the $$ to go with them. I don't use credit cards so I need to depend on saving money...easier now that I quit smoking, $5/day in an envelop builds up quicker than you'd think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 92fs is a great gun. It was my first one and still love shooting it. The 686 is also a great gun, shoot great and never a bad day at the range. 

If you get a chance, try and shoot the H&K P30. It's on the expensive side, but you will fall in love it with once you shoot it. 

Ok, I finally got my permits on 2/22, only 7 months wait! and I picked up the 92fs. Now I have make it to the range and decide what to do with the other p2p. 

Congrats, I also picked up my first gun about a month ago and went with an Inox 92FS. Also still my have 2nd p2p to figure out what to do with.

When people apply for permits, the best thing to do is put $10 a day into an envelope. Once the permit(s) arrive, you'll also have the money to use them. I had a calendar marked with the day I could go get the next gun. They tried to stop me with the OGAM, but SP015 & SP016 let me skirt that issue. Money wasn't a problem.