ryan_j

Buying an AR, risky?

Given the current political climate, is it even wise to consider buying an AR in NJ?

The way I see it, when CC leaves office, all hell will break loose. The contenders for the governorship after him are not looking good. We have Sweeney and Steve Fulop. Fulop I consider to be the most dangerous of them all because he's even interfering with what kinds of guns the police can buy... lord alone knows what he'll do to regular citizens if he takes the reins.

But I'm still tempted to get one, even if I'll have to dump it in 4 years.

Thoughts?

Yes, I know it's a depressing topic.

The thing you'r referring to is discussed here. It is six questions on an RFP for new police weaponry - Google it if you want to read more.

So I get the concern, and here what I am doing: Steve Fulop is a former Marine, who joined the military after 9/11 and was subsequently deployed to Iraq. So unlike 99% of anti-gun legislators, I know Fulop has carried one, and understands the difference between an M-16 and an AR-15. During the election, I wrote to the campaign and said that there are 25,000 FIDs in Jersey City, and we all own firearms for sport, hunting, and self-defense. We pay taxes, vote, and abide by all local laws, while criminals who traffic guns, do not. So I, personally, will support him as long as he does everything to uphold the law while not restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

No disrespect intended, but I get tired of gun owners who only think, "Me, me, me," who will drop thousands on fancy gear, but won't vote, or spend the $35 to join the NRA or NJ2AS, show up at rallies or even write their local representatives. I think you (and everyone else who reads this thread, myself included) needs to get and stay involved in politics to influence local politicians (like Fulop) so they have an accurate understanding of the shooting sports in NJ before they reach higher office.

To answer your question, if things are really that bad, do you think buying something other than an AR will be any better?

The thing you'r referring to is discussed here. It is six questions on an RFP for new police weaponry - Google it if you want to read more.

So I get the concern, and here what I am doing: Steve Fulop is a former Marine, who joined the military after 9/11 and was subsequently deployed to Iraq. So unlike 99% of anti-gun legislators, I know Fulop has carried one, and understands the difference between an M-16 and an AR-15. During the election, I wrote to the campaign and said that there are 25,000 FIDs in Jersey City, and we all own firearms for sport, hunting, and self-defense. We pay taxes, vote, and abide by all local laws, while criminals who traffic guns, do not. So I, personally, will support him as long as he does everything to uphold the law while not restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens.

No disrespect intended, but I get tired of gun owners who only think, "Me, me, me," who will drop thousands on fancy gear, but won't vote, or spend the $35 to join the NRA or NJ2AS, show up at rallies or even write their local representatives. I think you (and everyone else who reads this thread, myself included) needs to get and stay involved in politics to influence local politicians (like Fulop) so they have an accurate understanding of the shooting sports in NJ before they reach higher office.

To answer your question, if things are really that bad, do you think buying something other than an AR will be any better?

Believe me, I walk the walk, right down to my line of work.

As for buying something other than an AR be any better? Well, considering Cuomo likes to boast about his Remington shotgun, and Joe Biden like to boast about their shotguns, and Bloomberg et al keep telling us that things were so great when people were using 6 shot revolvers instead of semi auto handguns with high cap magazines, maybe yes, if they win, the future of gun ownership is headed that way.

But I do get the part about not letting them win.

did you get any replies from them? do you think that you had any influence? i'm not trying to be sarcastic.....i'm asking an honest question.....

you support fulop but question others? fulop already has come out as anti-gun.  the fact that he was a marine makes him worse than 99% of the anti-gun legislators

Believe me, I walk the walk, right down to my line of work.

I hear that... sorry to vent; I ran out to a few shops today, and met a few guys in one shop who started up about "the people's republic of NJ," and "Free America," but it turns out none of them were even registered to vote... just how it goes.

you support fulop but question others? fulop already has come out as anti-gun.  the fact that he was a marine makes him worse than 99% of the anti-gun legislators

Fulop ran against Jeremiah Healy, the original author of OGAM and champion of that legislation (thank him and Corzine for the 30 day wait). I'm on the fence about fully supporting Fulop; I respect that he's in a difficult position, being in Bloomberg's shadow. I'm going to look at legislation, not words , for the this term.

