deerpark

Please recommend a cleaning kit, preferably one for both handguns and rifles.

Get yourself a tackle box and start collecting cleaning supplies. As your gun collection grows, so will your stock of stuff. You really don't need all that much stuff. Here are the basics (I'm sure I'll forget half of them, but it's not that big of a deal.

Qtips

Cleaning rod with handle (short for pistols and a long one for rifles- solid brass or fiberglass are better than screw together type)

Cloth swatches (I like cut up cotton t-shirts and clothes)

Cleaning mat

Hoppe's #9

Gun oil

Bore brush for each caliber

A dental tool or similar for nooks and crannies

That will do most jobs.

You can expand with lead removal rags, silicone rags, boresnakes, whatever.

I love the little, packable, hockey puck Otis kit. Cleans everything I own (.22 to 12 Ga) and the only thing I added to my kit is an old toothbrush and a rag.

Cabela's has their "version"... it's the same thing... just with "Cabela's" embroidered on the nylon case.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Maintenance/Cleaning-Kits-Accessories%7C/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104270580/Cabelas-Tactical-Cleaning-System/707169.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1102325%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd708553&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd708553%3Bcat104270580

Get yourself a tackle box and start collecting cleaning supplies. As your gun collection grows, so will your stock of stuff. You really don't need all that much stuff. Here are the basics (I'm sure I'll forget half of them, but it's not that big of a deal.

Qtips

Cleaning rod with handle (short for pistols and a long one for rifles- solid brass or fiberglass are better than screw together type)

Cleaning mat

Hoppe's #9

Gun oil

That will do most jobs.

This.

Don't buy a kit. Buy individual items as you need them.

Buy solvent in large containers and gun oil in small. A couple drops go a long way.

Cross use stuff you already have. Any rag can be used as cleaning mat. Dry bike chain lube works fine as gun oil.

What gun are you looking to clean exactly? Videos will be different for different weapons

Everything.  :(

Qtips

Cleaning mat

Hoppe's #9

Gun oil

That will do most jobs.

Would it make sense to start with some kind of kit and then add/replace as necessary?

Boresnakes are worth their weight in gold. 

Boresnakes you say?

i think he meant the actual grip..  i dont find it particularly necessary to clean the grip (i have rubber grips) and i try to keep the cleaning solution off the grips as much as possible..  then again, i probably havent shot as much as others.. 

and dude..  boresnakes are great..   i use them on my 22's because getting a rod in there is nigh on impossible

i started with a small Otis kit and have bought some individual things as ive gone along..  definitely get a nice box for all of it to keep it together..  i am only using a regular box right now..  need to get myself a tackle box one of these days..

I love the little, packable, hockey puck Otis kit. Cleans everything I own (.22 to 12 Ga) and the only thing I added to my kit is an old toothbrush and a rag.

Cabela's has their "version"... it's the same thing... just with "Cabela's" embroidered on the nylon case.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Maintenance/Cleaning-Kits-Accessories%7C/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104270580/Cabelas-Tactical-Cleaning-System/707169.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1102325%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd708553&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd708553%3Bcat104270580

I also have the Otis kits for sale in our Army Navy store if you go that route.  Priced less than online.  Pm if interested.  

boresnakes, qtips, cleaning patches, fire clean, and nylon brushes (toothbrushes) are all i use.  i need to get something to clean my AR barrel properly but thats about it. 

Yah, after giving it more thought and reading reviews on Amazon, I think I'm just going to get the individual items that I need say from Walmart.

Is a .223 brush interchangeable with 22LR?