ECsandstar

Ear protection

Looking to buy some new muffs for the woman and I, and ive really hit a wall here. I have been looking at different manufacturers, ratings, fit, design, etc...I'm looking for something that is somewhat low-profile for shouldered long rifles and shotguns that doesnt sacrifice the protection that ill need for indoor shooting. Ive contemplated electronic muffs but have my reservations regarding how well they work. I feel like they would be worth it when i take my woman to the range and i want her to be fully aware of commands from RO's, as well as any instruction that i may give her but mehhh.....

I have been looking at Howard Leight L0F's, L2F's, Caldwell E-Max's etc..(almost anything online from cabelas, dicks, etc...)and im not opposed to paying more for a good set of muffs. Also, don't know if anyone has any experience with the "field and stream" stuff from Dick's or any of the Browning or Bone Collector muffs offered from cabelas.

If anyone has some insight or input into this it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. sorry for being long-winded.

Make sure you check the NRR rating. This is important when shooting handguns in an indoor range.  Percussion blast can be very intense in a closed in area.  Use both muffs and plugs at times and still can be intense.  Remember the guy shooting the hand cannon in the next booth could ruin a perfect range day.

Custom made shooter plugs are an option too. You need to go to an audiologist and they can make them for you. My dad has a pair, and I've been meaning to get them but I haven't had time.

For some reason I started having real problems getting foam plugs to work right in the past few years after suing all different kinds for decades. I got the 3M Tekk at Lowes and they work great. And although I haven't had problems with these, I do a lot of shooting in the cold and it seems like plugs don;t work as well if they are cold before you insert them. And wrapping your hand around them for a couple minutes does not warm them up enough.

I know you want muffs but I thought i would throw out my recent observations on plugs.

I use these and love them...

http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-SG-31-Hearing-Protection-Device/dp/B001IMHSP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388944191&sr=8-1&keywords=zem+hearing+protection

Make sure you get the 31 NRR rated ones - they make a cheaper 26 NRR pair also. These are somewhat an acquired taste as gunshots still seem very loud while using them. What you don't get is any percussive effect. But you can still easily hear normal conversations. Low-profile - work great with long guns and very comfortable for all day wear. If you go to the Zem/Sensgard website they explain the scientific basis for their efficacy. Great alternative to muffs or plugs.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Search is your friend:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/49876-electronic-muffs-worthwhile/?fromsearch=1

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/49046-msa-sordin-supreme-pro-x/?fromsearch=1

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/60097-eyes-and-ears/?fromsearch=1

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/58892-what-setting-do-you-have-your-electronic-ear-muffs-at/?fromsearch=1

Also, the higher end sets (Peltor, MSA, Sordin, TCI) designed for a "tactical" environment are generally slim enough that they don't get in the way of the stock when it is in your shoulder unless you are really turtling. The Peltor Com-Tacs even have a cut out for rifle/shotgun stocks

For some reason I started having real problems getting foam plugs to work right in the past few years after suing all different kinds for decades. I got the 3M Tekk at Lowes and they work great. And although I haven't had problems with these, I do a lot of shooting in the cold and it seems like plugs don;t work as well if they are cold before you insert them. And wrapping your hand around them for a couple minutes does not warm them up enough. I know you want muffs but I thought i would throw out my recent observations on plugs.

I've had a similar experiences with foam plugs in the cold and some not keeping their shape. But the following worked great for me so far in the cold. I've used them in the 30s, and they were really good at keeping their shape (haven't tried them at temps lower than that yet).

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php

I really want to to research more the difference between the decibel effect vs the percussion effect.

I wear sure fire 100% blockag plugs PLUS electronic muffs on top and if an AR is going of next to me it's still very loud. I'm thinking to myself "how the heck am I still hearing that?". Does the percussion enter my body through my nose?

I really want to to research more the difference between the decibel effect vs the percussion effect.

I wear sure fire 100% blockag plugs PLUS electronic muffs on top and if an AR is going of next to me it's still very loud. I'm thinking to myself "how the heck am I still hearing that?". Does the percussion enter my body through my nose

It's the same reason you can hear yourself talk with all that ear protection... your just blocking the direct sound waves which enter the ear canal. sound waves still pass through your skull and every other opening in your head.. Not sure what you mean by decibel/percussion effect... its just sound waves and the amplitude of the wave.. All you should be concerned with is the fact you ear canals are plugged up.. With a combined 20 NRR for muffs(avg) + plugs at about 30NRR, at 50 NRR you shouldnt have any issues... something may not be seated correctly.

Guys at the range don't notice this much.. but out in the field hunting.. you can get your head rung pretty good with a shotgun blast from a buddy sitting next to you but your ears are fine...

I just purchased the Pro Ears Predator Gold series muffs for hunting.... amazon had them on sale for $200 bucks... in the field while hunting you either drop cash on really good electronic muffs which help in many different ways, buy the cheaper ones and deal with the white noise, or wear nothing... I almost had my ear shot out the other week so i opted to get the best ones i could find. Passive anything doesnt cut it when you need to hear people/animals. At the range indoor and out i use plain old NRR 32 foam plugs and never had an issue.

