Sign in to follow this  
ogfarmer

772LB Black bear harvested in PA Bear hunt

dam were gonna need a bigger.......um ....um

A guy in PA harvested a 772lb black bear largest Bear this season, I am not sure what the hell I would do when if I stumbled upon him when expecting some thing a bit smaller.

When he went hunting on the second day of bear season, Covington Twp. resident Daniel Beavers found himself reaching for his father Jacob's .30-06 rifle instead of his usual choice, a 12-gauge shotgun.

About an hour into the hunt, Mr. Beavers fired his now-deceased father's rifle twice at an enormous male black bear, taking down the largest recorded bear in the state so far this season.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission said the bear weighed 772 pounds, and Mr. Beavers, 49, said he will find out in two months if the Boone and Crockett Club determines if the skull's size is a world record.

Mr. Beavers said he sees his prize as a tribute to his father, who taught Mr. Beavers to hunt at age 12. The pair went hunting together every year until his death in 2012.

"We worked together every day in the woods at the family logging business (Beavers Logging & Firewood)," said Mr. Beavers.

Mr. Beavers said he was close with his dad, and coping with the loss has sometimes been difficult since the elder Mr. Beavers died in hospice in February 2012 at 75.

"I don't know why I decided to take his gun," said Mr. Beavers. "I guess I was thinking about him."

Mr. Beavers had his eye on that particular bear for four to five years and said "I finally caught up with him in hunting season."

Besides the animal's size, Mr. Beavers said he recognized the bear by an unusual white "V" on its chest.

He thought the bear was gone after not seeing the animal for about two years, but Mr. Beavers said the black bear approached his group in a marshy area about a quarter mile from the Covington Twp. border with Clifton Twp. on Monday.

The animal was only the second bear he has ever taken. The last one was a 355-pound bear he shot in 2007.

"I don't know if I'll ever beat that one," Mr. Beavers said of his latest kill. "It's big."

According to the state Game Commission, the first two days of the four-day statewide bear season produced a harvest of 2,044 black bears, down slightly from 2,086 during the same period in 2012.

Last year, hunters killed 3,632 bears over four days - the third-largest total in state history. The most kills came in 2011 when hunters took 4,350 bears.

Other Northeast Pennsylvania residents who bagged sizeable bears included Jenna L. Schoenagel of Greentown in Pike County, who killed a 597-pounder; Ernest W. Lucrezi of Beach Lake in Wayne County took a 560-pound bear; and Randy L. Klem of Mountaintop killed a 556-pound bear.

Acorss Northeast Pennsylvania, the Game Commission reported the following bear kill totals by county: Pike, 71; Wayne, 46; Luzerne, 39; Monroe, 27; Wyoming, 22; Lackawanna, 21; and Susquehanna, 12. Bear season ends today.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/covington-twp-man-bags-772-pound-bear-in-lackawanna-county-1.1592124

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/30/pennsylvania-man-reportedly-bags-772-pound-black-bear/

A guy in PA harvested a 772lb black bear largest Bear this season, I am not sure what the hell I would do when if I stumbled upon him when expecting some thing a bit smaller.

Call a bunch of friends, preferably hunters who will understand your predicament.  Quartering is legal in NJ to get the bear to the check station.  But quartering a nearly half ton animal still leaves you with enormously large pieces.