Rob0115

Another is this legal in NJ question

I'm ultra sensitive to the stupidity of NJ semi auto rifle laws so thus the reason for my question.

Is the magpul PRS legal in NJ? It has the adjustable rear plate so is that collapsible or does collapsible mean telescope in the tube only? I'm building an LR308 and that would be a perfect stock. If not I'll moe A2 fixed stock it.

Thanks and happy thanksgiving.

under the definition, it extends the length so no, I do not believe it's legal and reason why I got rid of mine.

I just have a question and I'm not completely disagreeing with you because I don't know the legal answer but how is the adjustment on that stock any different then the adjustment on say the spring adjustment on a Hi point 995ts or is that considered for recoil where Magpuls adjustment stays put when the rifle is removed from the shoulder?

Interesting question!

The essence of the law states that a FOLDING or TELESCOPIC stock would

be considered an evil feature.

As I see it  -the stock def. does not fold. And the definition of TELESCOPIC is as follows:

tel·e·scop·ic
ˌteləˈskäpik/
adjective

of, relating to, or made with a telescope.
  •  
  •  

having or consisting of concentric tubular sections designed to slide into one another.

So I would say the stock is legal since it does not fold or slide into one another
It simply has an adjustable buttplate

I just think it would be perfect for my LR308.  It's going to have an 18" barrel + muzzle brake (TBD), 12" rail and a substantial stock like the PRS would rock.  

I hear all of you but it extends the length which is not disputable.  You never know with this state so I ere on the side of caution. 

also, telescoping could be rendered with the adjustment as it does slide the length into pre cut 'tube's' or holes in the buttstock. 

While I think it ridiculous and agree it's an adjustment only, you just never know

this was posted by a member a few years ago

'To: EPS Directorate
Subject: Question about legality of Magpul PRS rifle stocks in New
Jersey

Hello, I have a question about the New Jersey Assault Weapons Ban. As
you probably know, the federal ban expired in 1994, but certain states
have their own AWB that did not expire. New Jersey's is similar to the
federal ban in regards to flash hider, collapsible or telescoping
stocks, bayonet lugs, etc on semiautomatic weapons. My question is in
regards to a stock for AR-15 type rifles, known as the Magpul PRS. As
quoted from Magpul's website, the stock is adjustable for length of
pull. "Compared to the A2 stock, the PRS™ can shorten the LOP by
0.25"
or extend it by 0.75"."
(http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php ... o&cPath=70
_88_90&products_id=193).

Does this constitute a collapsible or telescoping stock? It is my
understanding that the Magpul PRS is designed to be adjustable only for
shooter comfort, not for concealment purposes. The only part of the
stock that is adjustable is the butt pad (which will only adjust 1''),
whereas the main body of the stock is fixed and does not move.

Thank you for your time

Their response below:

Thank you for contacting the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and
Explosives. The stock in question is a collapsible stock.

ATF - Enforcement Programs and Services'

So, let me get this right. If any part of the stock goes in and out, it is considered a collapsible stock? :picknose:

Regulables%20(1).JPG

d-17815.jpg

checkered_stock.jpg

I say that the butt of the stock is the adjustable part, and NOT the stock. Well hell, if the screws holding a butt pad on go in and out, does that make the stock collapsible?

The response from the ATF is moot. There currently is no federal law regulating stock types, so their definition carries no weight of law in NJ.

The NJ law clearly stipulates folding or telescoping neither of which applies to the PRS. Perfectly legal.

152dm6x.jpg

As an aside - there was a case in South Jersey, and although it was not precedent setting, the argument was successfully made that the M4 stock was adjustable, not telescoping and the person beat that count. The PRS, by any stretch, is a perfectly legal stock.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IANAL

I don't know pk, you responded in that original thread that if you have to ask you shouldn't buy it.  All I'm saying is that it does extend the buttstock so why take the chance?  You guys can argue the stupidity and common sense stuff all day and I AGREE WITH YOU but this is NJ remember.....

great looking rig pizza, that said, if NJ had a question they would certainly turn to the ATF for clarification.  Didn't they do that in the ak case?

webster dictionary

: made or seen with a telescope

: having the power to make objects that are far away appear to be closer

: able to become longer or shorter by having sections that slide inside one another

under that definition, the rule certainly applies

if NJ had a question they would certainly turn to the ATF for clarification.  Didn't they do that in the ak case?

No they wouldn't. The ATF has no standing to rule on a state law and there is no federal law that applies in this case. They would not involve themselves in a case based on a state law. I am unaware of the "AK case."

webster dictionary

: made or seen with a telescope

: having the power to make objects that are far away appear to be closer

: able to become longer or shorter by having sections that slide inside one another

under that definition, the rule certainly applies

To be technical, they do not slide inside one another. LOP is adjusted by a screw mechanism. Many firearms manufacturers have offered the PRS as OE on their guns sold in NJ - Sig with their original DMR model for one.

While it may be prudent to err on the side of caution, NJ-ites tend to overthink things - often to their detriment.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

yeah, NJ is absolutely full retard on this stuff...lol

ere on the side of caution because if you can believe the gun community has debated this stock (google shows it has), then you better believe a overactive DA would absolutely see it the way his/her prejudice is.  The length on this stock extends, reading both webster and mcmillian, I can absolutely see it as telescoping from that overzealous DA's point of view despite the fact that I disagree with that interpretation vehemently cause it's a fixed stock with an adjustment piece.

If NJSP or NJ legal has questions, they absolutely will turn to ATF for answers if unsure.  Hell, we all cite them on the pws brake.  You can't cherry pick your points on that.  There is ample evidence in past firearms cases of the state turning to the feds for answers.  A quick google search shows this.

makes for a fun debate though

enjoy your holiday everyone, I have to do family stuff for a little while......God Bless

OMG!!! But it says LAR-15 on the receiver.

What will he do? :roulette:

Just mess'n with ya.

That's the RRA model.  I'm doing DPMS style.  The receiver says LR-308--you almost had me there!  :)