boo

Gun for Hire Urban Pistol 1 experience

Thought I'd write up my experience taking Gun for Hire Urban Pistol 1 last night. 

My background: I've been shooting for just under 6 months, but have a certain comfort level with handguns given a 3,000+ round count so far. Previous training includes a 4hr Intro NRA course, private instruction with Jimmy at GFH, and also Low Light 1 at GFH. I really wanted to take Urban Pistol 1 back in October, but my FID/permits hadn't come in yet and they had to adhere to their policy of no rental guns during the class. I've also dabbled in a couple action pistol type events, though none formal, and both firing only while stationary. I'd add that those events helped a lot to increase comfort with holster drawing and having range safety procedures ingrained.

If you're interested in this class, I suggest you check their site regularly and not wait for it to be announced in their e-mails. It fills up and reaches capacity fairly fast.

I noticed the instructors, Bill and John, haven't been mentioned in past reviews, but it's my understanding that both are now largely responsible for firearms training classes. Both are experienced with long list of credentials, including firearms training, of course. Bill comes from NJSP, while John is with Woodland Park PD.

Topics covered during the class included:

1. proper stance

2. holster drawing technique, shooting from the holster

3. scanning, assessment, and movement

4. reloading in your "workspace", combat vs tactical reloads 

5. hip shooting to a target an armslength in front of you (there's a name for this, but I forget)

6. firing from kneeling positions

7. one handed shooting and one arm reloads, both strong and weakhand

8. moving with a loaded gun (position "sul")

9. turning 90/180 degrees and shooting

10. shooting on the move

I think that about covers it. The usefulness of dry firing was discussed, and a couple drills were suggested. The course description mentions shooting from cover and room clearing, but those weren't addressed in detail. Not sure if it's been moved to a later class, or if they just didn't get to it. In addition, there was a lot of discussion of the mindset needed for a gun owner. It sounds dumb for me to want to point out, but Bill comes across as very pro self defense compared to what I'd expect from an active duty LEO. I guess it speaks to how much I've been brainwashed living in NJ. He discussed the importance of being a "sheepdog" versus a "sheep", and things were a bit sobering when he discussed the consequences of using a gun for self defense in NJ and that your family should be warned ahead of time, i.e., you will be led out in handcuffs, you will be demonized by the press, you will spend an @ss load of money on legal fees, and your life will never be the same. But at least you and your family will be safe. 

There were 12 people in the class, with two firing lines being used. The round count was much lower than I had expected. Previous reviewers reported shooting 300+ rounds, but I only shot 140 (including about 45 rounds in what was basically an ammo dump toward the end...a great chance to test out my short-reset trigger!). Not only were those with different instructors, but I think it's also because of the use of two firing lines whereas reviews I read involved smaller classes with just a single firing line. It was also my same experience in Low Light 1 (also taught by Bill)  where the actual round count was less than half of that recommended on the course description. Drills are set up around having 3 mags, the vast majority of the time loaded with 5 rounds each. This was to provide more opportunities to practice reloads, and I believe to be mindful of a student with what I believe was a lower capacity single stack 1911. On just a few occassions, we loaded up with 7 or more rounds. 

Most of my shooting has been with a Springfield XD9, but I figured I'd use the class as an opportunity to get more acquainted with a Sig Sauer P229 9mm that hasn't seen much range time. My biggest adjustment, besides having to get acquainted with initial double action pull, is that the decocker on the Sig is placed similarly to the slide lever on the XD9. When trying to lock the slide back to show clear, I kept working the decocker instead of the slide lever, making me wonder if my gun was broken :embarrassed:

Another minor issue is that I was using a Galco IWB holster over a tucked in shirt, and because of the slick surface of the back of the holster, my shirt would keep riding up and over the holster, and I've to adjust myself after each drill. Bill warned that these classes are a good time to assess your gear, as he'd rather you find out that a holster isn't working for you there as opposed to the middle of a home invasion. I think I'm going to go with a holster with a textured back surface, like the suede on a Hidden Hybrid. Of course, going OWB would make life easier, but I really want to get comfortable with IWB. Given my Utah CCW, it seems more likely that if I end up using a firearm during a high-stress situation from a holster (knock on wood...), I'll be drawing from IWB.

One thing that surprised me about the class was the lack of emphasis on certain shooting fundamentals, such as trigger control or sight picture. I noticed prior reviews mentioned dot drills, but we were shooting entirely for centermass and head. I hope I'm not just putting words in Bill's mouth, but i think his viewpoint is that likely confrontations will occur at short range, and it's more important to get a bullet on a bad guy as fast as possible, rather than standing there taking your sweet time confirming your sight picture and timing your breath control. For the most part, shooting was done at 5 yards and in. I wonder if fundamentals would be addressed in greater detail in later classes. Bill does stress "no absolutes, only options", i.e., no one has the best single answer for anything, and he encourage students to work with other instructors (shhh, don't tell Anthony) to get a feel for other styles and implement what works best for them.

