samtechlan

Quietest brake/comp for AR--NJ compliant

I just bought one of the Spike's Tactical uppers from Aims Surplus with the 16" barrel and A2 Fh.  I know there are no real "quiet" brakes but which one is the least offensive as far as noise level?  The only brake I have experience with is the battlecomp permanently attached on my Colt but I was wondering if there is something better.  At times this will be shot at an indoor range and I want to minimize db level as much as possible.    

Short of a suppressor, nothing that you can do legally in NJ will change the report/signature if your rifle to any discernible extent.

All you can do is change the direction of the muzzle blast and use It to either reduce recoil, reduce muzzle movement, or some combination of the two.

I have the FSC556 (4 actually, and 1 Battlecomp) and like it a lot. It is effective, keeps the muzzle very flat, is a known quatity as far as NJ legal (the jury is still out on the BCM for NJ) and it costs about half of what the Battlecomp costs.

Recoil and muzzle control are very subjective though and vary greatly from shooter to shooter, so your results may differ....

Breaks do nothing to quiet the sound. They do divert the sound in other directions, and they

sound louder only because some of the gas is directed sideways so people standing next to you

will hear more noise than say on a std barrel.........

I understand; let me rephrase the question.  Which nj legal brake is less noisy from the shooter's position?

I'm gonna go ahead and say go for the Spikes Dynacomp.  It's the least loud brake I've ran into.  YHM Phantom is very thumpy.  Some brakes divert the sound to the sides but if you're shooting in a semi enclosed space, the thump gets echoed right back at you.

Try a Levang Linear Comp. I had one installed about a little over a month ago. I'm sure they're not "quieter" but it certainly directs the report down range. To my ear(under muffs) it seems to sound a lot like a 9mm pistol to me the shooter, or spotter if someone else is shooting it. Indoors you can hear the sound rebound off the backstop more than others.

Comparatively I had a PWS FSSC installed on a new build of the same length barrel. From the shooting position the "noise" is somewhat louder, however I feel more concussive pressure on my face(it's cold season and I can feel the pressure on the sinuses as I switch back and forth between rifles). It's not bad, just noticeable. Where I find it bad, almost obnoxious is behind and flanking the shooter where most of the gasses are directed. Hope that helps. Joe

I am not sure but I don't think the bcm is considered legal in our Garden State. 

Can we talk about that for a minute, because maybe we can clear it up if anyone has a definitive answer as far as its legality in our state. If legal- its a good comp even as far as noise goes.

Can we talk about that for a minute, because maybe we can clear it up if anyone has a definitive answer as far as its legality in our state. If legal- its a good comp even as far as noise goes.

No one has a definitive answer. Use at your own risk.

Reviews Ive seen have it as mediocre anyway.

I have the FSC556 (4 actually, and 1 Battlecomp) and like it a lot. It is effective, keeps the muzzle very flat, is a known quatity as far as NJ legal (the jury is still out on the BCM for NJ) and it costs about half of what the Battlecomp costs.

Recoil and muzzle control are very subjective though and vary greatly from shooter to shooter, so your results may differ....

I have 2 rifles with fsc556 brakes and 3 with battlecomp 1.0's and they are both good brakes. As HE stated they keep the muzzle flat and there is little felt recoil. I will probably continue to go the fsc556 route due to the price. Another break to consider is the pws tto. Same as the fsc556 but cut down to the bc 1.0 length.

I got hooked on fsc556 a few years ago. I didn't even know what it was, and was testing a friend's upper and noticed there was little recoil.

Then I looked into it and it was supposed to be reasonable comp and a little break but not loud.

The SOB is thunderous on short barrels. And it shoots sparks out everywhere. You can't tell in sunlight, but shooting in indoors in auto the sparks were so serious that they bounced off of the walls of the lane and came back and hit the rifle. And crap was falling from the ceiling. I've shot it indoors at least 4 or 5 times, it's absolutely obnoxious. I've never shot it at night.

According to the NJSP ballistic unit , NJ law - read "opinion" - on what does and does not constitute a flash hider is not based on the federal definition of what differentiates a flash hider from a muzzle brake from a compensator.

NJ doesn't look into how much flash is actually reduced when determining a muzzle device's function. They look at what the device was designed to do and basically follow the "pinky test". If there is a large opening - big enough to fit your pinky in - it is a flash suppressor. If the end of the device is closed with an aperture slightly larger than the projectile being fired - not a flash suppressor.

You will never get a "ruling" or "decision", only an opinion from the ballistics unit.

According to the NJSP ballistic unit , NJ law - read "opinion" - on what does and does not constitute a flash hider is not based on the federal definition of what differentiates a flash hider from a muzzle brake from a compensator.

NJ doesn't look into how much flash is actually reduced when determining a muzzle device's function. They look at what the device was designed to do and basically follow the "pinky test". If there is a large opening - big enough to fit your pinky in - it is a flash suppressor. If the end of the device is closed with an aperture slightly larger than the projectile being fired - not a flash suppressor.

You will never get a "ruling" or "decision", only an opinion from the ballistics unit.

This is mind boggling,.... edit:   I see there was a similar discussion today  with Dynacomp be NJ legal, I actually meant to post there so  that’s the reason for the edit,  anyway you pretty much answered it the same. Since you have knowledge of the subject what’s your opinion on this one as far as NJ compliance? It clearly says brake and a pinky isn’t going to do it just because of the caliber. What do you think, Yea or Nay?  I fully understand you are not providing legal advice only. Thank you in advance

how is the PWS FSC 556 legal in NJ when FSC stands for Flash Suppressing Compensator...!?  this state is truly a fantastic place...

I'm in the process of deciding on what brake to put on a new AR build - and having to decipher what is or isn't legal with no real standards other than the pinkie test is more than a little ridiculous.

how is the PWS FSC 556 legal in NJ when FSC stands for Flash Suppressing Compensator...!? this state is truly a fantastic place...

I'm in the process of deciding on what brake to put on a new AR build - and having to decipher what is or isn't legal with no real standards other than the pinkie test is more than a little ridiculous.

It has a letter from the atf saying its not a flash suppressor. One of the only ones that has a letter like that I believe.

how is the PWS FSC 556 legal in NJ when FSC stands for Flash Suppressing Compensator...!? this state is truly a fantastic place...

I think it is a combination of the BATFE letter and no one has done anything wrong with an FSC556 on their rifle.

It also was designed with its primary function being a comp vice hider and as such has a closed end with an aperture in it, passing the "pinky test".

And, when you think about it, it is no more ridiculous than a 2 100% identical rifles where one is illegal because it says AR15 on the side and the other is legal because it says BS26, or an MSAR is OK but an AUG is a no go, or a 16" barrel is OK but a 15.5" barrel isn't, or that you can pin a stock in any position from open to closed and anything in between, but if you can adjust it yourself you are in the jackpot.

You can almost fit your pinky in the FSC556 on my 11.5".

No strikes, I just burned most of the metal away by torching the SOB with cyclic fire.

I understand they have lifetime guarantee but every time I email them for RMA it takes a week to sort it out (my fault not theirs) and I forget about it :D

David - nice letter, that settles that...i guess. at least it's nice to have something like that to help your case should problems arise.

High Exposure - i read you loud and clear and i'm sure that has A LOT to do with this FSC not being identified as "problematic" - which the BATFE letter also reinforces.  and yes, the fact that the letters "AR" cause such problems...is about as silly as it gets.

Thanks for the information.  Is there anything people here on the forum DON'T know..!?  ;)