checko

Cigar International Bethlehem meetup 2/22

Made the trip on Friday (2/7).  Nothing to see here.  Prices high (primers were $40/1K), no powder on the shelves, and not much better for heads.  Shotgun shells were no bargain ($70/cs and up), and the Bargain Cave was empty.  Last two trips out there have been a bust.  Went on the Outdoor Show, pretty good for a retail vendor show.  Best thing I saw was the "Crazy Quail".

I passed by there tonight.   The ammo shelves were almost fully stocked, except for .22, which was absent except for some match ammo ($99/500) from a maker I didn't recognize.  Bullets also fully stocked, some brass available, lots of primers in every size ($39/CCI, $37/Win).   Very little powder; only 4064 and RL17, I believe, but many cans of those two.

Grab a few more Eagle Scouts and Dads and some cast iron skillets and we could have a Pot-Luck Brunch-N-Smoke around a campfire, lol!  I can bring the Bacon from the Hog Hunt, lol!

Seriously, I'd love to have a smoke-N-Chat with you guys somewhere.........

I passed by there tonight.   The ammo shelves were almost fully stocked, except for .22, which was absent except for some match ammo ($99/500) from a maker I didn't recognize.  Bullets also fully stocked, some brass available, lots of primers in every size ($39/CCI, $37/Win).   Very little powder; only 4064 and RL17, I believe, but many cans of those two.

On my return trip last night, I stopped by the Bass Pro Shop in Harrisburg, and Cabela's again.  While these snapshots of inventory may be of limited use, here is what I found.

It was my first visit to Bass Pro Shop.  It's probably twice the size of Cabelas, which I wouldn't have thought possible.  It's amazingly big.  I wouldn't make a special trip from NJ to visit, but if you are in the neighborhood it's pretty cool.    Unfortunately, they had no .22 of any kind, but reasonably good availability of most other calibers/gauges.   Half a dozen rifle powders in stock, but no pistol or shotgun powder.  Plenty of primers, Win or CCI, for $4/100, 2000 limit.  Glancing across the bullets and brass shelves, availability was kinda spotty.  My impression was that in general Cabelas has slightly better prices, at least on the things I was looking for.   Oddly enough, Bass Pro didn't seem to sell any ammo or components in bulk.   No 10 box sleeves of shotgun ammo, primers were all out in individual boxes, no bricks, no battle packs of rifle or handgun ammo.  Cabelas had all of these in stock.

I wasn't optimistic about Cabelas getting in .22 ammo on President's day, and it appears they hadn't.  No .22 at all--even the dozen bricks of $99 match ammo they had the day before were gone.  Most of the other ammo shelves were still full, including a big display of PMC battle packs for a couple of calibers, including .380 (really--.380 in a 'battle pack'?).   No change to their limited selection of powder, but on this visit they had so many primers they had them stocked in two sections of shelves.   They'd added Federal to the mix, which also included CCI, Win, and Rem.  Prices for any of this were nothing special, but they had just put up a sale on shotgun target loads:  Rio for $55/10 boxes, Winchester (though not AA) for $65, 12 or 20 gauge.

If Patton was involved, 'battle' is appropriate, but I think he was better known for his ivory-gripped .45 and .357 revolvers.   All just back-up guns, of course, to the tanks he commanded.  

Patton's .380 Remington and Colt Pocket autos were "hide-out guns" for his suicide upon capture.  It is said he would "Mexican Carry" even in full dress uniform.  He used his .380 Remington to shoot at a strafing German Messerschmidt (the scene in the 1970 movie is based upon fact).  The Colt SAA Model 1873 Peacemaker in .45LC was used on the mules on the bridge (also based in fact).

including a big display of PMC battle packs for a couple of calibers, including .380 (really--.380 in a 'battle pack'?).

so does that mean you'd volunteer to get shot by a .380? because i sure as hell wouldn't. and if i had to choose between carrying that and nothing, i choose the .380 every time. so yes they do have battle packs. so you can buy in bulk and practice. not because you plan to go to war with a .380 pistol