Sign in to follow this  
Purple Patrick

*review* ontario blackbird sk5

Alright everyone I thought id put this review out there because so far I LOVE THIS KNIFE. I was looking for a really tough blade that could take some abuse and of course kill zombies and prevent Alien anal probes. I first saw this knife in the last issue of RECOIL in their survival knife article and really loved the simplicity of the design and the features of the blade. I work outside at our garden center so I wanted something razor sharp but sturdy enough to be used for a variety of tasks. I haven't had a chance to really break this knife in besides opening a few boxes and pruning some flowers but this will be my go to woods knife. I'll give you guys alittle break down.

Blade: it's a 5" blade made of 154cm, now what that means idk as I am no blade expert(yet) but reading about it it's a super hard steel that can be sharpened to a razor edge with alittle but of effort. I haven't yet needed to touch the edge up but I'm buying a sharp maker soon to assist me. The blade and handle are perfectly balanced in my hand and is not overly hefty. I really really like how this feels in my hand.

Handle: it's a linen micarta handle that fills my large hands nicely but is nice an grippy if your hands aren't as large as mine. It has a nice smooth texture but your hand can get a good purchase on it. It had a nice sized lanyard hole and supposedly is very easy to fashion into a spear.

Sheath: this is one of the main reasons I got this knife. The sheath had a belt loop and also is molle compatible. The 3 way snap button is adjustable for how much retention you want. I got the molle strap off and have been using a black hawk speed clip to attach it to my belt at the 4:30 position for concealibility and ease of draw.

Overall I'm really happy with this knife. I'm looking to pick up something with a slightly smaller blade, if they made this with a 3.5" blade id carry it everywhere but due to the size I'm not comfortable carrying this anywhere besides work or the woods. Let me know if you have any questions

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here's my ontario m9 and my other edc a crkt m16

Posted Image

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity