blksheep

Bustin Clays

Thinking about getting into it. I have an almost 20 year old 870 express that has changed its format over the years from a wood stock 28" stock gun to a HD 18.5 " to a pistol grip zombie killer now back to a 28" stock gun with hogue stock.

My question. Should I "start" with this gun or maybe get a 20 gauge.

What do most people use 12 or 20? Is one cheaper than the other?

One a side note I put a side saddle shell holder on the 870. I try to get it off but I stripped the screws that hold the trigger group into the receiver. Does anyone have the stock pins to hold the trigger group into the receiver. I would like to use this as a trap guns maybe but the shell holder looks kind of tacticool and would like to get rid of it.

Thanks,

Rick

It all depends on what kind of clay busting you are talking about. Informal or Singles Trap is only a single shot at a time, so a pump is no.disadvantage. A long barrel (i.e. 28" or more), especially a ribbed one, would be helpful. Trap shots are always rising (unless you wait way to long), so an aftermarket strap on cheek riser would be helpful to keep your point of impact high. Skeet and Sporting clays are hard enough with a double or semi-auto gun. Doing them with a pump is hard.

Personally, I love 20 gauge guns, but know that the ammo is 25% more expensive than 12 gauge.

If your shooting sporting clays, you only need a 20ga. Trap, I would go 12ga. Skeet and 5stand you can shoot 20.

Ammo is priced the same as 12 from what I can tell. I have a 20ga I am selling if you're interested. Also have several cases of 20ga ammo.

The barrel is a vent rib OEM barrel. I always wanted a semi but not reasonable at this point.

One of the best things about shotguns is that it takes a hell of a lot of shooting before it is "shot out". I would not hesitate to buy a good condition used shotgun. You could get an older Rem 1100 in beautiful shape, made much better than today's product, for $500 or less. The only major thing to look out for is corrosion on guns that were used for hunting, as they may have been routinely exposed to bad weather and not maintained well.

I met a guy with a this weekend. His first and only shotgun was an 870 he bought brand new in 61. He said he used it for everything. After all these years he finally killed it and bought a new one. Use what you have until your skill develops and then get what you want.

I have an 870 that my father bought in 64' and gave to me after I graduated college.  I have used it for trap and skeet and slugs and it is still my go to shotgun.  And it still shoots perfectly after all these years, especially after a few years when I used to shoot 3-4 times a week and went through 100-150 rounds at a time.

Bumping this from over a year ago. Anyone go to CJRPC for sporting clays?

Do you mean 5-stand? Or has CJ set up a Sporting Clays course? 

I enjoy shooting 5-stand more than skeet or trap, but found a fair number of douche-ey folks shooting 5-stand there on weekend mornings. I stopped and went back to  shooting at the trap field with John and those guys just because I liked the crowd better. Of course it's been over a year since I've been, so things may be different. 

Give me a yell on this if you guys go I'd be up for it

+1 I'm in as well, would like to get into clays. Also got cleared on the machines but the explanation on how to use them wasn't the greatest and would like to see more first hand before I just jump out there