Get it, have fun with it. Who knows where you will be when the time comes.  All I can say is the last time (florio) it happened, not one person I know of surrendered or sold anything. All the banned items migrated to friendlier locales.  I am sure some of their owners has since rejoined them.  And those who have not, visit them regularly. 

did you get any replies from them? do you think that you had any influence? i'm not trying to be sarcastic.....i'm asking an honest question.....

No, it's a good question - not from the email, but at a campaign meet-and-greet - said he understood the frustration, wanted to keep illegal guns off the street without interfering with the rights of citizens, etc., kind of the party line, so we'll see what legislation gets introduced this term. I still think it's important to communicate with representatives of groups like Mayors Against Illegal Guns and try to influence their members to change the legislative priorities. Bloomberg can pump all the money in he wants - but in Jersey City, there are more than 25,000 FID holders, and the election was won by a much, much, much smaller margin that that.

No, it's a good question - not from the email, but at a campaign meet-and-greet - said he understood the frustration, wanted to keep illegal guns off the street without interfering with the rights of citizens, etc., kind of the party line, so we'll see what legislation gets introduced this term. I still think it's important to communicate with representatives of groups like Mayors Against Illegal Guns and try to influence their members to change the legislative priorities. Bloomberg can pump all the money in he wants - but in Jersey City, there are more than 25,000 FID holders, and the election was won by a much, much, much smaller margin that that.

If we could only get those 25,000 to come out and vote in a bloc ...

through my experience talking to active gun owners at work.....many many gun owners have no clue as to the shenanigans going on in this state concerning gun laws. i do my best to inform them.

This. I have educated a lot of the people I work with. Even the libs think the gun laws are dumb when I explain them.

Long Guns are not registered like handguns.  Nics only knows that it is a long gun.  If purchased out of state, NJSP doesn't have direct access to the dealers books.  When the time comes, they won't know who owns each one - you'll have a decision to make.  CT just registered a tiny fraction of their estimate of the number of "assault rifles" in their state.  Apparently the majority of gun owners will not comply.

I hear that... sorry to vent; I ran out to a few shops today, and met a few guys in one shop who started up about "the people's republic of NJ," and "Free America," but it turns out none of them were even registered to vote... just how it goes.

Fulop ran against Jeremiah Healy, the original author of OGAM and champion of that legislation (thank him and Corzine for the 30 day wait). I'm on the fence about fully supporting Fulop; I respect that he's in a difficult position, being in Bloomberg's shadow. I'm going to look at legislation, not words , for the this term.

I doubt jersey city will ever have a pro gun mayor but fulop has shown enough to see where he stands

going back to the original post.... no, not risky..  buy one if you want one.  they are legal (even if they have to be neutered a bit)..  full stop.  if i had to money to, i would buy one right now.  the timing will not be better for getting one, as the bottom has fallen out of the AR market.  Manufacturers ramped up production to meet the crazy demand earlier in 2013 through the end of the summer, and then everyone who wanted one had gotten one, and now there's a lot more stock..  prices have come way down.  I mean, you can get an M&P15 for less than $600..  slightly on the entry level side, but fully functional and not a bad gun from all I hear.. if you are looking for one, buy it and dont look back

I'll be dissappoointed if you don't buy one haha ..j/k, . No reason not to.. As long as your features are compliant now, do not dwell on what the silly a$$ legislators may do in the future. As many of the above stated...HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE. I  have 3 in different calibers and they are a blast.

Another great point was voting and supporting our 2A groups via rallies, membership, donations, letters etc., I need to do my part emailing and writing letters in 2014, as it seems voting alone was not sufficient in 2013

This. I have educated a lot of the people I work with. Even the libs think the gun laws are dumb when I explain them.

that is something i've noticed too. almost all of them will say something like "well that's stupid. who are they protecting?" or "how does that stop criminals? it sounds like it only affects law abiding people."

that is something i've noticed too. almost all of them will say something like "well that's stupid. who are they protecting?" or "how does that stop criminals? it sounds like it only affects law abiding people."

And with a shop in Cherry Hill, you have access to an abundance of liberal, law abiding '2A-ignorants' to educate.

Show them the tyranny going on.

Jews For the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) http://jpfo.org/ is a great place to start.

Given the current political climate, is it even wise to consider buying an AR in NJ?

Are you so afraid that someone may take something from you that you would deny yourself even the possibility of owning something?  Why have a car because someone may steal it? Why own a house when it might burn down? Why have a girlfriend or wife if one day the relationship my fail?

Why live, when one day you will die?