T Bill

Great Amercian Outdoor Show - Feb 1-9 Harrisburg, PA

Get ready, The Great American Outdoor Show is coming to the PA Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA on February 1-9, 2014.

http://www.greatamericanoutdoorshow.org/home.aspx

This is the NRA's answer to the failed show last year.  Hope it's a good one.

Now for the bad news.  On another forum, a member asked if firearms would be able to be purchased at the show.  The answer if NO, you will not be able to purchase at the show.  The answer was provided by a member of the show staff.  

Good Morning Sir, 

In an effort to bring more options and educational opportunities to attendees, we have decided to not allow guns to be sold at the show. We have invited manufacturers including Beretta, Magpul, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Browning, Taurus, and more to the show-- none of these companies have ever displayed at this show before. Our hope in having these manufactures display is that attendees like yourself get to see, feel and work the actions on the company's full product line-- guns that normally wouldn't have been at the show. Our hope is that you will then go to the local retailers and dealers at the show and discuss the guns you saw at the manufacturers booth and place and order for the firearm with the retailer or dealer. While you can't actually take possession of the firearm at the show, you are able to order you firearm and take possession by picking it up at your local retailer or at the Mid-Atlantic Arms Collectors Gun Show, which is at the Farm Show Complex on March 22/23. 

The benefit of this is that we aren't giving anti-gunners any opportunity for negative PR. In today's political climate, NRA and firearms are under a microscope and there is no room for accidents or mistakes. Negative publicity could come from an illegal out-of-state transaction, an accidental discharge, a straw purchase, etc. As we've already seen the Bloomberg camp and fringe Anti-Gun groups are constantly trying to find and/or "create" negative scenarios for the cameras that could sway public opinion with the goal of trying to dissolve NRA and help erode the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens. We are giving them no opportunity. 

If you have any questions about our decision, please feel free to ask. 

Have a great day, 

Megan

Just letting you know...........

We have invited manufacturers including Beretta, Magpul, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Browning, Taurus, and more to the show-- none of these companies have ever displayed at this show before

I'm curious if anyone accepted the invitation --  It's a long ride for a lame show

Last time I went was 18 or 19 years ago -- I bought a gun but not at the show directly --

It needed to be ordered so I picked it up a few weeks later -- not sure if I could have taken it home from the show or not

Also booked a caribou hunt out of Canada

We have invited manufacturers including Beretta, Magpul, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Browning, Taurus, and more to the show-- none of these companies have ever displayed at this show before

I'm curious if anyone accepted the invitation --  It's a long ride for a lame show

Last time I went was 18 or 19 years ago -- I bought a gun but not at the show directly --

It needed to be ordered so I picked it up a few weeks later -- not sure if I could have taken it home from the show or not

Also booked a caribou hunt out of Canada

According to the exhibitor list on the offical website, ALL of the ones listed above are attending!

Thinking about going. I have a FL CCW which is know is no good in PA anymore but I know PA is an open-carry state so is it ok to carry at the event openly? Just want to know if I should bring my gun or leave it home.

Thanks

Thinking about going. I have a FL CCW which is know is no good in PA anymore but I know PA is an open-carry state so is it ok to carry at the event openly? Just want to know if I should bring my gun or leave it home.

Thanks

leave it home. i doubt you'll be able to carry in the venue and PA has the same directly to from the range unless you have a valid carry permit law as NJ. not worth the risk.

on another note, i will not be going as planned. my great grandfather passed away so i will have to fly to florida this weekend. eveyone that is going, have fun.

Thanks

I e-mailed and asked about it a few weeks ago.  I was told that concealed carry is allowed with proper permits but open carry is not.

leave it home. i doubt you'll be able to carry in the venue and PA has the same directly to from the range unless you have a valid carry permit law as NJ. not worth the risk.

on another note, i will not be going as planned. my great grandfather passed away so i will have to fly to florida this weekend. eveyone that is going, have fun.

My condolences

I e-mailed and asked about it a few weeks ago.  I was told that concealed carry is allowed with proper permits but open carry is not.

Thanks for the info, still deciding if I'm going or not. 

Thanks

I'll wait for one of our PA members to chime in to confirm this. But you would not be allowed to OC because PA has transport laws similar to NJ. Were you can transport a firearm in an automobile if you are going from your home to the range, dealer/gunsmith, hunting, your business, or other property you own. So driving from NJ to the event, taking your firearm out of the automobile strapping it to your hip to OC is not one of the exemptions. Unless you have a PA LTCF or carry permit from a state with reciprocity with PA.

