Bugsy732

Tactical Rifle/Shotgun Course January 25, 2014 @ Shooters

Hey Everyone, I have scheduled a second Class in January at an INDOOR range for those who missed the class i put together in November. Please see below for info.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Tactical Rifle/Shotgun Course" at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor, NJ. This class will have a 8-10 person limit. This provides for a intimate learning experience and better student instructor rapport.

The instructor is  Kharis Sepulveda (sepulvedainc.com). He recently taught the class i set up at South Jersey Shooting Club this past November. Everyone who attended agreed that he is a great instructor with the students interests and safety in mind. He is very easy to learn from and interact with. He is a NRA instructor for various disciplines, more information on Kharis can be found here: Credentials

The course will cover a number of things from various rifles for home defense as well as various shooting drills. I have asked that a Primary to secondary transition technique be added to the training list as well (for those of us who have pistols as well).

NOTE: THIS IS A PRIVATE CLASS AND DAY OF WALK ON's WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND THIS CLASS.

• Date: January 25, 2014
  • Location: Shooters Sporting Center - Little Egg Harbor, NJ - (just off the parkway)
  • Class Size: 10 person limit
  • Cost: $160 - 50% deposit due at registration.
  • Course Length: 7 hours +/-
  • Start time: 10:30am
  • Schedule:
    • Classroom Session: 10:30am-1pm (aprox)
    • Lunch: 1pm - 1:30pm (please try and pack your own lunch if possible)
    • Range/Shooting Session: 1:30pm - 5:30pm +/- 
  • Minimum Ammo: 80-100 rounds of centerfire ammunition or shotgun equivalent (students who attended the November class shot between 100 - 150 rounds of rifle ammo and 20-40 rounds of pistol)
  • Students must bring your own AMMO and rifle/pistol to use. LOANERS WILL NOT BE PROVIDED.

The class is open to the first 10 people on the list in post 2. I will PM each person instructions on how to register for the class and how to pay your deposit. If anyone decides to not participate in the class their spot will be given to the next person in line. Once you decide not to take the class you will lose you spot in the line and move to the back of the line.

I will be updating the 2nd post in this thread with the registered members so you can all keep track with me. I will also update the first post and title accordingly.

If you have any questions please post here or PM me.

Here is a brief course description from Kharis's website:

Course Description
This course is designed for those individuals that want to utilize a center-fire rifle for home defense. This 7 hour +/- class will go over the various tactical techniques needed to efficiently deploy a rifle in a close quarters environment. The following topics will be reviewed:
  • Using different types of rifles for home defense; semi-automatic, lever action, bolt-action and pump-action.
  • Combat Loading techniques
  • Moving and Shooting tactics. Students will have an opportunity to move and shoot down range in order to learn how to effectively handle a rifle in a realistic training environment.
  • Using the appropriate loads for close quarter engagements
  • Shooting from various positions: standing, kneeling, sitting and prone behind cover
  • NJ Use of Force laws
  • Levels of Mental Awareness
  • Rifle to pistol transitions 

Upon completion of the course, the student will have a thorough understanding as to how to properly deploy a rifle in a home-defense environment.

Ammunition requirements:
  • A minimum of 80 - 100 rounds of center-fire ammunition (or shotgun equivalent)

Equipment requirements:
  • Students must bring their own rifle/pistol and ammunition to the class. (there is a pro shop on site but you never know if they will have your ammo in stock)
  • Class size will be limited to 10 students per session. Walk-ins are not permitted. All students need to pre-register for the course.
  • If you wish to participate in the Transition drills you will need to bring your own pistol, holster and ammo.
  • Rifle sling is not necessary but is recommended.
  • Magazines - having at least 2 magazines is suggested
  • Pad and Paper for notes on drills and the classroom session.

Please post your questions or interest in attending

this one builds on the one from november? if so, please sign me up.

Hey Jon, this one is the same as the one we took in November. If you want to take this class again as a refresher i can work out a deal for you with Kharis. LMK.

The next class (carbine 2 will not be till Feb or march). I'll put you on the list.

Hey Jon, this one is the same as the one we took in November. If you want to take this class again as a refresher i can work out a deal for you with Kharis. LMK.

The next class (carbine 2 will not be till Feb or march). I'll put you on the list.

ya know what? put me on the list anyway. it was fun as hell, and we can never have too much training.

:::::edit:::::

if the class doesn't fill up, put me on. if there's 10 people signed up that haven't had it, then i'll step back, and let someone else....but otherwise, sign me up for more fun.

