Smokin .50

M-1 Garand Or 10 ga. SxS Muzzleloader For Hog Hunt? Help Me Decide!

Going back and forth in my head about which harvest system to use on Mosin Rob's Hog Hunt next month!  Part of me wants to stay with the "Holy Black" and deliberately make it more of a challenge by limiting the effective range via the big muzzleloading smoothbore (with a Cap-N-Ball revolver for back-up) with its' 1.25 oz. solid lead .715 ball.  The other side of me wants to bring a little WW2 "Battle of the Bulge" flavor into the mix with my circa 1943 .30-06 Springfield Armory M-1 Garand (with an Officer's .45 Colt Automatic Pistol for back-up).  

Not sure which system to bring.  Last April I took a Hog from 20 yards away with a single .456 conical shot from my Cap-N-Ball Colt Walker black powder revolver.  The challenge was heart-racing, FUN and well worth it.

Your thoughts gentlemen?

Dave

Personally I would use the m1, I haven't been bitten by the black powder bug yet but of bit were me id rather be able to make a follow up shot instead of switching to a side arm.

Both will definitely do their part tho :)

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I will see you at the hunt.

I will have a Marlin 1895 Lever in 45-70, because I need an adjustment done on my shoulder and 45-70 ammo is slightly cheaper than a chiropractor. :)

Too FUNNY!  Are you going to use powder-puff Trapdoor Springfield loads or be a REAL MAN and reach for the orange box of Barnes Heavy bullets that are NOT for use in Trap Doors, lol?  (You said you wanted to get "adjusted" , right?  LOL, too funny!

Can't wait to finally meet you!  Are you gonna pack one of your Wheelies for a sidearm?  You may not want to have to do a "finish-up brain shot" up close and cover both you and the Guide Gun with gray matter, lol!

Dave

WWII seems like a nice alternative this year.

Especially if it's raining!  I've already located an old supply of latex condoms to place over the muzzle for slinging the battle rifle.  I'll bring extras to share with the Hunting Party.  Will work fine for Lunker's Guide Gun too, lol!

Do it all Walker.  That was really a horse pistol anyway. 

Frank,

Part of me is thinkin' this way too, lol!  You should have been there last April to see the looks I got from the Guides when they asked me "Where's YOUR Gun?", and I pulled-aside my Hunter Orange bird vest and revealed a brace of Cap-N-Ball revolvers and NO long gun at all, lol!  Precious I tell ya!  Simply "precious"!

I may hand-off the scattergun and reach for the Walker if I'm close enough.  If not, that .715 round ball will do the job just FINE!

Too FUNNY!  Are you going to use powder-puff Trapdoor Springfield loads or be a REAL MAN and reach for the orange box of Barnes Heavy bullets that are NOT for use in Trap Doors, lol?  (You said you wanted to get "adjusted" , right?  LOL, too funny!

Can't wait to finally meet you!  Are you gonna pack one of your Wheelies for a sidearm?  You may not want to have to do a "finish-up brain shot" up close and cover both you and the Guide Gun with gray matter, lol!

Dave

Well, I compromised and got some of the Hornady Leverrevolution on sale at Sprtsmans Guide. It is 325grain with ballistic tip. I was thinking about the 400+ grain rounds, but I didn't want to accidentally take out more than one pig with overpenetration. :)

I didn't really think about a sidearm. If anything, I would probably bring my Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Or I could bring my Dan Wesson 1911. Don't know which would be a more humane finisher if one was needed. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Frank,

Part of me is thinkin' this way too, lol!  You should have been there last April to see the looks I got from the Guides when they asked me "Where's YOUR Gun?", and I pulled-aside my Hunter Orange bird vest and revealed a brace of Cap-N-Ball revolvers and NO long gun at all, lol!  Precious I tell ya!  Simply "precious"!

I may hand-off the scattergun and reach for the Walker if I'm close enough.  If not, that .715 round ball will do the job just FINE!

Well I'm a SISSY BOY.  I'm shooting Florida with my old Super Black Hawk.  The second one with AR and Nosler Partitions and the third with 16" barreled SKS.

Depending on distance of opportunity the order may change.

I am going on Friday. I will be using a Mosin Model 38 , shooting a 150 Gr Soft Point :)

Have FUN Iggy and say a big Rosey "Merry Christmas" to all of the Old Bridge Gang for me!  Good luck to ALL and let us know how much FUN you had!  I'm expecting a complete After-Action Report now, lol!

Well I'm a SISSY BOY.  I'm shooting Florida with my old Super Black Hawk.  The second one with AR and Nosler Partitions and the third with 16" barreled SKS.

Depending on distance of opportunity the order may change.

Above sounds like a well thought-out plan!  Are you going sometime this winter or later in the spring?

