plumbshotsam

Hello from Scotch Plains, nice to find like minded new friends!

Hello to all and glad to be here. I moved here from NY 30 years ago and although I was always involved in outdoor sports and shooting, I really did not get back into it until I retired two years ago. Since then I have acquired a few handguns, shoot regularly at Heritage guild Easton where I am a member and now cast my own boolits and reload my own 9mm, 38 specials and 357 mags. I have been up to RTSP in Randolph a few times and I am looking for an indoor range a little closer to home in Scotch Plains. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, and have a great New Year.

Welcome to the boards.  I do not know what ranges are near Scotch Plains, but if you do a search, I'm pretty sure I've seen a listing somewhere of all the places to shoot in NJ.

http://njgunmap.com/Site/NJ_Gun_Map.html

I do not believe there are closer ranges that currently accept new memberships.  On the other hand, I avoid shooting inside like the plaque so I might be missing something.  Cherry Ridge is almost exactly 45 minutes from Fanwood, and Monmouth County is almost exactly 45 minutes away in the opposite direction (but not currently accepting new members).

Welcome from a few towns over. What do you shoot? I too am a member at both Heritage and EFGA. EFGA is excellent for the price. I think the next closest outdoor range is Central Jersey Rifle Club. It is prob 15 or 20 minutes closer than Heritage & EFGA but too expensive for me right now. A very nice feature they do have is 24 access to an indoor range in addition to their outdoor ranges. You may want to check them out.

I may be heading out to EFGA on Sunday depending on the weather. If you are interested in checking it out PM me.

Glen, you were right; I checked out that Central Jersey Rifle Club and WOW!!!  The annual dues are a little heavy but they do have what appears to be an extensive facility. They really bang the new members with that capitalization fee!! DOUBLE WOW!! Does anyone know if you ever get that money back, or is that a "donation" to the range?

I guess I will stick to Heritage Easton for now, and, yes I would like to check out EFGA when the weather improves a bit. I will PM you at some point in the futuer and appreciate the other invite from "back on target" . I was up at RTSP in Randolph yesterday. They have a very nice facility up there and I rented a subcompact 9mm Shield S&W. I own a High Standard HD Military 22 semi auto that my dad bought some 50 years ago down in Virginia. It really shoots great and obviously has a lot of sentimental value to me. Two years ago when I retired I started buying handguns and shooting regularly again. First purchase was a Colt 38 special Army revolver that I wound up returning as it was damaged. (goodbye, handgun purchase permit!) I then bought a used 38 special Rossi model 851 revolver ( stainless with 4" bbl) that shoots really nicely. Next up was a S&W  357 mag model 586 revolver (blued with a 6" bbl) that is really great. Last purchase was a Beretta 92M 9mm semi auto that I am loving more every day. I really got used to the revolvers so the Beretta had a learning curve for me. Am currently awaiting two additional purchase permits (someday my prince and my permits will come!) and am thinking about the Kahr CW9 (subcompact 9mm 3.5" bbl); very similar to the S&W Shield.(but about $200.00 less in cost) I have started casting some bullets and reload my own 9mm and 38/357 so I am able to shoot a few hundred rounds each time I go out to the range without breaking the bank.

How about you?  What do you punch paper holes with?

Hey there bcarlos,  ...thanks for the welcome. One of these days we have to find out who else is local and get together for a ..."couple of cold carbonated refreshments"  and shoot the breeze  ....(   ....  little gun forum joke, there,...) 

Hey there bcarlos, ...thanks for the welcome. One of these days we have to find out who else is local and get together for a ..."couple of cold carbonated refreshments" and shoot the breeze ....( .... little gun forum joke, there,...)

For sure stage house and oh Brian's are where I frequent.

Welcome. While I dont get too many opportunities to shoot these days with a couple young kids and heavy work schedule, I'm just a few towns over from you. You might also look into the Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club (obrpc). Their facilities aren't as elaborate or extensive as central jersey, the fees are lower and its a bit closer.

If you organize any thing local, there are quite a few others in the union county area that might get together.

I currently have a Ruger GP100 in 357. I had originally purchased the 327 Magnum version on the GP100 and very much enjoyed it. It shot 32 (Long, Short and Magnum) and 327 Magnum. Very smooth shooting gun for a newbie. Could really only get ammo either online or at Heritage. Sold it on Gunbroker and used the proceeds to purchase the 357.

2nd purchase was my CZ75-B (9mm). A shooting buddy, who I met through this forum, introduced me to the CZ family through his CZ SP-01.....which is an updated version of the CZ 75-B. If you have never shot one you'll have to let me introduce you to them. I had never heard of CZ until I met SOF (friend's screen name).

The Berretas are a nice, iconic looking gun.  I believe the Berettas are based on the CZ platform in that the "slide rides inside the frame".  I've heard the Berettas are real tack drives. 

I think a local non-shooting meetup sounds like a great idea. Seems there are quite a few of us around the area.

Since I posted my earlier response, I've been to Gun For Hire / Woodland Park Range for 3 full days of training, joined the range, and shot there a few times.  It's fantastic.

From my home in Fanwood, near the police station, it's taken me an average of 29 minutes to get there, which is 15 minutes faster than Cherry Ridge or Monmouth.

You should try it out.