Grapeshot

Only in NJ...

I've seen both in my back yard, Nevermind out in the woods hunting. Just because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Coyote like to keep out of sight most of the time. Bear just don't care if you see them or not because they're not scared of you.

I've seen both in my back yard, Nevermind out in the woods hunting. Just because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there. Coyote like to keep out of sight most of the time. Bear just don't care if you see them or not because they're not scared of you.

Every bear I've seen has run away the moment it noticed me. Can it be my deodorant?

Some do run away, some are a little more bold. They all have different personalities just like we do. Most of the time if they're not on a food source (like your neighbors garbage can) they avoid confrontations with humans. But when they have something they are interested in on their lips, it takes a little more encouragement to convince them to vacate.

Coyote on the other hand see us and split quickly. Walking through the woods making noise makes it unlikely to see one. Sit quietly in one place for a few hours with scent control & camouflage, blow on a predator call for a few minutes tell me what you see then. I've called coyote in to me while Turkey hunting many times. The area I hunt in had tracks everywhere this winter, looked like a Fox/coyote highway. Had a few pictures on my trail cameras as well. I'm on the Morris/Sussex border not very urban here but much less rural compared to upper Sussex county.

^^^ Wrong!!!! I'm the natural predator to every deer. Unfortunately for your tulips, other yard foliage, & auto collision premiums, I'm grossly outnumbered. If there were more of me there would be less of a deer population problem in the state.

LOL... was doing a search and came across this.  Funny.

But the deer issue is a royal pain in the ass.  One ran into the side of my brand new truck in January.  A week later I plowed one into eternity with my SUV.  Casagrande's bill for commercial hunting is still sitting in the Dem control Agro committee.  It's been sitting there for 20 months.  As long as it doesn't screw up non-commercial hunting, they should actually pass it.

30K deer get killed by vehicles per year.  50K taken by hunters.  Nowhere near enough.  Makes me want to put up a stand in my yard for bow season.

Pretty soon I'd bet we'll see some pretty sick deer.  A couple of years ago, they starting eating stuff they don't normally eat.  That means their food is getting scarce.  It happened in Black River State Forest a long time ago when the state banned hunting there.  I remember hearing about it when I was a teenager starting to hunt back in the late 70's.

Anyway... Deerslayer... spend some time in Monmouth County. We topped the list of counties in the state for the number of dead deer that needed to be hauled to the dump.

Oh yeah.. and I also had Lyme's disease back in 2013.  ....*#@^#*&ing  deer....

I'm in Sussex, there's no lack of deer here either. The problem in this state isn't the lack of hunters, it's a lack of access to hunting. I'm against Casagrande's bill. I think a bill not allowing townships to close township owned property to recreational hunting, would be a free solution. Rather than hiring sharp shooters. The liberal antis control the state and towns where the problematic deer damage occurs. I'm all for deer smashing into cars in liberal anti hunting towns. They're getting what they deserve.

When I read about coyote attacking people and pets in Bergen County I just laugh. That's what happens when you outlaw hunting in an area. I'm routing for the Coyote biting liberals doing yard work, and killing their cats and dogs. The people that have allowed these towns, to close hunting to the tax payers that live there are getting what they deserve as well.

Also another myth is that deer herds have destroyed the state forest underbrush. That's simply not true. The cause of the forestry being decimated is because of poor stewardship. Forests need to be harvested periodically to allow sunlight to hit the forest floor and promote new growth. Our forests have not been harvested in almost 75 years. Our current trees are on the decline in their lifespans. When they're all dead in the near future there will be no younger trees to take their place. It's not the deer, it's the tree huggers that are killing our forests. Causing a lack of food to support our deer population and causing them to eat our landscaping. As well as deer vs auto collisions. Harvest the forest properly, the sun hits the young plants, they grow, the deer have food, the bobwhite quail, grouse, and woodcock, rabbits have habitat that can support them again and they will return. The deer would also return to the forest where they belong. We're the problem because we don't fight for proper stewardship as they do in other states that don't have the problems we do.