Well, I compromised and got some of the Hornady Leverrevolution on sale at Sprtsmans Guide. It is 325grain with ballistic tip. I was thinking about the 400+ grain rounds, but I didn't want to accidentally take out more than one pig with overpenetration. :)

I didn't really think about a sidearm. If anything, I would probably bring my Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman. Or I could bring my Dan Wesson 1911. Don't know which would be a more humane finisher if one was needed. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Funny you should mention over-penetration with slower-moving 405 grain RNFP slugs.  Back-in-the-day Buffalo Hunters would use Trapdoors and other models from 200 yards on crossed-sticks.  Folks don't realize just what a .45-70 can actually DO, lol!

As for sidearms, stick with the .45 with factory Ball.  I've seen 9mm need several to finish the job, due to skull thickness.  Not much difference in 147 vs. 158 and the diameter is the same...  The .45 weighs twice as much (as 9mm Ball) and thus packs enough punch to get "in there" and quickly end the fight.

I was both skillful AND lucky...the mighty Walker's 225 grain .456 soft lead conical started expanding as soon as it hit, and all of the energy was absorbed inside the wound channel, which perforated both lungs.  My Hog simply fell-over sideways like something out of the Keystone Cops or Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In TV Show, lol!  In less than 20 seconds it was all over.  Sorta anti-climatic really.  All it took was ONE!  We'll see how we all do this year, lol!

^^^^^Enjoy the warm weather down South Frank, and be sure to have someone snap some pix with you hunting in short sleeves, lol!  Those little ones are good eatin', but they make a smaller target, lol!

what hunt?  how do I get in on this?

Garand, no question about it

Please see Mosin Rob's Thread for info on Hog Hunt scheduled for January 25th.  He's running it as the Organizer, and requested PM's to him.

The Garand may also be loaned to a friend of mine who's going on the hunt?.  Don't quite know if he's going yet, so he can carry the Battle Rifle, lol.  It might come down to range to decide which tool to use.  I'm leaning a little toward black powder though, just because I like the additional challenge of stalking to get in closer.  Not sure yet....

Dave

Please see Mosin Rob's Thread for info on Hog Hunt scheduled for January 25th.  He's running it as the Organizer, and requested PM's to him.

The Garand may also be loaned to a friend of mine who's going on the hunt?.  Don't quite know if he's going yet, so he can carry the Battle Rifle, lol.  It might come down to range to decide which tool to use.  I'm leaning a little toward black powder though, just because I like the additional challenge of stalking to get in closer.  Not sure yet....

Dave

I must be retarded today.....I actually have a post in that thread on more info....lol

I think I'm gonna do 4 amigos ranch for this

I must be retarded today.....I actually have a post in that thread on more info....lol

I think I'm gonna do 4 amigos ranch for this

Hope you have a GREAT time!  Looks like a lot of FUN, but it's way out of my price range, lol!

Especially if it's raining!  I've already located an old supply of latex condoms to place over the muzzle for slinging the battle rifle.  I'll bring extras to share with the Hunting Party.  Will work fine for Lunker's Guide Gun too, lol!

10 gauge would be pretty fun!  BTW you try to give me a condom and some one see's it, we might get shot lol

I'm heading on the hunt also, was actually thinking about using an Argentinian Mauser model 1909 with 7.65x53, or my AR. Not sure about a sidearm.

Gonna be fun chasing hogs through the woods with the possibility of 15 different guns on my back, lol!!

I'm heading on the hunt also, was actually thinking about using an Argentinian Mauser model 1909 with 7.65x53, or my AR. Not sure about a sidearm.

Gonna be fun chasing hogs through the woods with the possibility of 15 different guns on my back, lol!!

Great to hear!  FWIW if a head shot presents itself, the 7.65 Mauser is the better tool for the job!

Are you riding with Rob?

Dave

Great to hear!  FWIW if a head shot presents itself, the 7.65 Mauser is the better tool for the job!

Are you riding with Rob?

Dave

The only thing I'm concerned of is using the metal sights and how accurate they are close in. I've had pretty consistent groupings at the range. My AR has iron sights as well, so I'd be in the same boat. I was thinking of my 12 gauge 870 with scope or a 30-06 with scope. At this rate I may be traveling down there with everything lol!

Not sure yet, I may be leaving from work Friday and heading straight out there it's about 45 min closer. We were trying to figure out the logistics. It's a 3.5 hour drive from my house, is I am definitely gonna stay over Friday night so I'm not a zombie in the morning.

The only thing I'm concerned of is using the metal sights and how accurate they are close in. I've had pretty consistent groupings at the range. My AR has iron sights as well, so I'd be in the same boat. I was thinking of my 12 gauge 870 with scope or a 30-06 with scope. At this rate I may be traveling down there with everything lol!

Not sure yet, I may be leaving from work Friday and heading straight out there it's about 45 min closer. We were trying to figure out the logistics. It's a 3.5 hour drive from my house, is I am definitely gonna stay over Friday night so I'm not a zombie in the morning.

Just sent you a PM so we can go over logistics, as I'm staying-over local to the area for the same reasons!

Dave