Haven't picked my next dive vacation yet as I'm waiting for the travel agent to get back to. So please out me down for a spot.

As there will be a carbine class in the spring should I hold off in bringing my AR till then and get a shotty for this (along with my pistol)?

Date: January 15, 2014
  • Location: Shooters Sporting Center - Little Egg Harbor, NJ - (just off the parkway)
  • Start time: 10:30am
  • Minimum Ammo: 80-100 rounds of centerfire ammunition or shotgun equivalent

Per my PM, sign me up.

Questions:

1. The thread title lists January 25, the 1st post info lists January 15th. I'm guessing the 15th is correct since it is a weekend?
  2. 80-100 rounds of centerfire - since this is an indoor course, is that pistol or rifle centerfire?
  3. Shotgun ammo in addition too or in place of?
  4. For the rifle, if you have either a centerfire or rimfire AR is there a preference for this particular course?
  5. And since this is a basic - beginners course, of which I'll say I qualify for that, should we bring all three, rifle, pistol and shotgun?
  6. Is this the range that requires frangible ammo?

Haven't picked my next dive vacation yet as I'm waiting for the travel agent to get back to. So please out me down for a spot.

As there will be a carbine class in the spring should I hold off in bringing my AR till then and get a shotty for this (along with my pistol)?

I will put you on the list. You can bring both rifles with you and decide what one to use when you are there. The instructor covers the use of both Rifle and Shotgun usage.

Per my PM, sign me up.

Questions:

1. The thread title lists January 25, the 1st post info lists January 15th. I'm guessing the 15th is correct since it is a weekend?
  2. 80-100 rounds of centerfire - since this is an indoor course, is that pistol or rifle centerfire?
  3. Shotgun ammo in addition too or in place of?
  4. For the rifle, if you have either a centerfire or rimfire AR is there a preference for this particular course?
  5. And since this is a basic - beginners course, of which I'll say I qualify for that, should we bring all three, rifle, pistol and shotgun?
  6. Is this the range that requires frangible ammo?

I'll get you added to the list. and here are the answers for your questions (in order)

1. Corrected the original post. The correct date is the 25th.
  2. you should bring 80-100 rounds of ammo for the rifle you will be using. If you will be using a shotgun then bring shot gun ammo. The Indoor range allows for AR's and Long guns on the indoor range.
  3. Bring the ammo applicable to the rifle you will be using. If you wish to participate in the Rifle to pistol transition drills bring your pistol and at least 40 rounds of ammo. Note about rifle ammo. We shot about 150 rounds +/- in the November class
  4. CENTERFIRE Rifles and Pistols and SHOTGUN's Only.  no rimfire for this class. This class is based on Defensive tactics. The instructor wants you to be comfortable using the weapon you would use to protect yourself. a 22lr is not considered to be an adequate caliber for defense. 
  5. you can bring all 3 weapons and ammo for each. the instructor will go over various topics and tactics. You may find that an AR may be best for the class but when you get there decide that you want to run a Shotgun in stead.  Myself, i used my AR and Beretta pistol for the November class. 
  6. I believe so but i will double check and get back to you tomorrow

if you have any more questions please post up!!

Sign me in, please.

Ill pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will add you to the list!

Does this class require a lot of movement? I just had ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair on Friday and I don't know if I will be physically ready for this yet but I figured I'd ask.

The shooting portion of the class does have some movement but not like you're diving in to cover or Supermaning over a table or anything like that. Simple movements. If you can not bend or kneel by then you can improvise the drills standing. But at least you will learn the drill and technique so you can practice it when you are ready. 

Here is one of the drills we did. Please don't mind the failure near the last cover point (55sec). That was me not slapping the mag all the way in so the rounds didnt seat property. 

hey......fast question on ammo. this one's gonna be indoors, right? do we need any specific ammo for indoors shooting of our ar?

I emailed the instructor the same question. Standard ammo is fine.

Bummer i would be all over this but we have a fundraiser saturday.. I live ten minutes from shooters..I have been waiting for tom to come up with IDPA.. Only thing is the range is a little on the small side..

Classes like this are very fitting at Toms range.. I will keep an eye out for future classes..

January 25th Tactical Rifle/Shotgun Class Attendee List

• Bugsy732 - Confirmed
  • Bugsy732 guest - Confirmed
  • 1Ltcap
  • Cmor1701d
  • Porthole
  • Back on Target
  • back on target +1
  • medicyeti

Last updated 12/8/13

It will be nice to put real names and faces together.

I'm Ron. I'm tough to miss at 6'7" tall.

See you folks in a few hours.