Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Slugging a Mosin

I have decided that I would like to try some reloads for my Mosin (91/30 basic inexpensive Aim purchase but shoots good) and in order to find the true barrel ID I will have to slug the barrel.  Anything I should know or watch out for? 

I have plenty of lead fishing weights, and I put an inside micrometer down the barrel as far as I couls past the coutnerbore (lD came back as .311 but that was only 5 inches down the barrell).  My guess is I should start with something like a .309 slug and see how hard it is to push down, if it goes too easily up it by 0.002 and try again, lube and repeat until I have a snug fit. 

The gun shoots 4" groups at 100 yards now, hopefully I can find a reload that is a bit more accurate, even if i don't I still want to reload for this gun.

Thanks, any info is appreciated.

Thanks, I know better than to try a wood dowel but I had better check my lead sinkers to see if they are pure lead.  I will start with something around .309 or so and see how it goes.  Thanks again.

I've only shot surplus ammo in my mosin and I'm pretty sure it's steel cases.  Are you able to get brass cases in 7.62x54r?  Is it going to be cheaper than surplus ammo at $.19/round.

I have plenty of brass cases in 7.62X54R, so that won't be a problem.  I doubt I can reload for $0.19/round but I should be fairly inexpensive with reloads, and hopefully I can improve accuracy with the right mix.

Can I ask why you would go thru all this effort to get a little more accuracy from a 150 dollar rifle? With surplus ammo at dirt cheap costs it seems like a waste to me. I believe there are other things you can do to pick up some accuracy. Google accurizing a mosin.

If this is for shits any giggles then by all means go for it.

I was under the impression that the 7.62x54R cartridge couldn't be re loaded because you cant punch out the old primers? I could be wrong. I never saw the need to reload that round because a spam can of 440 is so cheap.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

reloading a mosin is quite fun especially when you find "THE LOAD."  You must remember that the surplus spam cans on the market now are not held to any tight tolerances as most of the ammo was intended for the PKM machine gun.  There was a sale a year or so ago when they were selling Lapua brass for $20 per hundred IIRC, needless to say I stocked up.  I have found that all of my mosins love the .308 Hornady 150gr SST's and some 4895 quite well.  Even though the bullet is technically undersize, for some odd reason they love that load.  I initially made the combination as a semi joke to mess with a friend when he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but I was shocked what it did.  By all accounts this load should not shoot at all but it shoots like a dream. 

This group was from the day I discovered the dream load, shot out of my PU sniper that slugs .311  This is 10 shots at 100 before I adjusted the sights to match, this was just checking grouping. 

DSC00991.jpg

Can I ask why you would go thru all this effort to get a little more accuracy from a 150 dollar rifle? With surplus ammo at dirt cheap costs it seems like a waste to me. I believe there are other things you can do to pick up some accuracy. Google accurizing a mosin.

I actually have a few Mosins and will be making a shooter out of one of them, depending on how each of them shoot with some reloads.  I am fairly confident that I can get close to MOA accuracy or maybe a little better with one of these rifles just by working up a reload.  Once I have a reload then I can tinker with some additional accurizing or maybe a new stock, who knows. 

I was under the impression that the 7.62x54R cartridge couldn't be re loaded because you cant punch out the old primers? I could be wrong. I never saw the need to reload that round because a spam can of 440 is so cheap.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

It depends on the brass, if they are Berdan primed than you can't relaod (well you can if you can get the primer out but it is extremely difficult) if they are Boxer primed then no problem. 

reloading a mosin is quite fun especially when you find "THE LOAD."  You must remember that the surplus spam cans on the market now are not held to any tight tolerances as most of the ammo was intended for the PKM machine gun.  There was a sale a year or so ago when they were selling Lapua brass for $20 per hundred IIRC, needless to say I stocked up.  I have found that all of my mosins love the .308 Hornady 150gr SST's and some 4895 quite well.  Even though the bullet is technically undersize, for some odd reason they love that load.  I initially made the combination as a semi joke to mess with a friend when he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but I was shocked what it did.  By all accounts this load should not shoot at all but it shoots like a dream. 

This group was from the day I discovered the dream load, shot out of my PU sniper that slugs .311  This is 10 shots at 100 before I adjusted the sights to match, this was just checking grouping. 

DSC00991.jpg

Exactly, this is why I reload.  Excellent grouping there, I may just start with a .308 and see how it works.

do your accurizing before you load test.  They overall tend to prefer a little bit of shimming under the nose cap on the stock.  I use a piece of leather and this gives about 5lbs upward pressure on the barrel, do a little shimming on the receiver end too.  Trigger jobs are easy.  Do your accurizing prior to shooting for accuracy. 

do your accurizing before you load test.  They overall tend to prefer a little bit of shimming under the nose cap on the stock.  I use a piece of leather and this gives about 5lbs upward pressure on the barrel, do a little shimming on the receiver end too.  Trigger jobs are easy.  Do your accurizing prior to shooting for accuracy. 

Thanks, appreciate the info.  I think I may have a fairly good shooter, even though it is counter bored the rifling is clean and it shoots the surplus ammo pretty well.