Hey guys.  I recently got a great deal on a SIG 516 upper, with the caveat that it comes with an A2 flash-hider.  My current LMT AR just has a plain barrel, so I have no experience with brakes of any kind.  Will adding a brake make it louder than a plain crown barrel?  Can anyone give me a comparison between the following?  I'm hoping to see the Pro's and Con's for each

* YHM Phantom brake/comp

* PWS FSC556

* Troy Medieval

* DPMS Miculek brake

Thanks!

I have the YHM Phantom on my AR, it's definitely louder than a standard crowned barrel.  Things I dislike about it: It's a grey color, doesn't really match the "black rifle" image.  2. it annoys people shooting next to you because they get hit with the air blast.  Other then that, I love it.

I have a miculek and a dynacomp. I like them both. I well say the miculek is more efficient as far as recoil mitigation and muzzle flip but its god awful loud and has huge side blast. Personally I dont care about the blast but some people do :shrug:

FSC556

Keep in mind that the ability of a break/comp to fulfill the shooters expectations is very subjective. What I think works best with my particular rifle with my shooting style, my grip, my ability to control recoil, etc... may be the result of a very different interpretation of the effectiveness of a particular break/or comp that you experience.

There are a few that are proven by most people to work - for example the BattleComp, PWS556, BCM Comp - but you will be hard pressed to get 3 shooters to agree on which is best amongst them.

For example, I like the PWS FSC556. Others prefer the BC, or the Troy Claymore or Midevil, or the Spikes, or the Knight's TripleTap. We would all agree that they all work, but we would argue about which is best.

Thanks for all the advice.  What I'm thinking is I can't really go wrong with any of them.  I really just wanted to make sure one of them doesn't really suck in comparison to others.  The PWS seems to be the most popular, but it's over 2x the costs of the other.  I'm wondering if I, a novice, would be hard pressed to appreciate the nuances it may provide.  I actually think the YHM might match the color of the SIG upper, as from the gas-block forward it is more grey than the rest of the rifle.

sig_R516-16B-P_d.jpg

The PWS seems to be the most popular

That's a clue ;)

I'm wondering if I, a novice, would be hard pressed to appreciate the nuances it may provide.

How long are you planning to be a novice?

I actually think the YHM might match the color of the SIG upper, as from the gas-block forward it is more grey than the rest of the rifle.

Choosing a muzzle device because the color matches the barrel is retarded.

That is all.

That's a clue ;)

How long are you planning to be a novice?

Choosing a muzzle device because the color matches the barrel is retarded.

That is all.

As far as the color, I was responding to the poster who stated the color of the YHM doesn't match the rifle.  I'm just stating that it is likely to actually match the SIG upper. 

As far as being a novice, what I'm thinking is that I'm probably unlikely to feel a difference between them when they are all of similar design.  This reminds me of car talk how people swear they can feel the difference between different brands of 3" tube intakes that all have the same filter on the end, and same basic design principles.  Under what types of conditions and ability level must one be to be able to fire a rifle, without looking at the brake, and be able to discern the brand/model?

As far as being a novice, what I'm thinking is that I'm probably unlikely to feel a difference between them when they are all of similar design. This reminds me of car talk how people swear they can feel the difference between different brands of 3" tube intakes that all have the same filter on the end, and same basic design principles. Under what types of conditions and ability level must one be to be able to fire a rifle, without looking at the brake, and be able to discern the brand/model?

Along that same one of thinking - you probably won't notice the difference with a brake/comp or without one as a new shooter either. Unfortunately in NJ you can't just swap muzzle devices at will, they need to be pinned - which is a pain, costs money, and usually destroys the brake being removed. Under these restrictions putting a quality device with superior performance on the rifle at the beginning makes more sense even if you don't notice any increase in performance. There certainly isn't a decrease in performance.

Your other option is to leave the barrel slick for now Go shoot a bunch and try other folks rifles and see what you like. Then make your decision.

Remember, the efficiency of a brake can me modeled, it's abilities to reduce muzzle climb or felt recoil can be measured, but ultimately the performance of a particular device is subjective to the shooter.

Along that same one of thinking - you probably won't notice the difference with a brake/comp or without one as a new shooter either. Unfortunately in NJ you can't just swap muzzle devices at will, they need to be pinned - which is a pain, costs money, and usually destroys the brake being removed. Under these restrictions putting a quality device with superior performance on the rifle at the beginning makes more sense even if you don't notice any increase in performance. There certainly isn't a decrease in performance.

Your other option is to leave the barrel slick for now Go shoot a bunch and try other folks rifles and see what you like. Then make your decision.

Remember, the efficiency of a brake can me modeled, it's abilities to reduce muzzle climb or felt recoil can be measured, but ultimately the performance of a particular device is subjective to the shooter.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  My problem is I need something welded on now, because the upper I have came with a threaded barrel with a flash hider on the end.  This bums me out because I can't even test fire it to check function prior to modifying it.  SIG is good on warranties, but would probably decline covering a modified upper. 

My line of thinking is under the assumption that brand A.) muzzle brake might make a 5% improvement over stock in flip/recoil while brand B.) might make a 5.1% improvement.  That minor difference might be felt by some, and not by others.  I have a Springfield Operator, and I shot a friend's Dan Wesson.  Is the DW a much better pistol?  Of course.  Can I shoot it any better?  No.  Can a very experienced shooter?  Yes.  Is it worth 2.5x the money?  That becomes subjective . . .

