oldguysrule649

Securing my Generator

Thought I would share what I did to be able to secure my generator.

When in use, it will be along side my home.  However, there was not fixed object available that I could chain it to.

So what I did was pour a concrete piling/footing along side my house, and in it a cemented a very large eye bolt, thru which a chain or security cable could pass.

Specifically I mixed and poured two 80 lbs bags of concrete into a 12 inch diameter hole approx 20 " deep.  Used a 12" diameter Sonotube as a form.

I also forced a large nut onto the end of the eyebolt so that it would be very securely held into the concrete.

I am very much a novice at masonry.  One tip.  After implanting the eyebolt into the concrete, I layed a stick across the top of the sonotube and tied a string from it thru the eyebolt.

This was to prevent the eyebolt from sinking all the way down into the concrete while it dried.

regards,  Art

p.s. the weak link in this arrangement is likely the handle/bar on the generator itself.  But at least this will slow a thief down.

Also, if you have not already purchased chain/security cables and high quality locks, recommend you do so asap as the shelves were bare after

Hurricane Sandy.

Sounds like you should be good.  Do you really have a problem where you are that you expect someone to steal it?  This is what I did with mine, I built it its own house:

6560650997_a2530e468d_z_d.jpg

The eves are open and I have a big fan in the house for air circulation and an extension on the exhaust pipe to send the exhaust out the back.  This keeps it safe and dry, and muffles the noise so you barely know it is running.  If you have not already done so, drive a six or eight foot copper rod into the ground and secure it to the grounding lug on the generator.  Too many people fail to ground these things and that is just asking for trouble.

Nickjc,

1) Yes the eyebolt had a long shaft and since it's not machine thread, I had to force a large automotive nut onto it.  The addition of a weld would have been an improvement but I did not have a torch.  Believe me, once the concrete dried, it is not going anywhere.

2) For now I have several steel security cables I purchased at Lowes/Home Depot.  Did research super strong hardened chain online. However, cost as much as $8 per foot.  Also purchased the highest quality/hardened locks they had in stock.  (Boron carbide, as I recall).

Will take and post pics when I get a chance.  (Am working at this moment.)

regards

I made a small concrete pad for my sister. It's 4 inches thick and I used eyebolts as well. I added washers and nuts to the eyebolt to really anchor it in the concrete. I used a pad because it will keep it a few inches off the ground and off of the snow or rainwater if present.

Crime is not normally a big issue where I live.  However, in the aftermath of a disaster such as Hurricane Sandy), the overall community was in distress, had no power, nor heat. So yes, theft then becomes a concern.

Plus my generator is a Honda EU3000IS.  Cost $2200.  Not something that I would want stolen.

regards

Sounds like you should be good.  Do you really have a problem where you are that you expect someone to steal it?  This is what I did with mine, I built it its own house:

6560650997_a2530e468d_z_d.jpg

The eves are open and I have a big fan in the house for air circulation and an extension on the exhaust pipe to send the exhaust out the back.  This keeps it safe and dry, and muffles the noise so you barely know it is running.  If you have not already done so, drive a six or eight foot copper rod into the ground and secure it to the grounding lug on the generator.  Too many people fail to ground these things and that is just asking for trouble.

This is great!

Towns up by me have imposed ordinances, building codes and permits for both permanent hookups and even for portable units.

I have a Honda 3000is too and the handles are the weak point, but certainly enough to slow someone down and certainly better then leaving it unlocked.

For Sandy It was up on my deck for the most part, so not secured. But after some spilled gas that was not washed down I moved it the driveway and used a kyrptonite cable to secure it to my camper.

A standard eye bolt is fairly soft metal compared to what you are using to secure it with. Hack sawing either the bolt or handles would be fairly easy and if the thief thinks about it, cut the bolt, that way you still have two handles to haul away a 140 generator.

Honda should have had a security option with the price of that genny.

I plan on adding something to mine that will at least be more secure then just the handles. Not worried at home, but I do use this for a weeks stay at Dover every year.

Google motorcycle concrete anchors for some ideas. Hardened anchors and chains available.

The look alike doghouse is a great idea

http://2wheeldiscount.com/Mammoth-Ground-Anchor-Concrete-In-P991153.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2785/i/kryptonite-stronghold-above-ground-anchor

http://www.yanchor.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pOoXswxnc

https://www.google.com/search?q=motorcycle+concrete+anchors&client=firefox-a&hs=kyw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LWOfUtGiO_LOsASbw4DIAw&ved=0CGsQsAQ&biw=1260&bih=650

A piece of bent over #8 rebar would be a good loop in concrete.

Can one buy a piece of bent rebar, if not how does one bend it?

I appreciate this thread, I want to spend income tax return money on a generator and now I know where I wan it and how to secure it.

I'm going to do something like the doghouse on a concrete slab.

Should I run wire through a pipe into the little house?

