usnmars

A wall hanger with a story.. a cool one too.

I went to a local gun auction today and had to bring this bad boy home.  Its a US model 1861 musket with a cool story written on a note on the buttstock.  I for some odd reason cannot get my camera to take pictures worth a damn inside with incandescent light so hopefully I can get some better pictures tomorrow when it is light out.  I am sorry for the bad pics but you can at least read the note......:-)
P1000268_zpsd32bddd1.jpg
P1000279_zps7405e0d7.jpg
P1000281_zps3ca7846a.jpg

I have a dresser made by my great grandfather and great-great grandfather in Nebraska where they were homesteading - lumber came from their original farm in Arkansas.   They lost the Nebraska farm in the dust bowl and my grandfather came to NJ looking for work.  The dresser came to NJ later when he sent word to the rest of the family that there was work available here.  It's the dresser I use every day.

My grandfather wood burned the history into the back of the mirror with a note that the history should be added to by each person who owns it and that it should be handed down to a male member of the family in each generation.

The history is true because I heard it from my grandfather himself.  He was there and even he got one date wrong.  So a bad date date is not a deal killer on something that was recorded after the fact.

I like that it's a contraband gun.  1860's "I will not comply".

Well I brought it over to a well respected civil war collector and he was wanting it bad.  It seems like the note has a possibility of being written in the early 1900's to help preserve the history and some details got mish mashed.  The bayonet is legit Confederate, it matched 100% to an example in his books.  Its a Preston made in Manchester UK and has an extremely light engraving of a number on the socket and a tiny stamped anchor.   According to the book he had it showed all the characteristics of a Confederate bayo.  The rifle was of the right time period, and considering I paid less than $100 for it he is guessing the note wasn't put on by a humper trying to get more money.  Hmmm, gotta love a mystery. 

William Rollins was in the Eleventh Infantry company E, which was at Appomattox Court House, April 9 for the Surrender of Lee and his army according to my research.  Here is his paperwork.  WOW this is getting REALLY COOL!!!!
RollinsService_zpsa9a5a096.png