On a side note, I'm making this additional AR with input from my fiancé, so she'll enjoy shooting it at the range as well as I.  She owns a 686+, and really doesn't take much interest in my guns, (except my SIG because she helped me pick it out) no matter how well she shoots them, as they aren't "hers".  I had an assembled the lower a while ago (Spikes stripped lower & buffer tube, PSA parts, Giessele SSA-E trigger, HK grip and stock) and she was talking about how I should get a SIG upper.  Ok done.  Now, I'm gathering muzzle brake input, but in the end I'll have to give her the final say :) 

based off your list

* YHM Phantom brake/comp.. this is a piece of crap brake. it vents downwards.  I borrowed a friends rifle for a match with this brake.  part of the stage was shot out of a foxhole.  The brake kicked up so much dirt, it jammed the gun.  Only brake in the squad that had this issue

* PWS FSC556.. decent brake, haven't spent that much time behind one.

* Troy Medieval.  I wouldn't buy anything from troy, bunch of cock suckers

* DPMS Miculek brake.. good brake, cheap and tunable, it is effective and therefore loud.

other brakes to look at

SJC titan.  best all around brake there is

JP Cooley,  very good and tunable

Surefire, also very good and tunable

There are a few that are proven by most people to work - for example the BattleComp, PWS556, BCM Comp - but you will be hard pressed to get 3 shooters to agree on which is best amongst them.

You feel the bcm is proven itself to be top end?

No worries bro. It's a valid question, especially Since I admittedly have zero time on a gun with the BCM Comp. ;)

My inclusion of the BCM comp in the "proven" category is based solely on the stated opinions of people I respect. However my personal recommendation is for either the BC or PWS FSC556 as those are the two I have actual hands-on experience with that I think work the best.

Another thing to consider is what is the point of the brake for you.  As HE said there are a lot of brakes out there that perform similarly within a certain band and shooter preference. 

I'd say there are 3 types of brake/comps now on the market (and I'm excluding those who also are flash suppressors because NJ).

First you have the crappy brakes, things like the old Smith comp and so on. They are better then bare muzzle but not worth he money. I put the YHM in the group.

Then you have the "tactical" comps, like PWS, BCM, Dynacomp, etc. These all work and work well but they also try to be compact, keep the noise down a bit, etc. That means that as compensator they are not the best they can be. I do like the Dynacomp here, it works well, but also comes pre-drilled and with the cross pin you need for pinning it.

And then you have the high efficiency comps like Rolling Thunder, Benny Cooley, JP's, Seeking's precission, SJC Titan, and so on. These are damn near miraculous and how the stabilize the muzzle but they tend to be a bit longer and a HELL of a lot louder. Their loudness is not so much noticed by the shooter but by everyone else around because of they way the vector gases. I can tell you that I've seen the Titan comp shake the leaves on trees 20-25feet away.  Also despite the second class not being flash suppressors, this third class can be flash throwers as the ONLY consideration in their design is recoil management.

of the brakes you mentioned the pws but in reality, the difference between probably 95% of the brakes out there is negligible with proper technique which is far more important

just keep shooting and learn to shoot properly and invest in a good trigger

I now only shoot about 2k rounds a month but wish I had time and the money to shoot more:(

Oh and then there is very interesting comp for NJ specifically, the Nordic Components Tactical: http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nordic-components-tactical-compensator-223-black-oxide/

I would say as a comp is on par with the center group of comps, in my experience is as effective as the dynacomp or PWS, but it is the same diameter as barrel, it is very small, which means that once pinned you can still slide the gas block or front sight tower over it if you want to take the barrel assembly apart to replace a handguard or a barrel nut or whatever. That is a pretty awesome feature for NJ.  It is also VERY affordable at $40.

sportrifle_4.jpg

It is the comp on my 3gun rifle, so yeah I have some time on it.   I'd say it is middle of the road performance,  it is not as effective the high end super comps like the Titan or Rolling thunder, but it is nowhere near as abusive to the world around you and it is very very small. It is louder then say a PWS or Dynacomp but in that range of effectiveness when it comes to recoil reduction. 

Everything about comps is a trade off. 

Great info guys.  I'll rule out the YHM based on this info.  I'm looking more for a "tactical" brake, as I want something well rounded, and to somewhat control the noise.  My fiancé likes the look of the PWS, so we'll probably go that route but I'll look into the Nordic as well.  I'm assuming the fact it's going on a piston upper makes no difference.  For this particular upper (SIG 516), the rail is proprietary, and I believe can be removed without having to slide anything over the barrel.  Is there anything maintenance wise, that a pinned comp will make difficult?

Oh and then there is very interesting comp for NJ specifically, the Nordic Components Tactical: http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nordic-components-tactical-compensator-223-black-oxide/

I would say as a comp is on par with the center group of comps, in my experience is as effective as the dynacomp or PWS, but it is the same diameter as barrel, it is very small, which means that once pinned you can still slide the gas block or front sight tower over it if you want to take the barrel assembly apart to replace a handguard or a barrel nut or whatever. That is a pretty awesome feature for NJ.  It is also VERY affordable at $40.

sportrifle_4.jpg

interesting, never seen this one before.

for people looking for a bc or dynacomp like brake but cheaper, parallax paracomp is every bit as effective but with more flash