Before pouring the concrete into the sonotube, suspend two feet of case hardened chain onto it. Either leave one link above the concrete to act like an eyebolt, or leave a couple feet on chain exposed to loop around the generator or anything else you don't want to walk.

I don't know if you can buy them bent.  I would use a vice and brute force.

2lb hammer and a vice...takes no time at all.   I used to make "paint can" weights back in the day for anchoring traps in muddy swampy areas where you could drive a 6 foot pole into the muck and pull it out with no effort.

CO is not the only issue, as I mentioned before make sure the generator is grounded.  Too many people get electrocuted using ungrounded portable generators.  Remember there is a high probability you will be using this thing in the rain and snow and electricity and water don't mix well.

That's a kick ass setup howard. Is that a concrete pad it is sitting on?

Not concrete, as its just a "dog house" not a permanent structure ;)   Its on heavily tamped ground and then sits on 1" thick slate.  Here is a shot of the framing:

Probably built better than some houses

6484072877_4a0026ed6c_o_d.jpg

As some of the guys above mention, you want hardened steel.  Regular mild steel eye bolts or rebar can be cut though in seconds w. a battery powered Sawzall or disc grinder. 

Use high psi concrete (it's only a few bucks more than regular gravel mix) and add steel reinforcement to the pour.  Any scraps you have lying around will do.  It will be much harder to break up than concrete alone. 

If you are pouring in cold weather, add Anti-hydro to the mix. 

Regarding the mention of Carbon Monoxide risk.  Yes, an excellent cautionary point for people to consider.   My property size is small, so I have limited options on where to place the generator.  It would be plugged via a long heavy duty twist lock cord into an outside receptacle that is connected to a transfer switch mounted next to the service panel in my garage.   I have numerous CO detectors as well as Smoke/Fire detectors throughout my house.  I replace them all every 5 years; most recently after Hurricane Sandy.  I also have on hand three complete sets of replacement batteries for every battery powered device I would be relying on in an emergency; including all the aforementioned detectors. 

Simple guideline to follow with your portable, no closer then 5 feet from any opening in your house, door, window, vent etc.

Minimum 5 feet from any combustible portions of the building. That's code for standby generators.

And common sense would say, face the exhaust away from the structure.

Am I the only one who wants to set up their generator in a garage?

Yes, I realize what I have said here. I'd love to have a custom exhaust made for my portable generator so I could pump the exhaust out of my garage. I'm not going to because of the risk of fire and such. Maybe when I build my shed I will.

During sandy we chained my generator to my 4000lb F150. However, super chain, concrete pads, etc won't stop a determined thief. I will say, I do like the idea of building the generator a little house just to stop the noise.

Am I the only one who wants to set up their generator in a garage?

Yes, I realize what I have said here. I'd love to have a custom exhaust made for my portable generator so I could pump the exhaust out of my garage. I'm not going to because of the risk of fire and such. Maybe when I build my shed I will.

During sandy we chained my generator to my 4000lb F150. However, super chain, concrete pads, etc won't stop a determined thief. I will say, I do like the idea of building the generator a little house just to stop the noise.

Please rewrite your will so that I will get all your guns.  I will be getting them very soon if you persist in using a generator in a garage that is attached to your home.  NOT a good idea!!!!

Please rewrite your will so that I will get all your guns.  I will be getting them very soon if you persist in using a generator in a garage that is attached to your home.  NOT a good idea!!!!

He indicated having a custom exhaust made to duct the exhaust gases out of the garage. 

You have more CO in your house from your gas range, gas dryer, gas water heater and gas furnace than he will have from his properly exhausted emergency generator.

Can one buy a piece of bent rebar, if not how does one bend it?

I appreciate this thread, I want to spend income tax return money on a generator and now I know where I wan it and how to secure it.

I'm going to do something like the doghouse on a concrete slab.

Should I run wire through a pipe into the little house?

Put it in a vice or wedge between something sturdy, take a decent length of pipe as a lever and bend it . A pair of 4' bolt cutters will cut or snap 1/2" hardened steel with little effort. I know i have done it when i lose keys or combos

He indicated having a custom exhaust made to duct the exhaust gases out of the garage. 

You have more CO in your house from your gas range, gas dryer, gas water heater and gas furnace than he will have from his properly exhausted emergency generator.

Actually he said this: Yes, I realize what I have said here. I'd love to have a custom exhaust made for my portable generator so I could pump the exhaust out of my garage. I'm not going to because of the risk of fire and such. Maybe when I build my shed I will.  Which says to me he is running it in the garage without any exhaust mechanism.  Actually very little CO in the house from range, dryer or water heater as they all have dedicated vents to the outside.

Seriously?

"properly exhausted emergency generator"

Not possible unless it is outside.

Of course it is possible.  Haven't you ever gone to a mechanic that works on cars with the engines running inside a garage?  They attach a hose to the tailpipe and run it out a little hole in the garage door.  The same thing can be done with a generator.  That is what I did with mine that sits in the dog house.  It has a pipe about a foot long that dumps the exhaust out behind the dog house.