n4p226r

Post PICs of your SPR style rifles

Since i just looked and see that it would cost me $4700 or more to build an SPR out of a stripped lower lower parts kit installed, its safe to say that it wont happen anytime soon.  post pictures and specs of your current 16"+ magnified optic ARs!!!!

Honestly, the optic is what really kills the pricing on these. If you're willing to sacrifice and get consumer-grade rather than "operator-grade", you can certainly do it for under $2500. I built mine a couple of years ago, but i haven't shot it all that much because the Black Hills Mk262 was so expensive that i wanted to get my reloading setup in order. Then Sandy Hook happened and ruined everything for a while. Now i'm looking for a new optic before i shoot it again.

L1050213.jpg

Daniel Defense A4 Upper
Daniel Defense BCG
Daniel Defense M4 Rail 12.0 (13.7 ozs)
Rock Creek 18" 1/7 Barrel, Rifle Length Gas System, .223 Wylde Chamber
YHM Low Profile Gas Block
Battlecomp 1.0 (pinned/welded)
BCM Gunfighter Mod 4
Millett TRS-1 4-16X Scope, illuminated, 1/8 MOA clicks, Butler Creek caps, Tenebraex ARDS Sold this; great optic for the money but made the rifle WAY too heavy for my needs. Looking into a 1-4 or 1-6 as a replacement.
Larue LT104 QD SPR Mount, 30mm
Magpul AFG1, FDE I've since switched to a Magpul handstop kit in FDE because it's lower profile.
Magpul ladder covers, FDE
Harris 1A Ultralight 9-13 Bipod, QD
Zombie Defense Lower
Palmetto State Armory LPK
KAC 2-Stage Match Trigger
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul MOE grip, FDE
LMT SOPMOD Stock, FDE (pinned latch, internal lock pin epoxied to buffer tube)
Carbine Buffer

474AE783-1C68-4D00-89C1-887EBFEC0EC2-383

SLR15 lower

Colt LPK

Geissle SDE trigger

Magpul BAD

Magpul MIAD

Magpul PRS

BCM 16" Mid-length upper with FSC556

BCM BCG

BCM GFCH-3

DD Omega 9 rail

TD Bipod

Troy BUIS

Trij ACOG 4X TA01NSN in LaRue mount

Built it last spring out of parts in the bin. Shoots pretty well for a standard non-accurized upper/barrel.

42838317-923D-48A1-8513-183A5EE505AB_zps

Since i just looked and see that it would cost me $4700 or more to build an SPR out of a stripped lower lower parts kit installed, its safe to say that it wont happen anytime soon. post pictures and specs of your current 16"+ magnified optic ARs!!!!

Wilson has one for about 2400....

Other than that.... To me, SPR tag is a little vague.

I have the LWRC M6 but it's not their SPR model....

post-5135-138974315413_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Should have mentioned that the LWRC SPR version of mine has the spiral barrel to lighten the weight a bit which also supposedly helps the barrel cool off faster. Rather than try reinvent the wheel and remember everything, here is their descript..

"The new LWRC International Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) is the epitome of a well-balanced and fast pointing tactical carbine. The rifle uses a lightweight sculpted rail derived from our REPR platform. The SPR-MOD rail, at 12” in length, is 33% longer than our Mark II-B rail, but incredibly is still 5% lighter. The cold hammer forged barrel is spiral fluted prior to being treated with our NiCorr surface conversion process. The spiral fluting shaves 20% of the weight off the barrel and relieves the longitudinal stresses that can cause the stringing seen in conventionally fluted barrels. The weight reduction in the front end and the svelte wrist of the user configurable rail, make for an incredibly well balanced rifle.

The SPR features our enhanced fire control group. The fire control group and the bolt carrier are coated in our proprietary nickel coating that promotes permanent lubricity and allows the operator to run the gun nearly dry when the situation requires it. The piston system is our mid-length system, which provides a more direct recoil impulse for faster follow-up shots."

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Yeah... my SPR-ish build WOULD have been "reasonable"... until I went optic shopping. :D

Thats ok.... You don't go too cheap on optics. Especially if gun is accurate and no cheap. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

So what is it that makes on SPR and another not? Any defining features to special purpose?

you guys are picky with your terminology.  :D

lets rename the thread to SPR/mk12 clone/ Designated marksman style rifle/ etc

pretty much narrow it down to an AR 16"-20", magnified optic, and a bipod that you would consider using for longer range engagements than something normally used with a red-dot.  aimed more at precision than fast target acquisition but not a dedicated sniper/benchrest style gun

The key word is purpose.

It is all about what role the rifle was intended to fill. Generally it is an accurized "lighter" caliber (5.56/.223) rifle with a magnified optic designed to engage targets at medium range with precision.

this is what i meant.

