Sign in to follow this  
ReadDude

CCI #11 Magnum Percussion Caps

So, I am pretty new to Muzzle loading. I have a hand-me-down T/C New Englander in .54 cal.

I also had handed-to-me, some Pyrodex P and I obtained some Pyrodex RS for the gun.  So far both shoot just great (reliable and somewhat consistent groups), although the P is a bit cleaner.

Now, the question. The gun came to me with a tin of very old Remington #11 Percussion caps that are running out. They have been reliable as long as the primer stayed in the cup. about 25% of them lost the primer! I think they are pretty old (maybe 15 years old)

So, I found some CCI #11 Magnum Percussion Caps.  Are these a reasonable primer for the New Englander using Pyrodex?  I can't seem to find any definitive statement on good or bad.  it just seems they are "more flame".  Would this mean a bit more pressure/fps on the round or just more likely to ignite the powder?

As you can see, I am learning.

Smokin' .50 -> I do hope to get out to OBRC one weekend as this black powder is getting under my skin quickly, but calendar is not letting it happen quite now!

BTW, I just remembered that there was a previous topic with this name from MosinRob, but it seems we never answered the question "Is there reason to not use the #11 Magnums?"

I shoot cci #11 magnums and remington #11. I can tell you from personal experience there is no difference. They both work the same in my guns. I also have cci#11 regular as backups incase I just couldn't get them and they shot the same too. I've only used the regulars once but the rems and cci mags i've shot hundreds with no problems and same results. Hope this helps you bud. Old bridge NRA muzzleloader qualifier in two weeks. I'll be there, stop by.

Depending upon who you talk to, some folks feel that the "magnum" caps aren't necessary for regular black powder.  I'm of the opinion that it really doesn't matter (just like Rob above) and here's the proof:

About a month ago I shot the 1st Sunday Old Bridge match.  I had pre-loaded my Ted Cash tear drop capper with a mixture of Remington regular and CCI Magnum #11 caps.  The Remingtons are greenish primer and the CCI are more reddish, so it's real easy to see which one you're using at a glance.  To make a long story short, I shot my highest score EVER with this "mixed-bag" approach:  a 137 x 150-3x aggregate from both 50 and 100 yards, winning the entire rifle match (including going up against bench-rested slow-twist patched round ball guns)!  I used .50 caliber 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls in front of 72 grains of 3Fg Goex pistol powder (REAL black powder).  So if a NRA Distinguished Expert in muzzle loading rifle can shoot a 90 x 100-2x offhand at 100 yards and mix his caps back and forth, I doubt that there's anything happening in the flash channel to either impede or enhance the ignition properties of the powder itself.  

Some time ago (several YEARS, but not 15) Remington #11 caps had new packaging indicating a 40% increase over their "old style" percussion caps.  So don't tell anyone, but I think (and my 137 x 150 PROVES it) that Remington reverse-engineered CCI's spark and was able to get very similar results.  In addition, I've never had a misfire that I could blame on the cap itself.  Once or twice a year I'll forget to snap a cap after using a spit patch, and that will cause some crud to get forced into the flash channel, but that's MY fault, NOT the caps!

When you run out of Pyrodex, let us know, as Rob and I can "hook you up" with real Goex black powder, which actually cleans-up easier than Pyro!

Looking forward to your Old Bridge visit.  If you need any other questions answered, Rob and I will be happy to help.

Dave

i've been using just plain CCI #11 caps since i got into the whole black powder thing 2 months ago. i've had exactly one problem and that was my very first time i loaded the gun. i only snapped one cap instead of 2 caps. i had oil in the flash channel and the powder wouldn't ignite. pulled the ball, got the powder out, snapped 2 more caps, reloaded and i've not had one problem since.

i see you shoot at EFGA. let me know if you want to meet up there and make some smoke some time. us two newbies can have our own competition to get some practice before an actual match.

also, what is this NRA qualifier?

I am trying to get my son out when he is home from college around thanksgiving, if we get a time, i will let you know and see if we can meet up. I think you have an M1 Garand too, right? We usually put a lot a few clips through that as well.

A NRA qualifier is a blackpowder competition where you start at the first level and work your way up through the competition with the ultimate goal of being a Distinguished Expert in rifle and pistol classes. it consists of shooting certain targets at different distances with a minimum score that needs to be reached. So for example with the rifle. The first level is Pro-Marksman. You need to get 40 points. You shoot at 25 yards. you take 13 shots and your best 10 count for score. At the 25 yard line you can shoot freehand, bench, prone, any way you want. You dont have to take every shot. I think I did my first level in 5 shots. Then lets say you work you way up to distinguished expert. You have to shoot 13 shots freehand then 13 shots prone or bench rest. Both at 100 yards. Then you move up to 50 yards. You have to shoot 13 shots freehand and 13 shots sitting. again each target your best 10 count for score. you have to get 265 point out of your 40 shots you took. Again once you hit 265 you can stop if you want. The last qualifier I shot a 344 so I keep shooting just to see how high I can go lol. Each level you earn you recieve a award certificate from the NRA, patch and or rocker, and pins. It's really fun!

first couple levels you can do two in one day. But when you start to get up in the ranks its usually only one a day. My first time I did 4. two levels with the rifle and two with the pistol. No you can not skip levels. You must go in order and complete each one. Each score has to be recorded and sent in so you have to complete each level. The guy that runs it takes care of all that stuff.

how many levels can i complete in a day? if i go for one level and shoot a high enough score to get the next can i just skip the lower one?

I mentioned some of this on the way up to Dixon's, lol!

Rob is 100% correct.  Pro-Marksman and Marksman can be done in the same day.  Then it takes a day to do the next level since we have only 10 target frames to share and different shooters are earning various different levels, some of which require multiple aggregates be completed in order to earn the next highest level.  No one skips any levels, but if there is extra room due to low attendance (i.e.:  bad weather), the League Chairman gives shooters the opportunity to advance using multiple target frames.  Expert and Distinguished Expert both require an aggregate with a grueling 52 shot COF, and DX requires that you repeat this aggregate SIX TIMES!.  These really require that you "bring your A-Game" and be prepared mentally, physically and that your equipment is clean, dry and ready for extended firing sessions.

Our Club's regular matches have seen a dramatic increase in score value since the introduction of the NRA Qualification Program.  In fact I can state for the record, that I wouldn't be as good as I am without having gone through the program.