RobertJames

To Polish or Not to Polish

After looking for quite some time, I obtained an SKS 45 from a fellow forum member.  All the metal parts are numbers matching, the stock was replaced when it was rearsenaled.  It's a really nice example IMHO.  Part of the process to rearsenal was to paint the bolt and carrier black to match the receiver and barrel.  My question, if I remove the paint and polish to the original finish, will that affect any collect-ability?  Should I just get a new bolt and carrier and hang on to the originals in a safe place?

Pics later today.

Maybe this belongs in Gunsmithing.

In short, yes it will change its value.

I wouldn't touch it but that is coming from a person who enjoys any scratch, carving, shrapnel, etc, in an old gun.

If you really don't like it, buy those extra parts and keep the original oiled and in a safe place. Or just polish them. It's your gun, you can do what you want!

On the other hand, it is an SKS, not a rare Finn Mosin, nor a Swede or Argentine Mauser. Its value is never going to be THAT great as a collectible so if it will make your ownership more pleasant, go for it. 

I'm a bit amused how certain collector scream about "don't bubba that rifle!" when the example at hand is not that rare, and by doing that to it it raises the value of all the other collectibles.

I would say it wouldn't hurt the value to do that. It would look like it originally did. There are only a few sks rifles that I would say are rare and collectible. Those would be a papered bringback with all 3 forms and the Vietnamese produced version.

2006 or 07 you could buy a SKS for 98 bucks !! 

As long as you take care of a military gun and dont Bubba it, Its money in the bank.

And yes its yours do what you want . 

Your SKS is Russian ? Make sure its not a DDR before you mess with it  

actually theres more than a few that have value. There is quite a few variables to what makes them collectable

If its a Russian do not touch it cause there will be no more coming in to the US

SKS are collectable, except for the new chinese ones

I have quite a few and always buying more

actually theres more than a few that have value. There is quite a few variables to what makes them collectable

If its a Russian do not touch it cause there will be no more coming in to the US

SKS are collectable, except for the new chinese ones

I have quite a few and always buying more

such as ?  I am interested to know as I run into quite a few sks rifles every year.

ahh man you really need to join the sks boards http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php if you haven't already.

If you do, just like here make a intro post in the intro thread or you will get chewed out. There's a bunch of us NJGF guys over there. There is to much for me to type out. I bought one last year now I have a undisclosed amount due to their addictiveness and collectability. I keep finding some rarer ones by accident and just can't let them pass. I am still learning and in no way a expert. I would love to help you out but you'd get better info there or maybe another member here will chime in who knows alot about them

ahh man you really need to join the sks boards http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php if you haven't already.

If you do, just like here make a intro post in the intro thread or you will get chewed out. There's a bunch of us NJGF guys over there. There is to much for me to type out. I bought one last year now I have a undisclosed amount due to their addictiveness and collectability. I keep finding some rarer ones by accident and just can't let them pass. I am still learning and in no way a expert. I would love to help you out but you'd get better info there or maybe another member here will chime in who knows alot about them

I am not an expert either but I was always told the legit Vietnam stuff was the most valuable. I have been trying for the last 4 years to get a legit matching Vietnam bringback from the Vet that brought it back. It is in good shape and has the 3 forms to go with it. I will post the rig on here when I finally get it. I am hoping it will be very soon.

The SKS rifle is not very valuable but a few varieties are. When I get the Vietnam bringback I will post them. I am already setup to inherit it but I want it now. The rifle and gear are an important piece of history and I am trying my hardest to get it in my hands before that. If it was so easy I would have had it a few years ago.