MidwestPX

Any interest in a true 15rd PMAG?

Personally, I have a large stack of 15-round mags that will seat on a closed bolt, and every time I take them out I try to force #16 in there and as of yet it's never happened. IMO the difference between a new compressed mag spring and a worn out compressed mag spring is far less than what would be needed to get #16 in there.

ETA: With that being said... when manufacturing a large amount of mags for resale, there will be variations from mag to mag, and I can't blame Ty for wishing to keep the mag capacity smaller. If there were an issue there would be a lot more at stake for him.

Personally, I have a large stack of 15-round mags that will seat on a closed bolt, and every time I take them out I try to force #16 in there and as of yet it's never happened. IMO the difference between a new compressed mag spring and a worn out compressed mag spring is far less than what would be needed to get #16 in there.

ETA: With that being said... when manufacturing a large amount of mags for resale, there will be variations from mag to mag, and I can't blame Ty for wishing to keep the mag capacity smaller. If there were an issue there would be a lot more at stake for him.

The risk of allowing a 16th round to fit far outweighs a 14 rounder popping up here and there.

It's a combination of factors.  There's the block size but then there's also the lower and LPK as well as upper and BCG.  With the countless number of parts manufacturers, it's very possible that your mags will seat against a closed bolt in your setup but not in another.  I've seen that happen too.

Not sure yet as I want to get some rounds on these through a variety of guns to test function with different gas systems, buffer weights, etc. I'm not one to turn out a product untested :)

Please send me ammo and mags. I will help you test them.

Ran the mags through a variety of combinations and they worked great so they'll be available to order SOON!

I have a few fde magpul mags that you cut down for me about a month ago. I've used them at the range a few times already without any problems.

Is there any difference between the ones you cut down for me and these?

That's how PK90 was building them in an earlier iteration

Except on his, you could slide the baseplate off for cleaning without needing to drive out a rollpin

No tools necessary is a big plus

And shorter than "illegal-looking" is a non-attention getter here behind enemy lines

Plus 1.  You REALLY need a version where the baseplate comes off.  

For anyone that shoots matches, or drops mags on the ground, ability to clean the mag is an absolute must. 

Btw, what would be the difference versus having the stubby pmags?

I have a few fde magpul mags that you cut down for me about a month ago. I've used them at the range a few times already without any problems.

Is there any difference between the ones you cut down for me and these?

These are shorter.

Plus 1.  You REALLY need a version where the baseplate comes off.  

For anyone that shoots matches, or drops mags on the ground, ability to clean the mag is an absolute must. 

Btw, what would be the difference versus having the stubby pmags?

These baseplates can be taken off.  Push the internal lockplate up then drift the two pins out with a punch.  They won't be permanently attached like a 15/20 or 15/30.

The previously released stubby mags are actually 19rd mags.  These are shorter.

These are shorter.

These baseplates can be taken off. Push the internal lockplate up then drift the two pins out with a punch. They won't be permanently attached like a 15/20 or 15/30.

The previously released stubby mags are actually 19rd mags. These are shorter.

Ty,

Ideally, it would take me less than 2 mins to take the mag apart, run the brush, and put it back together.

And even though this would be a great step further, I don't know how practical it would be to do it at the range. This is coming from someone who is anal about cleaning, so take it with that in mind. For most, I am sure it would be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ty,

Ideally, it would take me less than 2 mins to take the mag apart, run the brush, and put it back together.

And even though this would be a great step further, I don't know how practical it would be to do it at the range. This is coming from someone who is anal about cleaning, so take it with that in mind. For most, I am sure it would be fine.

I could do it...but the mags wouldn't be commercial viable due to injection molding tooling needed to accomplish it.  There's a balance to be struck between functionality and commercial viabliity.  Personally, I've never cleaned a PMAG and I run mine harder than 99% of recreational shooters.  Mine are all put through suppressed, short barreled platforms and now, machine guns.  With the MOE line, I break them before they need cleaned (feed lips snap or the spine cracks) so it's never struck me as a critical feature (haven't broken a gen 3...yet).  I get that some people want it and if it could be delivered with maintaining cost effective production, I would.  If Magpul had stuck with the original, large ribbing of the first gen PMAG, it would be a no brainer to offer.  But with the slimmer design of the Gen 2 and 3 mags (the only ones still in production), it's a much harder curveball to hit.

Midwest,

You can't please everyone. These mags and the fact that they can be cleaned even if it means it takes a few minutes sound good for the majority of the people. Magpul does make 10 round pmags for those who want to pop them apart and clean them very quickly. Thanks for making a product for our state

Ty,

I have no issues with the durability of the mags, but rather crap getting into them.

Most of the ranges here, and particularly in Virginia, have this fine crap gravel, which as soon as the mag drops on the ground, it gets all into it, and if you want to make sure the mag runs 100% of the time! you clean the mag when it hits the ground.

At most local matches,depending on which gun I shoot, I will clean the mags after the match, or after every stage when they hit the ground. While this is for pistols, not being able to clean the mags that are modified are a very big turn off, unless I never drop the mag on the the ground, which may be sand, gravel, mud, etc.

One example, shooting a match in Florida in. February, it was raining and the entire bay was thick mud. If you really needed to drop your mags to stay competitive, and as such, you really needed to unload and clean the entire mag.

Now that NJ is not the only 15 round state, might it work? Or maybe have something where the baseplate can be taken off without extra pins having to be pushed out?

Ie... Have the pins that are needed higher up in the mag that restricts capacity, but still allows you to take off baseplate easily and run a magazine brush through it.

Sorry Maks, it's just not going to happen given the current design of the host magazine.  I forgot to mention that there's the added complexity of legality that needs to be balanced with commercial viability and functionality.  In the case of a cut down, 15 round body PMAG, there's just no place for what you're suggesting with pins in a different place.  I'd need to lengthen the body then block it internally and then we're no longer at true 15rd mag.

what about for AK platforms too? There rae a lot of AK guys that would like a 15rd mag, myself included. I had 30's pinned.

Once the MOE AK PMAG is out, we'll work on it.  I still have yet to find a cost effective way to manufacture 15/30 metal AK mags that I feel comfortable selling.  The mags that we make, if you haven't noticed, probably have the most work done to them out of any modified mag to meet the idea of "permanently altered".