Sign in to follow this  
fireanicz

Benchmade 581 Osborne

Knives were a gateway drug that lead me to handguns ...nice looking blade!

I'm a ZT and Spyderco guy myself. But I will likely get around to picking up a Benchmade eventually lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first Benchmade, I looked at ZT and Spyderco both which are good knives also but went with the Benchmade as it is made in USA. Benchmade offers to sharpen your knife for $5.00 and inspect and make any adjustments as needed. Pretty nice of a company to do so. Some of the Spyderco are made in Korea. I just got this thing that if I'm going to spend a couple hundred on a knife I'd like it to be made in USA. Although the Japanese put out some great knives.

ZT meets all those same qualifications too lol

The Spyderco I have was made in Japan ...it's good quality but I'm definitely gonna check out the Benchmades too! There's a few models that look like they'd fit me well.

Nice what steel might it be? As far as I know only the bottom of the line spyderco tenacious line is made in China along with the bug knives. Then you have the Japanese ones, then the Taiwanese ones too. Finally there are quite a few USA produced models as well. ZT are also all US made but kershaw has some cheaper Chinese shit.

Yeah my EDC Spyderco is a Japanese Caly II is Japanese made VG-10 steel. Easy to keep razor/hair popping sharp. Then I have a ZT300 and a ZT350 - both US made and both S30V steel. I'd say they hold an edge much longer but they are a little trickier to sharpen (especially with the kind of recurve to the blade). But like Benchmade if you ship the knife to ZT they sharpen and send it back on their dime. I thought all ZT knives were made in the USA?

(For the record I'm a knife junkie and have a bunch more knives lol. ESEE are my absolute favorite fixed blade knives.)

Nice what steel might it be? As far as I know only the bottom of the line spyderco tenacious line is made in China along with the bug knives. Then you have the Japanese ones, then the Taiwanese ones too. Finally there are quite a few USA produced models as well. ZT are also all US made but kershaw has some cheaper Chinese shit.

The steel on it is M390, supposed to hold it's sharpness for quite some time.

Google translate came up with this:

Steel M390PM is stainless steel produced by powder metallurgy. Steel in the calcined state of well-machining, after heat treatment has excellent resistance to wear, easily polished. Steel is a highly homogeneous structure with very fine carbides, after proper heat treatment has excellent resistance to wear and tear - durability of the blade (greater than 19 573 / D2). Steel has high toughness (resistance to breakage).

Composition: 1.90% C, 0.70% Si, 0.30% Mn, 20.0% Cr, 1.0% Mo, 4.0% V 0.6% V

Heat treatment: austenitizace in a protective atmosphere from 1070 to 1150 ° C in a vacuum from 1120 to 1200 ° C. Hardness in turbidity after 60 -62 HRC during cooling in air.

After hardening is recommended deep freeze

Tempering: 150 to 400 ° C, the resulting hardness of 56-58 HRC

Maximum wear resistance achieved after quenching from 1150 ° C and 2 + podmražení tempering cycles at 540 ° C, 58-62 HRC (Attention, slightly reducing the corrosion resistance).

Yeah my EDC Spyderco is a Japanese Caly II is Japanese made VG-10 steel. Easy to keep razor/hair popping sharp. Then I have a ZT300 and a ZT350 - both US made and both S30V steel. I'd say they hold an edge much longer but they are a little trickier to sharpen (especially with the kind of recurve to the blade). But like Benchmade if you ship the knife to ZT they sharpen and send it back on their dime. I thought all ZT knives were made in the USA?

(For the record I'm a knife junkie and have a bunch more knives lol. ESEE are my absolute favorite fixed blade knives.)

Currently, most are produced in USA manufacturing facilities which are located in Tualatin, Oregon with some goods coming from their Japanese and Chinese factories.

I really wish they'd stay away from China. Those copying bastards are trying to sabotage our economy. And it's not the people of china it's their government. Though these days it seems our own government is trying to sabotage our economy too.