From your experience, does it make sense to come to this show on a weekday (let's say, on Feb 4) instead of going Saturday or Sunday? (I think I might have such an opportunity next week)

On a plus side I guess it will be less crowded than on weekends, but how about certain expositions / participants? 

I am just asking because lots of different venues like that I visited or planned to visit in the past (not firearms related mostly) usually had very different sets of participants / schedule of events on weekdays compared to weekends, so that you would normally lose coming weekday if you go there for entertainment and not for business. Similar considerations here?

Less crowded during the week (opens at 10, not 9).  Some of the smaller vendor booths maybe empty for short periods as staff take food/bio breaks.  Some invited guests may only appear on certain days, see the web site for that (Nugent lovers alert - suppose to make appearance on Wednesday, 2/5).  Also seminars may only take place on certain days.

NRA's first year running this show.  I bet you they are going to make a big push to keep it all going all the time.

I will be going sometime during the week, probably the best weather day.

I'll wait for one of our PA members to chime in to confirm this. But you would not be allowed to OC because PA has transport laws similar to NJ. Were you can transport a firearm in an automobile if you are going from your home to the range, dealer/gunsmith, hunting, your business, or other property you own. So driving from NJ to the event, taking your firearm out of the automobile strapping it to your hip to OC is not one of the exemptions. Unless you have a PA LTCF or carry permit from a state with reciprocity with PA.

I thought open carry was legal in PA? (obviously not in restricted areas as outline in their law) 

"Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded firearm openly or concealed in a vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. When open carrying, be prepared for Police Officers to question you as open carrying firearm gets their attention. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.

The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against open carry except cities of the 1st class were given exemptions to some parts of preemption. Philadelphia has laws/ordinances concerning open carry and only those with a valid permit/license to carry can open carry in Philadelphia. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18. "

I thought open carry was legal in PA? (obviously not in restricted areas as outline in their law)

It's is, but like every other gun law it has restrictions/exemptions. And what you want to do is either restricted or does not meet the exemptions.

Go to this site and look into the Concealed/Open carry section of the site, start of by reading the stickies in the OC sub forum. http://forum.pafoa.org/

I'm hoping Vladtepes sees this, he will be able to set the record straight since he lives in PA.

Edited by NEAHS

It's is, but like every other gun law it has restrictions/exemptions. And what you want to do is either restricted or does not meet the exemptions.

Go to this site and look into the Concealed/Open carry section of the site, start of by reading the stickies in the OC sub forum. http://forum.pafoa.org/

I'm hoping Vladtepes sees this, he will be able to set the record straight since he lives in PA.

Thanks, I mean I NEVER go to PA so I could care less was just wondering since I read the above from handgunlaw.us and it makes it sound like they are pretty open to open carry. 

I just poked through the site you linked a bit. Basically, I've concluded that OC'ing is more of a headache then its worth. Which is obviously the idea of the communist politicians to keep people form exercising their rights. 

I just poked through the site you linked a bit. Basically, I've concluded that OC'ing is more of a headache then its worth. Which is obviously the idea of the communist politicians to keep people form exercising their rights. 

Yeah, PA gun laws ( while much better than NJ ) still have many restrictions & exemptions. They are by no means the best in the US.

is this the same show we all boycotted for not allowing the AR-15 to be sold last year ?

I believe it is Tony. But it was not organized by the NRA last year. I can't remember the name of the company that ran it last year.

Reed Exhibitions ( Headquarter in the UK )  ran it last year. It was named Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show.

Edited by NEAHS

Yeah, PA gun laws ( while much better than NJ ) still have many restrictions & exemptions. They are by no means the best in the US.

LOL, well pretty much any state is better then here. We have to rank in the top 3 worst states, CA, NY, and NJ i would think. 

I went. It was meh. I guess it depends what you are looking for, but the highlights for me where handling the new Remington 9mm and the Beretta rifle, and if you know me, those aren't really things I care about.

I don't regret going but I also wasn't wow'ed. I recommend going during the week if you can, the place was a mad house on Saturday.

I went on Wednesday and enjoyed it. For me it was a great chance to handle a multitude of different firearms, talk to some dealers, and get a tip on fixing one of my handguns. Plus, I've picked out the tonneau cover for my truck bed (Diamondbacks).

FWIW - the Beretta ARX 100 feels really awkward to hold and the backup sights suck. The rear sight is a big disk, almost like what the eye doc uses to check your eyes.

OTOH, the Remington R51 feels great in my hand and is on my list for a carry gun.

Also got to handle some Tavors, which feel very comfortable, and play with Rossi levers and Circuit Judges. R92 is in my near future now!