ogfarmer

PRODUCT RECALL!!! NOTICE WINCHESTER® 22 LR RIMFIRE AMMUNITION

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/s22lrt-recall.aspx

1/28/2014

Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling two (2) lots of M*22™ 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Copper Plated Round Nose rimfire ammunition.

Symbol Number: S22LRT
Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L

Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable.

match-recall-2.jpgDO NOT USE WINCHESTER® M*22™ 22 Long Rifle RIMFIRE AMMUNITION WITH LOT NUMBERS GD42L or GD52L. The ammunition Lot Number is imprinted (stamped without ink) on the left tuck flap of the 500-round carton as indicated here. The 1000-round intermediate carton does not have a Lot Number, you must open it and check the boxes that are inside of it.

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol Number and Lot Number. If it is Symbol Number S22LRT with a Lot Number containing GD42L or GD52L immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 866-423-5224 or visit http://www.winchester.com/Product-Service/Pages/Contact-Us.aspx for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol Number S22LRT with Lot Numbers GD42L and GD52L. Other Symbol Numbers or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition recall please call toll-free 866-423-5224, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 Attn: S22LRT Recall), or contact Winchester Customer Support online.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Crap I have like 8k rounds of that ammo. Thanks for the heads up. So what happens, you send in your ammo and they send you new ammo. ???

No, they send it back to you with +P+ stamped on the box!    

:-)

Is this stuff that has been out relatively recently?

There was a lengthy thread here when Midway got some at the height of the .22 shortage...lots of folks back ordered and wondering when/if it would show up.

I just checked mine.  It's lot 3GD52L    One of the recalled lots is GD52L.   I have a call in to Winchester to see if mine is a completely different lot number, or if that leading 3 means something else, and I'm affected.   I'd estimate I shot about 400 of the 1000, without noticing anything wrong.

just got off the phone with them , mine are ok

There was a lengthy thread here when Midway got some at the height of the .22 shortage...lots of folks back ordered and wondering when/if it would show up.

I just checked mine.  It's lot 3GD52L    One of the recalled lots is GD52L.   I have a call in to Winchester to see if mine is a completely different lot number, or if that leading 3 means something else, and I'm affected.   I'd estimate I shot about 400 of the 1000, without noticing anything wrong.

I asked about yours and Yours are part of the recall the 3 is not important, its the rest of the number. You will get a replacement

I asked about yours and Yours are part of the recall the 3 is not important, its the rest of the number. You will get a replacement

Thanks for checking!   I'll go online and get a return shipping label from Winchester.

so if i have 2 boxes with the GD52L lot, they will actually send me back 2 different boxes?  someone said in a different thread they were going to send a check for the return...  (?)

so if i have 2 boxes with the GD52L lot, they will actually send me back 2 different boxes? someone said in a different thread they were going to send a check for the return... (?)

You will have to ask them, I have read different things in different places

I read they were made around april of 2013 but who knows exactly. I checked mine last night and mine are gd32 so I am good to go. On rimfire central supposedly they were sending checks to cover the recalled product not new ammo. Hopefully that is not the case since its so fun to try and get 22lr right now.

You will have to ask them, I have read different things in different places

I just got off the phone with them…here is my experience.

I have a box of 1000 affected by the recall.  I told them I shot perhaps 400 rounds--and I asked for a UPS pickup to return the ammo.  No problem, I was reminded to label the box 'Cartridges Small Arms ORM-D' and UPS would show up with a prepaid pre-addressed label and take the box off my hands.   Easy enough.

But…they're going to issue me a check, and I could not talk them into replacing the ammunition instead.   I tried, I really tried.  I was told that ammo replacement was only an option if the box was unopened…everyone else gets a check.     Amount of payment is not yet known, which is kinda weird.  She said average retail for the 1000 pack was around $50 or $60, and the reimbursement would be higher than that.    I paid about $60, shipped, so I'm not losing money, and I did get to shoot 400 rounds without a problem, but of course converting that cash back into .22 ammo won't be easy.   And I suspect those folks who paid panic-buying prices through resellers are going to be hosed if they return partial boxes.   Maybe Winchester will be sympathetic if you have a receipt showing a higher price, but I have a hunch they'll stick with their 'average retail price' figure.

Bottom line--if you have unopened boxes, count yourself lucky.   You can get replacement ammo.

Here is my update.  I received a check in the mail today for $100.   I don't know if that is what they sent everyone who returned a 1000 pack, or if it was reduced since I'd shot about 400 rounds out of the box without problem--but I suspect it's what everyone got.  

So the reimbursement was indeed more than average retail, and I'm happy with it.   It's still going to be hard converting the money back into .22LR, though.  

Anyone have a lead on CCI Std Velocity?  That's at the top of my wish list--it's the only thing my bullseye gun will feed reliably.