wink-_-wink

Favorite Hunting Rifle and why

I am looking to use the next 4 years to get very proficient in this sport because my 6 yr old son is VERY eagerly begging me to go.  I have only been 1 time in my life when I was 10 with my dad and I want to give him a better experience.  I know about a rifle for him but I am wondering about you guys.  What are your favorite rifles, What are you hunting.  Share your earliest memory or experience.

Ruger #1 is mine. But that's a little one sided because I don't do allot of hunting out of state so I don't hunt with rifles much. When I do go down to flordia I use a friends Ruger#1 in 25.06 and its a sweet gun I really like it. The 25.06 to the head drops pigs in their tracks with corn from the feeder still in their mouth! With that said I will hopefully soon be buying a rem 700 in 7mm.08 because I want a bolt gun more than a single shot.

I am looking at deer hunting to start with.  My brother hunts and said he wants to take me skeet shooting so I can get my aim up for bird shot.  Pheasant duck and qual I believe is what he hunts.  My ULTIMATE goal... one day in a dream would be to bear hunt.  I want one.  but mostly deer. 

I have not pursued deer outside of NJ, but in-state, I love my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.

Jon -- you have that in 12 or 20?

I really wanted the 20 that Topher was selling here a few months ago but I couldn't pull the funds together and it went quick

To the OP -- no need for a rifle here in NJ --  Most any quality shotgun will do 

To answer the original question --

My favorite Hunting rifle is my Blaser R93 with a 300 win mag barrel topped with a leupold 50mm scope --

the straight pull bolt makes for quick follow up shots and 300 win mag will take anything on the continent 

would that work for my dream hunt too?

Still have to use a shotgun for bear too in NJ --

In close enough a 12 gauge slug is very proficient at what it does --  doesn't matter what it comes out of as long as it fits you and you can put the slug where it needs to be

I have not pursued deer outside of NJ, but in-state, I love my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.

This.

My 12ga Ultra is stupidly accurate to 100yds (at least) and that sabot slug* will take down anything in the lower 48.

*300gr Hornady FTX bullet going 2000 fps.

This.

My 12ga Ultra is stupidly accurate to 100yds (at least) and that sabot slug* will take down anything in the lower 48.

*300gr Hornady FTX bullet going 2000 fps.

So then it would be safe to say that this would be a smart buy?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/41765

There is not a real big difference in the ballistics between 12 and 20 gauge slugs --  there is a huge difference in recoil to the shooter

Point is -- a 20 gauge will be much more pleasing to shoot and plenty capable of taking your intended game --

less recoil means you'll shoot it more and become much more familiar with your shotguns ability to put slugs on target

There is not a real big difference in the ballistics between 12 and 20 gauge slugs --  there is a huge difference in recoil to the shooter

Point is -- a 20 gauge will be much more pleasing to shoot and plenty capable of taking your intended game --

less recoil means you'll shoot it more and become much more familiar with your shotguns ability to put slugs on target

Roger that.  searching now for a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 with a scope

Roger that.  searching now for a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20 with a scope

Forget the scope that comes with it, that thing is garbage. I have had great success with the Bushnell Banner line for a cheap and effective "NJ-ranges" scope.

I have had great success with the Bushnell Banner line for a cheap and effective "NJ-ranges" scope.

That's what I have on mine.

Wink, if you're not too far from the Clinton area, I can meet you at the WMA range on a weekend morning so you can beat your shoulder up with the 12.

Shotgun= Remington 1100 because I shot my first buck with it and lots of deer since. Had it since I was 10. Rifle:Browning A-bolt in 7mm Rem mag. Very accurate, I got a great scope on it and can kill just about any animal in North America. Muzzleloader Rifle: toss up between my .54 Renegade, .58 Navy arms hawken, and my knight .52 Long Range hunter. They all have different uses and enjoy shooting them. 

A lot of the answer to the 'what gun' question is in what sort of hunting you intend to do, and also put some study-time into the hunting rules and regs.  You need to know that, for example, if you're using slugs, your shotgun needs to have 'rifle sights'.  The state publishes a magazine every year that lists all the rule n regs.  you can get it on-line or at walmart-they give 'em away.

In that magazine, you'll find out that in NJ, if its deer; its a shotgun or a muzzleloader.  Modern rifles are not allowed.  What it won't tell you is, for example, If you intend to tree-sit, a scoped 20-gauge with slugs is great!  It has the reach you need.  But if your hunting goals include deer drives with a club, its a poor choice-a 12-gauge repeater that can sling buckshot is what you need.

For muzzleloaders, you will need a rifle permit, and to participate in the 'permit' muzzleloader season, you'd need a m/l permit.  another reason for you to read the state magazine; all this stuff is explained.  When you're choosing a muzzleloader, I like thompson/centers.  But don't make the mistake I did - get a .50, NOT a .54...the bullet choice for .54's is dwindling...my T/C New Englander loves to shoot .54 maxi-balls, but you can't get them anymore...T/C only makes 'em in .50 now.