Honestly, the optic is what really kills the pricing on these. If you're willing to sacrifice and get consumer-grade rather than "operator-grade", you can certainly do it for under $2500. 

definitely.  i kinda listed everything on paper without totally thinking it out.  In my $4500 i had $1700 for optics, $230 for a mount, and another $600 for an offset red dot (id probably never do this)  so really i'd be closer to $2500 out the door on the rifle.  

Does this qualify? Admittedly, I cheaped-out on the optics, but for all the use it gets, it works fine.

ej6fk.jpg

Lower Receiver

• Rock River Arms LAR15
  • Magpul PRS Gen. II stock
  • Accu-shot mid-range monopod
  • RRA 2-stage match trigger
  • Standard trigger guard
  • Hogue pistol grip

Upper Receiver

• Rock River Arms Varmint
  • Gas DI operating system
  • Bravo Company Gunfighter charge handle - Large
  • 16” Wilson stainless bull barrel (.920” @ muzzle), 1:8 twist
  • Free-float short aluminum checkered forearm w/sling swivel stud
  • Harris bi-pod w/swivel 9” – 13”
  • Konus M30 4.5-16x40SF. Illum (red/blue) mildot reticle
  • Burris 30mm medium Zee rings
  • LaRue throw-lever 5/8” riser
  • Troy Industries folding rear BUIS
  • Midwest Industries gas-block mounted folding front BUIS

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2hn9.jpg

Noveske VIS 16" Mid length rifle

Battlecomp 1.0 brake

VLTOR E-Mod stock

Geissele SSA trigger

BAD ASS short throw ambi selector

KNS pins

MOE Plus grip

AFG2 (soon to be removed)

Noveske marked Troy BUIS

TA11 ACOG in a Larue LT100 mount

I recently put the TA11 on her and today was my first chance to get to the range since swapping optics.  I really like it, was shooting just under MOA at 200yds which for me is damn good.  The SSA trigger is helping tremendously with my accuracy.  

Why would a bull barrel DQ PB?

Oh, and Bob, I have resorted to that same argument quite a few times before I was married :rofl:

I don't know. That's why I asked for judges. To me, it would seem a bull Barrel would be suited more to the bench rest side as opposed to the lightweight mid range rifle I picture a SPR/DMR to be

2hn9.jpg

Noveske VIS 16" Mid length rifle

Battlecomp 1.0 brake

VLTOR E-Mod stock

Geissele SSA trigger

BAD ASS short throw ambi selector

KNS pins

MOE Plus grip

AFG2 (soon to be removed)

Noveske marked Troy BUIS

TA11 ACOG in a Larue LT100 mount

I recently put the TA11 on her and today was my first chance to get to the range since swapping optics. I really like it, was shooting just under MOA at 200yds which for me is damn good. The SSA trigger is helping tremendously with my accuracy.

Any reason you went with the kns and geissele ssa? I remember reading his opinion like 4 different times not to use them with his triggers when I installed my SSA

That's a real nice rifle though. I'm hoping to get a stainless 18" noveske with NSR on mine.

Any reason you went with the kns and geissele ssa? I remember reading his opinion like 4 different times not to use them with his triggers when I installed my SSA

That's a real nice rifle though. I'm hoping to get a stainless 18" noveske with NSR on mine.

I went with the ssa trigger bc I had one in another ar and the pull worked the best for me out of all the triggers I have tried.  I decided to put them in all my ar's.  As far as the kns pins the rifle had them installed already so I reused them when I put the trigger in.  I had not really looked into any ill effects.  Was there a reason stated not to use them?  

I went with the ssa trigger bc I had one in another ar and the pull worked the best for me out of all the triggers I have tried. I decided to put them in all my ar's. As far as the kns pins the rifle had them installed already so I reused them when I put the trigger in. I had not really looked into any ill effects. Was there a reason stated not to use them?

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?47476-KNS-Pins-amp-SSA-Trigger&p=579002#post579002

The key word is purpose.

It is all about what role the rifle was intended to fill. Generally it is an accurized "lighter" caliber (5.56/.223) rifle with a magnified optic designed to engage targets at medium range with precision.

not to drive the thread off topic.. but I just never understood this.. 

what is "medium" range? and don't "most" mid to upper end ARs perform pretty well in that "medium" range (assuming decent operator and glass)?

It is a classification of AR designated by the military (I actually think the Navy pushed the concept for their NSW folks) to fulfill a requirement that they specified. Basically designed to perform at ranges between a designated sniper rifle and a carbine. Ammo, glass, barrel, glass, stock all designed to fill that role.

As far as other carbines remember that the mil-spec TDP is 4-5MOA accuracy. The SPR is spec'ed for significantly greater accuracy standards.

The concept was then taken by recreational shooters and applied according to their designs.

Just to break it down a bit further, SPR's were a secondary role for a rifelman should the need arise for somewhat better accuracy requirements in combat. But not a sniper role. Then it seems you have the DMR rifle which is a step up the ladder filling the gap above the SPR rifle and below the dedicated sniper. IMO the DMR steps out of the 5.56 caliber but not exclusively.