Sign in to follow this  
Sixtytwo327

Compact 30mm Scope

I’m going to scope my PTR. Finally. I’d prefer a short 1-4 or intermediate 2-7 power scope for casual target / range use. I've done some research, but am no expert. What kind of compact, 30mm scopes are available?

Only two caveats:

First, the scope must be 11” or less to clear the forward charging handle.

Second, I'd prefer a 30mm main tube, as I have a pair of high quality rings - but I can do 1" for a good scope. 

What do you have – or have experience with? Do you like it? What have you hunted with? Is there really that much difference between 30mm and 1"? Should I just buy an AimPoint and be done with it?

Thanks; any advice appreciated.

most 1-4's will be less than 11"

The Nightforce 1-4 is less than 9" long.  SWFA 1-4 is a little over 10" long.  The Vortex 1-4 are 1-6 is under 11" as well.  All three are 30mm tubes.

You failed to mention your price point.

Most quality optics will be 30mm or 34mm, the 1" stuff is usually meh at best.  Okay for plinking maybe, but won't stand up to hard use over the long run.

Nightforce is bombproof for the most part, the SWFA scopes get really good reviews and are not expencive, Vortex seems to have a good following.

The other guys like, USO, S&B, Steiner will be way more money but are top notch as well.

You failed to mention your price point.

Sorry - $250 - $500.

Leaning towards Leupold VX-R 1-4 or 2-7. Nikon used to make a 1.5-6x42 for I think about $600, but it's discontinued. Some of the Vortex optics look like they're worth checking out, thanks. While I'd love a high-end Nightforce or an AccuPoint, I can't justify it, given the relative infrequency I shoot this rifle.

I guess the question is, worth getting a lower-end 30mm scope, or just shooting irons and saving... decisions, decisions.