What are you planning to do?  We can help, but there are so many choices and they're all based on what your plans include...

Center fire rifle is legal in NJ for whistle pig and yote's.

I make my own .54 projectiles so I'll never run out

Yes, centerfIre is legal for them...but I got the impression wink-wink is talking deer and bear, and centerfire is NOT legal for either of those species in NJ. 

I may be reduced to casting my own .54 maxi-balls...it really t'ed me off when I found out a few months ago that T/C discontinued 'em in .54 (after I fired the last of my cache...).  $10 or $12 for 20 maxiballs, all pre-lubed and individually packaged in a nice storage box was cheap enough that it wasn't worth casting.

A lot of the answer to the 'what gun' question is in what sort of hunting you intend to do, and also put some study-time into the hunting rules and regs.  You need to know that, for example, if you're using slugs, your shotgun needs to have 'rifle sights'.  The state publishes a magazine every year that lists all the rule n regs.  you can get it on-line or at walmart-they give 'em away.

In that magazine, you'll find out that in NJ, if its deer; its a shotgun or a muzzleloader.  Modern rifles are not allowed.  What it won't tell you is, for example, If you intend to tree-sit, a scoped 20-gauge with slugs is great!  It has the reach you need.  But if your hunting goals include deer drives with a club, its a poor choice-a 12-gauge repeater that can sling buckshot is what you need.

For muzzleloaders, you will need a rifle permit, and to participate in the 'permit' muzzleloader season, you'd need a m/l permit.  another reason for you to read the state magazine; all this stuff is explained.  When you're choosing a muzzleloader, I like thompson/centers.  But don't make the mistake I did - get a .50, NOT a .54...the bullet choice for .54's is dwindling...my T/C New Englander loves to shoot .54 maxi-balls, but you can't get them anymore...T/C only makes 'em in .50 now.

What are you planning to do?  We can help, but there are so many choices and they're all based on what your plans include...

Plenty of places other than TC make Maxi's commercially.  Rush Creek's Maxi's are in stock at Dixon's in pkgs. of (20) (and a ton of other places) as I type this.  Gregg can accept mail-orders over the phone for them as well as sell you the mold to make them yourself (like Rob does), and pure lead is always available at Dixon's (laying on the floor and sold by the pound).

As to favorite arms to hunt with:  It depends upon local and State regulations and whether or not ANY regs are mandatory.  For the upcoming Hog Hunt there aren't ANY regs, so you bring what you want, what you're a good shot with (and hopefully the two shall MEET, lol).  Pennsy has a rule that says nothing under .50 cal. for hand guns for deer, but I can bring a .44 black powder Cap-N-Ball revolver to harvest a Hog, so that's what I did last April on the island :maninlove: .  This trip I'm considering bringing my 10 ga. SxS black powder percussion muzzleloader with .715 round balls that weigh approx. 1.25 oz.  The mighty SxS has a set of BEADS, NOT a rifle sight, but I can use that as well, just like they did back in the 1830's!  I LOVE the SxS muzzleloader for pheasants with #6 Shot (yes I use a license).  So yeah, I'd have to say that the 10 ga. is my favorite long arm.  :hunter:  

If you EVER need anything muzzleloading-wise, Rob and I can make it happen, so just ask.

Dave

:sigh:   I know....there are a few other options for .54 cal, including patched round ball and a couple of other conicals. 

My point was the choice is nowhere near what's commercially available for .50 cal, and when you consider that, and the need for more lead, more powder, etc; it isn't worth the tiny performance difference between .50 and .54.  If I was going out today, I would buy a .50, not a .54.

And, my lefty New Englander shot the T/C maxi's SO nice...I could cover the group with my fist at 50 yards.

:sigh:   I know....there are a few other options for .54 cal, including patched round ball and a couple of other conicals. 

My point was the choice is nowhere near what's commercially available for .50 cal, and when you consider that, and the need for more lead, more powder, etc; it isn't worth the tiny performance difference between .50 and .54.  If I was going out today, I would buy a .50, not a .54.

And, my lefty New Englander shot the T/C maxi's SO nice...I could cover the group with my fist at 50 yards.

I understand, and I sympathize with you.  There's a shop close to me (I buy my T/C .50 cal. 370 grain Maxi's there) that used to carry them--he may have a box or two of T/C .54's still on the shelf with a little dust on it.  Interested?

I understand, and I sympathize with you.  There's a shop close to me (I buy my T/C .50 cal. 370 grain Maxi's there) that used to carry them--he may have a box or two of T/C .54's still on the shelf with a little dust on it.  Interested?

If he has any; YES!