Bugsy732

Any Interest in a Affordable Carbine/Rifle/Pistol Training series?

Hey all, as many of you have already seen I am coordinating a Tactical Rifle/Shotgun Class in November of this year. After speaking with the instructor for the past few weeks about the lack of an affordable Carbine training course that offers quality instruction and practical shooting opportunities for students we came up with the idea of hosting/coordinating a Carbine and Pistol Training series right here at the South Jersey Shooting Club.

We are looking to offer 2 class series next year starting in mid April, a Carbine Series and a Handgun Series. Each series will start with level 1, this being the entry level class that will help everyone get familiar with their firearm and give students general firearms and gun law knowledge as well as some great home defense/use tactics. Level 1 classes will also have a healthy shooting/range element as well. As the classes escalate the student will gain more and more knowledge on the use of his/her weapon and receive advanced instruction on tactics and shooting techniques. In essence, Level 2 will be more advanced than Level 1 and Level 3 will be more advanced than Level 2. Classes will be every other month allowing the student to "hone" his or her skills learned in the previous class.

Each class would be approximately 8 hours long

it is our expectation that both courses (Carbine and Handgun) Level 3 session would end with an expanded Range/shooting element as well as use of the on site Shoot House to practice what you have learned in session 3.

AGAIN, we are still working out the details on this class series but it's all coming together quickly and we hope to have info for me to post soon and for Kharis to post on his website.

Price wise, we are looking at $160 per class with a $10 discount for forum members (need to be a member here with at least 50 posts at the time of registration)

now with all of that said.... are there elements of instruction that any of you are interested in having in the curriculum? We want to make sure that each class is full of value to the student. You need to get the most "Bang for your buck" Please post your comments here.

If you are interested in hearing more about this class please post here as well so i can add you to a list. when we have everything finalized and the dates reserved at the range I will notify you so you can register.

anyway... please post your comments and questions!

If I were able to do a class, I'd like to learn about ways to transition the weapon, shooting techniques behind cover, entering a room to clear it, combat reloading. And you'd have a great potential to do a cross over class combing pistol and rifle. Cover things like weapon transitions.

I'm very interested, but the one thing that stuck out at me for the currently scheduled Nov class is the low round count (100 rounds, which I can blow through at the range in a half hour). I can understand the quality vs quantity argument, but it still doesn't seem to be much considering I'd have to drive a couple hours to get there. Of course, I'm a newbie at this so feel free to straighten me out.

Edit: Thanks for the response, count me in.

Would the class be at the SJSC? Also do you know how much ammo would be required for the class?

Yes Kharis is working to get a schedule set up at SJSC for the program.

As for ammo. Level 1 would require 100 minimum (bring as much as you like) and is just a suggested minimum, each student may shoot more or less depending on how much they wish to run drills.

Level 2 would require 200-400 rounds as the shooting/range element will be much longer

Level 3 would be 300-500 rounds again with a longer more intense range/shooting element.

After the class students will be offered some time to run drills they've learned at the class while at the range (time, weather and lighting conditions permitting)

A more detailed ammo requirement will be posted when the class schedule and descriptions are released.

If I were able to do a class, I'd like to learn about ways to transition the weapon, shooting techniques behind cover, entering a room to clear it, combat reloading. And you'd have a great potential to do a cross over class combing pistol and rifle. Cover things like weapon transitions.

Most of the things you mentioned would be covered lightly in level 1. In level 2 students will learn more advanced techniques as well as "slicing the pie" for room entry.

Basic weapon transition skills are also in level 1

I'm very interested, but the one thing that stuck out at me for the currently scheduled Nov class is the low round count (100 rounds, which I can blow through at the range in a half hour). I can understand the quality vs quantity argument, but it still doesn't seem to be much considering I'd have to drive a couple hours to get there. Of course, I'm a newbie at this so feel free to straighten me out.

You have to remember level 1 is not a Rickey recon class where you'll get a lecture then head out to the range to spray and pray all day.

You'll be learning in a classroom session various items similar to the class in November as well as some more expanded topics... After that you will get to practice what you've learned at the range with the instructor coaching you along the way.

The advanced levels (2 & 3)have a higher round count because the class room seasons are shorter with more range time learning and shooting drills, tactics and instruction. Much more hands on if you will.

The round count for the November class is a "minimum" number. You can bring more if you think you will need or want to shoot more during drills, time permitting.

With the progression of each class the shooter should become more proficient with his or her weapon, the tactics and skills they have learned. On top of that you'll get to meet some of the forum members!

I'd like to see comparisons of the different draw strokes for handguns including drawing from different locations.

Carbine I'd like to see a lecture on modern ammunition versus cheap FMJ as defensive rounds. What makes PDX so great that its worth the extra money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thanks for all of the replies so far. I spoke with Kharis and it looks like I should be able to post the Rifle and Pistol Class descriptions this week along with the schedule.

We spent some time chatting about the courses and i relayed the info/requests from the forum to him. All i can say is that it sounds like both classes will be very comprehensive and will not disappoint. 

More info to come... keep posting any training requests!

I will be posting up details for the 2014 Carbine and pistol series after the weekend. I will be getting the course descriptions from Kharis tomorrow after our session.

What i know so far is that the Carbine classes will be in April, June and August. It will be held at the South Jersey Shooting Club (carbine 1, 2 & 3)

The Pistol Classes will be in May, July and September and will most likely be held at Shooters. (pistol 1 2 & 3)

More info to follow.

Ok here is an update. it looks as if we will be having our first of the series of 3 Tactical carbine/Rifle series events in March of this year at Shooters. There will be an expanded class size for up to 20 students (first come first served). I will have the exact date(s) shortly.

The first class will be (obviously) Carbine 1. this will be the same or similar to the Tactical Rifle Class i am hosting in January. If you wish to take Carbine 2 and 3 you will need to take all of the classes prior. Classes are anticipated to be every other month.

Course descriptions

Course descriptions are in final review and we are waiting on confirmation of the dates we requested.  As soon as i get the approval from the range i will post dates and we will start registration.

I can tell you this. Each class will have a class room session.

• Carbine 1 will have the the longest (covering various topics) then a shooting portion. I would say a 30% classroom 70% range time
  • Carbine 2 and 3 will have a shorter session.  Say 15% class room (recapping what you learned in the previous classes) and 85% shooting time.

simply put With each class the classroom time shrinks and the shooting time increases.

Class times are roughly 7+/- Hours.

DISCOUNTS FOR FORUM MEMBERS:

Price wise the classes will be $160 each. There is no discount on the first class.  I have set it up so that IF you are a forum member here and have posted in the registration thread (when i post it) and If you have participated in Tactical Rifle/Carbine 1 you will get a $20 off coupon towards the next class. If you take Carbine 2 you will get the same coupon for carbine 3. So Carbine 1 will cost you $160, Carbine 2 would cost you $140 and Carbine 3 would cost you $140. This discount is only being offered to forum members here. So if someone registers at shooters and is not a member here, they will not get the discount coupons. More info will follow.

We are also working on putting together a Tactical pistol 1 and 2 as well.

Anyway i wanted to post an update for everyone.