Barms

Some towns are great

Lavallette Boro, 1,878 population has finally turned the corner.  A P2P was issued to me in 5 days.  And was told by the firearms officer, he has issued 60 handgun permits in the last 6 months  - average age of residents is 61 years old

Shout out to Teaneck PD.  After receiving a polite complaint they revamped their website and procedures.  They now have the complete application packet on the web and accept applications during business hours, as opposed to just 2 hours on one specific day.  I haven't applied for a permit in a few years, but it generally takes between 4 and 6 weeks, with occasional lapses.

Shout out to Teaneck PD.  After receiving a polite complaint they revamped their website and procedures.  They now have the complete application packet on the web and accept applications during business hours, as opposed to just 2 hours on one specific day.  I haven't applied for a permit in a few years, but it generally takes between 4 and 6 weeks, with occasional lapses.

Does their "packet" have any additional "required' forms, other than sts-033, sp-066 and two reference letters (and Morpho-Trak if you need that)?

I'm going back a decade or so <cough>.

Well at least it's a step in the right direction. They've been extremely helpful whenever I've need them. I'll be going for permits soon so we'll see if it keeps up :)

No matter how nice and respectful or how courteous I am, I am met with a tough hard-ass attitude from my town PD. Permits take roughly 2 months which isn't bad. Before they give you the permits he takes your picture. Said it was requested by the chief for anyone acquiring a handgun to have their picture taken for officer safety if they're ever called to your residence. I didn't argue, and let him take my picture. There was no other paperwork so I felt the picture was harmless

No matter how nice and respectful or how courteous I am, I am met with a tough hard-ass attitude from my town PD. Permits take roughly 2 months which isn't bad. Before they give you the permits he takes your picture. Said it was requested by the chief for anyone acquiring a handgun to have their picture taken for officer safety if they're ever called to your residence. I didn't argue, and let him take my picture. There was no other paperwork so I felt the picture was harmless

Wow a photo? IDK if I'd be ok with that. I'd probably walk out and go to the NJSP station and apply there instead.

Man I wish I had some of these great stories.. My local says it's at least 60 days when you go in. Both fid and pp. they took 5 months to do mine last year. Wife went in last week and was told 60 days... It's so damn frustrating when I know it's just them dragging their a$$!

I think if I do just a P2P my town will be around 1.5/2 weeks max. When I went for my FID the longest part of it was waiting for my finger print appointment. I'll let ya know in a month or so when I go apply. Gotta get wifey's first then I'm gonna apply for 2 or 3 permits.

I had to read this one a couple times to let it soak in. What exactly does officer safety imply? That kind of rationale I feel is already labeling you as now a danger to officers in their mind. I would have probably requested a convo with the chief then.

"What exactly did you need my picture for?"

I get it you think it's harmless than other forms. But I don't like their rationale. Would want more intel. Of all the stories of all the extra hoops to jump through. This one smells the shadiest.

I had to read this one a couple times to let it soak in. What exactly does officer safety imply? That kind of rationale I feel is already labeling you as now a danger to officers in their mind. I would have probably requested a convo with the chief then.

"What exactly did you need my picture for?"

I get it you think it's harmless than other forms. But I don't like their rationale. Would want more intel. Of all the stories of all the extra hoops to jump through. This one smells the shadiest.

Same, I'd be very curious why they would want my picture. You already have my address if the police are worried about what guns I own...picture is above and beyond, shady.

That's a bit excessive IMO.  Do you mind if I ask, do you belong to a minority group?  If so, I wonder if they do this to "all" applicants?

Wow a photo? IDK if I'd be ok with that. I'd probably walk out and go to the NJSP station and apply there instead.

During my recent application woe with my town, one of my friends suggested I go to the closest barracks instead.  Is this a viable option?

During my recent application woe with my town, one of my friends suggested I go to the closest barracks instead.  Is this a viable option?

Is that even possible?  If your municipality has a "mechanism" in place, are you allowed by law to go to the NJSP to avoid that mechanism (and bureaucracy)?  :rolleyes:

That is, the regs that establish the procedure might say, "You must apply to your local PD *or* the nearest NJSP barracks if there is no municipal PD to which to apply.."  I would think that as long as the municipal PD does it, you must go to them... :dontknow:

Good question. I honestly don't know. My town is great with the process so I never had to look into it. My Father lives in a town with no PD so he has to use the NJSP. My process takes 3ish weeks vs his 2-3 months.

Edison, 3+ months, no news.

Edison as well, approaching 4 months, no luck (Change of Address and PP). Although I know that the address associated with my SBI has already been updated now for the past number of weeks, meaning the state has finished processing the paperwork on their end and its sitting on a desk somewhere in the department for weeks now.