Overall, I thought the class was great. I think someone with maybe 1,000 rounds of experience and comfort dealing with malfunctions would do fine. Some practice ahead of time on holster drawing and reloads from youtube would be extremely beneficial. I'm already signed up for Urban Pistol 2 and can't wait!

Class was $225, minus a 10% membership discount. I know there also discounts available from memberships in certain organizations. Class was about 4.5 hours. Scheduled for 5:30pm start, but it didn't get going until almost 6pm. We left around 10:30 pm.

Boo, nice review.  I've taken the class a couple of times with the previous instructors.  You are correct that since previous classes were held at the police range in Cedar Grove, which is considerably wider, most of us were on the firing line on the same time, hence the higher round count back then.

I think you are correct going with an IWB holster when you carry out of state.  I think the better ability to hide your firearm vs. the extreme unlikelihood that you would ever need to use it is a good tradeoff.

Yes, in prior versions of this class we spent some time working on dot drills.  I think in a class of four hours or so, you are better off practicing things that are harder to do on your own, like moving and shooting, shooting from behind cover, etc.  We can work at becoming better marksmen on our own time.  Plus, it occurred to me that trying for precision shooting in a critical encounter could get a person killed.  In that situation, I would agree with Bill, that getting hits on target as quickly as possible should be one's primary objective.

Now on to UP2 and UP3!

Are there prerequisites to take the class? What do you need to bring?

Here's the link:

http://gunforhire.com/classes/gun-for-hire-urban-pistol-1/

The stated prerequisite for the class is having taken First Steps pistol or the equivalent. I'd just suggest being at the point where you don't need your "hand held", so to speak. This would include being able to clear malfunctions on your own (you don't want to be holding up the class while one of the instructors stops to clear your gun) and to be comfortable in your knowledge of the basics (grip, sight picture, trigger pull, etc.) as they won't be going over it with you in detail.

The gear requirement is listed on the link. The only additional item I'd suggest is a proper holster belt. I did Low Light 1 with a regular belt and I swear I got an arm workout from having to pull up my pants the whole time. If you're nearby, there's a tactical store just like mile south of GFH on McBride Ave, but I forget the name. I also strongly suggest electronic hearing protection so that it will be easy to hear commands. I don't see the cleaning kit as necessary. Also, feel free to bring more than one gun, though you'll want to have an appropriate holster/mag pouch for each. There was one guy wearing a chest rig, while another brought a medical pack. Neither are required, but feel to add items as you wish.

Just one thing I'd add for fellow newer shooters 

Please follow instructions on safe gun handling

- Do not uncase your gun unless told to do so

- Do not load your gun unless told to do so and only unload your gun with a round chambered at the specified area. Don't be whipping your gun out at the loading area to check if you still have a round in the chamber because you lost track. Change magazines while your gun remains holstered, and you'll be given the opportunity to load a round in the chamber later, or as they say "load and make ready". Only unload a chambered round at the end of the range facing the targets and notify an instructor first.

- Do not unholster your gun, unloaded or not unless told to do so. This is especially true if you're waiting your turn to shoot and standing behind another firing line! 

I just thought I'd emphasize that last line because there was one guy who was unholstering his gun and fiddling around with it while in one of the waiting firing lines that the instructors didn't see, and I regret not calling him out on it.

If at any point you aren't sure whether something is permitted, or are unsure on the proper safety procedure just ask!

Boo thanks for all the info! I have one more question: what difference would a "tactical" belt make over my regular Levi's leather belt? This isn't like a thin leather belt like you'd where with khakis ...it's like a wider one you wear with jeans. I'm just curious. I'll definitely get something tactical just because I love that sht. But I am curious lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norseman, you don't really need a specifically "tactical" belt.  A wide, sturdy belt would work just as well.  I recently got a thick Galco belt, and it's great, but I've been through GFH's entire pistol series using just a robust ordinary belt.  

I'm definitely no belt expert, but I tried three different leather jean style belts and I found that they kept stretching on me. I finally picked up a 5.11 trainer belt and it's worked great. Also, it isn't so wide at 1.5" so it could also be used as a jean belt itself. My only nitpick is that the buckle is heavy. While it's great that it's rated for 6,000 pounds, I don't plan on towing any cars with it. I could have sworn seeing a similar belt with a polymer buckle, but I was in a hurry and just went with this one.

Look no further for a quality belt designed to fit in regular belt loops and support the weight of a pistol, reloads, and any ancillary equipment you want to carry. I have two of these, they make carrying a full size gun every day easier. I use them for training classes, competition, teaching, and lo-pro carry.

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

Look no further for a quality belt designed to fit in regular belt loops and support the weight of a pistol, reloads, and any ancillary equipment you want to carry. I have two of these, they make carrying a full size gun every day easier. I use them for training classes, competition, teaching, and lo-pro carry.

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

i love these belts.  and i dont even carry.  i even had one of their backpackers belt but cant wear it anymore because i lost too much weight