jm1827

Any recommendations for a good book on the AR platform?

Hi everyone-

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good book for an AR newb.  I would like to eventually do a build and would like to start doing some research first.  Looking for a comprehensive book that covers everything from mechanics to ballistics to options to a complete build.

Thanks

IMO books are over rated... there's such a huge vast amount of info that is readily available on the interwebs..... even just on a forum like this.. there are probably enough knowledgeable individuals to put you in the direction you need to go in.. and to answer any questions you might have...  

Wow, IMO that's like saying we don't need cursive writing taught in school because we can just type and text

Not really... Writing is important because some day technology may not exist and writing may be important....

Reading is reading... Be it on a screen or in a book...

I was simply suggesting a book is not critical with all of the experience readily available...

The big problem with stuff in the Internet is separating the wheat from the chaff. Anyone can self publish on the Internet. A book has a little more going for it in the vetting department, at least in my experience.

My point was there are several people on this forum alone that between them could answer and advise on pretty much every ar15 point... And it would not be a generalized answer it would be one specific to the individuals situation based on currently available hardware..

The big problem with stuff in the Internet is separating the wheat from the chaff. Anyone can self publish on the Internet. A book has a little more going for it in the vetting department, at least in my experience.

So true.

The problem with the internet is that it has has spawned thousands of self-professed "gun experts" who, armed with a video camera, a YouTube account or forum page, expound on their limited knowledge to the masses about everything from tactical use right up to cleaning and disassembly in bad light in their bedroom using the bedspread as their canvas.

The internet is an expeditious route to find information. However, if you have read a bit and have some knowledge, you can find some wondrous things because you already know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reading is still fundamental.

(Makes you wonder how people sufficed for decades manipulating firearms, reloading, etc. without the marvels of the internet.)

True, but how does one vet "High Exposure" or "Vladtepes" as a legit source for "go to" info? How do you verify which members on NJGF have the experience, training, and insight to form their opinion in line with what you are looking for in a gun, when you can go out and buy Kyle Lamb's, or Jeff Gonzales, or some comp shooters, hunters, mil-sim/re-enactors book and know who he is and what he does and from where he speaks?

Don't get me wrong, there are folks here that know exactly what they are talking about. I know who they are because I have experience enough to know who is right and who is talking from their rear-end. I can filter out the BS ignoring the advice of some of the "mall-ninjas" and "internet commandos" and even the guys who may know what they are talking about, but come at the AR platform from a direction that I have little primary focus in - ie: competition, retro, hobbyists, hunting - and take the advice of others because I have a frame of reference. As someone new to ARs, how do you do that?

(Makes you wonder how people sufficed for decades manipulating firearms, reloading, etc. without the marvels of the internet.)

Because the common sense, mechanical know how, and good old American institutional "Gun know-how" that used to rule this country are now sadly things of the past...

True, but how does one vet "High Exposure" or "Vladtepes" as a legit source for "go to" info? How do you verify which members on NJGF have the experience, training, and insight to form their opinion in line with what you are looking for in a gun, when you can go out and buy Kyle Lamb's, or Jeff Gonzales, or some comp shooters, hunters, mil-sim/re-enactors book and know who he is and what he does and from where he speaks?

Don't get me wrong, there are folks here that know exactly what they are talking about. I know who they are because I have experience enough to know who is right and who is talking from their rear-end. I can filter out the BS ignoring the advice of some of the "mall-ninjas" and "internet commandos" and even the guys who may know what they are talking about, but come at the AR platform from a direction that I have little primary focus in - ie: competition, retro, hobbyists, hunting - and take the advice of others because I have a frame of reference. As someone new to ARs, how do you do that?

Because the common sense, mechanical know how, and good old American institutional "Gun know-how" that used to rule this country are now sadly things of the past...

how does one verify the book you recommended is not complete out dated garbage?

lol

the best idea is to get information from multiple sources... make sure everything adds up.. 

You verify that by first selcting a book that relates to your wants and needs. Then you research the author, who in this case is a well know former member of CAG and currently a world class instructor on the AR platform - for LEO, .Mil, and Competition shooters, then you ask around and see who else may have read this book or currently endorses the author's classes. A publishing date helps as well.

A lot easier than researching me or you on an Internet forum. A whole lot easier than verifying that what we are spouting isn't outdated nonsense since we don't have a published bio, résumé, or publishing date and we are not currently teaching/training/instructing the public.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions I will definitely utilize all sources, web based, forum based and written word in hard copy format.

As for verifying credibility, in academia we utilize peer review as the final word.  As for me I just appreciate the recommendations and tend to do all the research I can on my own, after that will I start asking questions about anything I don't understand.

The book I ended up getting was-

The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide: How to Choose and Assemble All the Components to Construct Your Ultimate AR-15 by Zediker, Gled D

Couldn't find the ISBN# but the title should be enough.  Good book, stepped me through the build with no problems whatsoever!

I will also recommend Green Eyes and Black rifles. It is still a very solid resource in the use of the AR15 and selection of features you want. It doesn't deal with assembly, but most of its advice on parts selection is still valid, or at least the rationale behind it. The optics section is a bit dated, unless Kyle Lamb refreshed it in recent editions.