fireman00

6 months and waiting

I dropped off my FID application with NJSP Washington, NJ barracks on July 26th, 2013.  My references were called on January 22nd, 2014.  Any idea what that means?  Do the references get called after the background check is done?  Any idea on how much longer I'll be waiting? 

Annoyed by the wait. 

Call the barracks and ask to speak to the Captain, or whomever is in charge.

Politely explain your case and see what they say?

I never can understand how it can take some locations so long to process 

an application? In Lacey twp. its 4-5 weeks MAX and when my wife get here

paper back in 4.5 weeks - they apologized for taking so long.

God - I love my town!

The last two rounds of permits I did at the Bridgeton Barracks had the reference checks done within a week of my handing in the application. I spoke to the trooper who handled the applications monthly and he always was willing to look up my file and give me an update.  The update was that the paperwork was still in Trenton and he didn't have it back yet.  A year ago it took 5 months.  5 months ago it took 3 months.

I do believe the delay for my barracks is months lingering in Trenton.   The local trooper was on top of it and called me as soon as he got the paperwork back.

For the past several years it has taken me between 5-1/2 and 6 months for anything to go through the Hamilton NJSP.  Hopefully you are getting close.

just sropped off pistol permits on 1/18 at Hamilton. My initial ID took 5+ months as well and this time the desk sargent told me outright "just so you know, it is taking a few months now"

Fireman00, I'm not sure how your actual barrack will differ but it may

Mine took 2 months and they didnt call any of my references, Washington Twp (South Jersey)

They didn't call my references either on my last batch of P2Ps... I think they are realizing that this is just a waste of time since they know we have to pass a NICS check before we buy anyway.

It only takes this long because they don't give a rats ass about your rights and don't do their jobs. Period. Do you think people are working on your permits everyday for 6 months? It's sitting there collecting dust. NJFID is unconstitutional because you must give up your 5th amendment rights to exercise your 2nd.

My PD has always, like clock work, delivered my permits in a months time.... You think Trenton discriminates the NJSP over Municipal departments? I think not.. I put in for permits this past October, had them in November.. already blew them both... There is really only one variable in the equation between waiting 3 weeks to months on end, and its the issuing department.

My PD has always, like clock work, delivered my permits in a months time.... You think Trenton discriminates the NJSP over Municipal departments? I think not.. I put in for permits this past October, had them in November.. already blew them both... There is really only one variable in the equation between waiting 3 weeks to months on end, and its the issuing department.

I got my last batch of permits in 4 weeks from the local pd. Got to love how even the state refers to their process of gun control as a "scheme".

i wouldnt listen to a word NJ2AS says. They cant even.handle each other how can you trust them to handle your rights

I would have to disagree with you on this, and frankly there may not be a larger critic of NJ2AS in the past than I.  However, what they have done here is detailed a PLAN for YOU to EXECUTE for YOUR BENEFIT.  This is actually one of their greatest accomplishments IMO.  They detailed the parts of the process and put knowledge "out there" on the interwebs.  Let's not forget, knowledge is power.  Furthermore, YOU are your greatest advocate.

Now all we need is someone with BALLS to put together a letter to the State Attorney General demanding an investigation (and notifying a few 2A sympathetic news sources) into why the NJSP takes between 3 and 10 times longer than most towns, townships and cities within the state to process the FPID and PTPPFR (Permit to Purchase a Pistol and Form of Registration) requests of citizens in towns without municipal PD's.

so... one reference was called 3 weeks ago and asked to answer the questions that were on the reference letter sent by NJSP.  2nd reference also got the call 3 weeks ago but because he works Pittman schedule he couldn't get ahold of the trooper until today.  He was told there's no reason that anyone would call and ask for a reference to answer the questions over the phone.  He was told there's nothing to worry about.  

6 months, 15 days and counting. 

My concern is that if I call and start asking questions about the status of the permit it'll wind up at the bottom of a pile of papers or just disappear. 

so... one reference was called 3 weeks ago and asked to answer the questions that were on the reference letter sent by NJSP.  2nd reference also got the call 3 weeks ago but because he works Pittman schedule he couldn't get ahold of the trooper until today.  He was told there's no reason that anyone would call and ask for a reference to answer the questions over the phone.  He was told there's nothing to worry about.  

6 months, 15 days and counting. 

My concern is that if I call and start asking questions about the status of the permit it'll wind up at the bottom of a pile of papers or just disappear. 

I always start calling after 2 months, just to check and make sure there everything is moving along.  If you are professional and polite and simply ask about the status of your paperwork I don't think you will be put in th eback of the pile.  After 3 months I start calling every 2 weeks, and I am always professional and polite. 

The references are called on the local level, while the NJSP background investigation is done in Trenton, and is the source of the the longest delay from what they say in my town, and the admin who does the paperwork said that the state took about 4 weeks for me. The process must be different is you file directly to the NJSP. I think that in most cases when the delay is months long, then the delay results from an anti-gun attitude at the local level, but I have only had experience with filing locally. I just got a P2P in my town with a total of 7 weeks and a day between my submission and the call to come pick it up, and the process fell over the Christmas and New Year's holidays.

I always start calling after 2 months, just to check and make sure there everything is moving along.  If you are professional and polite and simply ask about the status of your paperwork I don't think you will be put in th eback of the pile.  After 3 months I start calling every 2 weeks, and I am always professional and polite

Thats exactly what I do as well. They have always given me some sort of update when I call and i'm pretty sure jm1827 and I both submit through Hamilton NJSP. Hope the OP gets the word sooner rather than later. GL

My brother applied for initial permit through his town/local police station in Buena, NJ and got his in under 5 days. My town doesn't have cops so I had to go through NJSP in Tuckerton. They got mine back to me in just 90 days, I had NJSP as references so that might have helped. I did call after the second month & was told they would check on it.

I think if you live upstate you might do better going to a NJSP Barracks in a smaller area. They have less traffic and might be a bit easier to deal with. In Newark the work load will be a hundred times what, say, Westcreek is.

Just a thought...

Who do you call to check on the status? I just called the NJSPFIU (609.882.2000 ext 2060) and they told me they can't tell me about my status, I had to get it my status from my local pd I submitted it to... But I could have sworn when I turned in my P2P paperwork, they said after they submitted it to NJSP that they have no way of knowing what's going on with it.... 

Did NJSPFIU just spin me???

More than likely it's your local PD spinning you, and it's sitting in a pile on someone's desk waiting to be taken care of. From what I gather, the NJSP checks requested by local PDs are processed fairly quickly, but NJSP serves as a perfect scapegoat. If I recall correct, it's a different division at NJSP that processes the background checks and not FIU. I remembered tracking them down by calling the NICS group and getting forwarded to the right department. 

Yes, your local PD would know what's holding up your application (but whether they tell you the true reason, that's another story).

Edit: When you talking to your PD you ideally want to be able to say "I spoke with the XXXX unit at NJSP and also with the county adjuster. NJSP confirms having returned the results of my check to you on XXXX date, and the county adjuster confirms having returned the results of my mental health check to you on on XXXX date. Can you let me know where my application stands?". It makes it harder for them to pass the buck.

Just called them. The lady I talked to was very polite and surprisingly VERY helpful. Said it had come back from NJSP, and they were sending it to chief of police for the signatures on Monday, so hopefully sometime soon after that. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic about it, but I really hope that is the case. :)

Sorry to bump, but not sure how the NJSP prioritizes. I dropped my paperwork off also at the Washington barracks at the end of October and had my P2P in late January. Not ideal timing but better than the OP's experience with the same NJSP barracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk