I haven't seen a thread for this yet so I thought I'd start one.

I went to NJSP Sussex barracks to apply for a few handgun permits. When the Sergeant accepted my paperwork, money order and stamped envelopes for references, he gave me a sheet that said to go online to order the background check.

So this is how they're doing it now. You go online, order your background check and pay $20 for it. They'll receive it electronically. 

Does this (slightly?) speed up the process? Will it mean not having to send apps to Trenton anymore?

just an opinion, but i think this would speed it up as its up to you to get the process started ASAP. They could sit on your form and not submit for months if they really wanted too. Could be a good thing man, ill obviously be trying this when i order more permits as I go through the hamilton barracks

The little bit I heard so far is they give you an address and a one time code to use that is assigned to you. You submit your info and payment and the report goes to them. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The little bit I heard so far is they give you an address and a one time code to use that is assigned to you. You submit your info and payment and the report goes to them. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Not totally correct but you are on the right track.

You go to this website:

https://www.njportal.com/njsp/criminalrecords/

You click "Electronic SB212A" and then you enter the ORI code for your requesting agency. The PD or NJSP will give you the code. It is not a one time use code. It is a code that is used to identify the agency (local PD or NJSP). 

You then fill out your personal data, and step through a few steps and select the reason you want the criminal records history investigation (purchase of firearms) from the dropdown.

Then you pay. The fee is $20 payable by electronic check or credit card. 

Then that's it, you'll get a follow up email with a confirmation number and the PD will be notified of your application.

This is only if you have already been fingerprinted before. If you need new prints they'll send you to sagem morpho. 

just an opinion, but i think this would speed it up as its up to you to get the process started ASAP. They could sit on your form and not submit for months if they really wanted too. Could be a good thing man, ill obviously be trying this when i order more permits as I go through the hamilton barracks

I believe all NJSP barracks are using this now. If they speed it up, that's great! I am not holding my breath though. 

Local PDs should be using this as well but I don't think it is in widespread use yet. I have heard reports from a few NJ2AS members that they were requested to use this system as well, but I only had to experience it myself this week when I applied for 3 purchase permits.