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll jump into this one. Looking for electronic ear protection, as I've been taking a lot of new shooters lately, so being able to talk is now important. I looked at the following models (prices approximate), and these all seem well reviewed:

• Howard Leight Impact Sport – $50
  • Peltor Tac 6 - $60
  • Howard Leight Impact PRO – $80
  • Peltor Sport Tec – $120
  • Pro Ears Pro 300 - $200
  • MSA Sordin Supreme – $200
  • Pro Ears Gold - $300
  • MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X – $300

Leaning toward the Pro Ears Gold because they’re made in the USA, which is important to me. Also read a strong endorsement for the MSA Sordin Pro X on this forum. Between the $200 and $300 models, is the difference worth it? Not afraid to spend money, as paychecks are replaceable, eardrums are not.

Thanks for the advice in this thread.

+1 for the Peltor Tac 6

I've had cheaper electronic muffs... But none of em were ever as reliable as the Peltor. Plus they fold up real nice in the range bag and have a pretty low profile

Stay away from the Caldwell electronic pro... Had a pair that didn't even last a year, and they were slightly slower at stopping the loud noises (which plays a big role in usability)... Now I use em as backup non-electronic

Rather than start a new thread, I’ll jump into this one. Looking for electronic ear protection, as I've been taking a lot of new shooters lately, so being able to talk is now important. I looked at the following models (prices approximate), and these all seem well reviewed:

• Howard Leight Impact Sport – $50
  • Peltor Tac 6 - $60
  • Howard Leight Impact PRO – $80
  • Peltor Sport Tec – $120
  • Pro Ears Pro 300 - $200
  • MSA Sordin Supreme – $200
  • Pro Ears Gold - $300
  • MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X – $300

Leaning toward the Pro Ears Gold because they’re made in the USA, which is important to me. Also read a strong endorsement for the MSA Sordin Pro X on this forum. Between the $200 and $300 models, is the difference worth it? Not afraid to spend money, as paychecks are replaceable, eardrums are not.

Thanks for the advice in this thread.

Search around i found my Gold's on sale for 228 shipped.

I shoot almost exclusively outdoors. I wear the cheap ear plugs and over them a set of headphones with a db rating of 32. 

I've got two pair of nameless passives I wear with foam plugs. I'm shooting almost exclusively indoors. By myself, not a problem, but with new shooters, might pick up the Pro-Mag Golds or Sordin Pro X (whichever goes on sale first), and then a pair of the Peltor Tac 6's as a loaner.

Search around i found my Gold's on sale for 228 shipped.

Good to know - gonna hold out for a deal.

I use these and love them...

http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-SG-31-Hearing-Protection-Device/dp/B001IMHSP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388944191&sr=8-1&keywords=zem+hearing+protection

Make sure you get the 31 NRR rated ones - they make a cheaper 26 NRR pair also. These are somewhat an acquired taste as gunshots still seem very loud while using them. What you don't get is any percussive effect. But you can still easily hear normal conversations. Low-profile - work great with long guns and very comfortable for all day wear. If you go to the Zem/Sensgard website they explain the scientific basis for their efficacy. Great alternative to muffs or plugs.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Me too on this item! These work really well but like Bob says, get the 31 db models. I bought 5 sets and put one each with our "house armaments" so if you have a situation and have some time you can protect your hearing. AND there are no batteries to worry about.

The only time I don't use these now is with my AR or sometimes if I'm working at open pistol night (indoors) at our range...sometimes the magnums and 50 cals get a bit loud, so I still double up with plugs and muffs.

I generally use 3M tri-flange plugs and/or cheap Howard Leight muffs, depending on the application.

The plugs are polymer, reusable and linked together with a cord. I think they're around $5 for a 3-pack and are 26 NRR.

The muffs cost me like $12 and rated 25 NRR.

I also keep a bunch of foam plugs* in my range bag and car.

Outdoors: Plugs

Hunting: Plug in my right ear in case I need to make a quck shot. The left plug ready to go in if I get the chance.

Indoors: Usually double up, plugs and muffs. Especially if I'm shooting magnums.

Home: Polymer plugs hang on the stock of each shotgun.

*That said, I took some new people shooting at GFH last week and didn't realize I was short a set of muffs.

I just wore foam plugs and was fine, even with a packed range. (we were shooting 9, 45 and .38, but someone a couple of lanes over was shooting a tacticool, scoped, bipoded AR. At the 25yd range. While there’s a 50yd range in the same building...)

TL/DR:

Foam or polymer plugs are usually good enough, unless you're hearing is really sensitive. Doubling up is probably better indoors.

Anybody ever got the molded ones the guy at the larger sportsman shows do. They come in all sorts of colors. ? Just curious if they are worth it.

Couple guys on the SWAT team swear by them. I have never used them and prefer my MSA Supreme X or Peltor Com-Tac powered ear pro to in-ear plugs.

Anybody ever got the molded ones the guy at the larger sportsman shows do. They come in all sorts of colors. ? Just curious if they are worth it.

I have an appt next week to have molds made at an audiologist