I'll need to read her bill.   I do think we need more hunting and I have no problem with the hunters who hunt today being able to sell their game at weighing stations, if such places still exist.  Buyers could show up and buy what they want.  But the payment to professional hunters to just drop deer?  I would agree that would be a waste.  Open the access up and the problem will be resolved.  And extend the season or the limits.   I think that's been done at least a little since I used to deer hunt.

+1 on the Coyotes.  lol

Seems like a good, lighting initiated forest fire would also address the tree harvesting issue.  From what I recall, in the long run, those fires while dangerous, are beneficial to the forest. 

Tough fight against the tree huggers in this state. They have Christie's ear as well as all the Dems.

No more check stations for deer, it's now an automated system. I check my deer instantly with my smart phone immediately after killing one, before I drag it out of the woods.

The major problem with her bill is what she's proposing is federally illegal already. The feds can come in at any time, and quickly put an end to the sale of game meat. There's a reason it's illegal in 50 out of 50 states to sell hunting kills.

The seasons are already pretty liberal for deer. My zone is unlimited doe from September till the end of February. Only closed for Christmas day. Most of the state is similar. Some zones end in January.

Access is definitely the key to managing the population, extremely hard to convince the bleeding heart libs that we need to kill the deer along their jogging paths. So when they do a few thousand dollars worth of damage to their Mercedes Benz, I'm not going to shed any tears for them.

I'm in Sussex, there's no lack of deer here either. The problem in this state isn't the lack of hunters, it's a lack of access to hunting. I'm against Casagrande's bill. I think a bill not allowing townships to close township owned property to recreational hunting, would be a free solution. Rather than hiring sharp shooters. The liberal antis control the state and towns where the problematic deer damage occurs. I'm all for deer smashing into cars in liberal anti hunting towns. They're getting what they deserve.

When I read about coyote attacking people and pets in Bergen County I just laugh. That's what happens when you outlaw hunting in an area. I'm routing for the Coyote biting liberals doing yard work, and killing their cats and dogs. The people that have allowed these towns, to close hunting to the tax payers that live there are getting what they deserve as well.

Also another myth is that deer herds have destroyed the state forest underbrush. That's simply not true. The cause of the forestry being decimated is because of poor stewardship. Forests need to be harvested periodically to allow sunlight to hit the forest floor and promote new growth. Our forests have not been harvested in almost 75 years. Our current trees are on the decline in their lifespans. When they're all dead in the near future there will be no younger trees to take their place. It's not the deer, it's the tree huggers that are killing our forests. Causing a lack of food to support our deer population and causing them to eat our landscaping. As well as deer vs auto collisions. Harvest the forest properly, the sun hits the young plants, they grow, the deer have food, the bobwhite quail, grouse, and woodcock, rabbits have habitat that can support them again and they will return. The deer would also return to the forest where they belong. We're the problem because we don't fight for proper stewardship as they do in other states that don't have the problems we do.

http://6abc.com/news/crews-battle-forest-fire-in-burlington-county/702977/

perfect example of poor stewardship was last week in Wharton State Forest..The article said the area has not burned since 1920 or 1930. Burns are essential to clear the dense forest floor and allow new growth.

http://6abc.com/news/crews-battle-forest-fire-in-burlington-county/702977/

perfect example of poor stewardship was last week in Wharton State Forest..The article said the area has not burned since 1920 or 1930. Burns are essential to clear the dense forest floor and allow new growth.

Agreed ^^^ vital soil nutrition is replenished as a result of forest fire.

Deer present an interesting situation in New Jersey. So long as they thrive in the minimally-managed habitat they are hunted in, so long as everyone pays the additional permit fees to take them off the state's hands, so long as some 50,000 - 60,000 deer are culled each year to satisfy the state in reducing the herd; the focus will remain the same in this state and you will see little change. The same woods that harbor deer offer prime habitat for turkey, another game resource that doesn't need much in the way of managing.

On the other hand, if the state did not stock pheasants, there would be no pheasants to hunt in the state on state-managed lands. There simply is no true habitat for them anymore. If the state did not stock quail on the two parcels of land designated for them to be stocked, there would be no quail to hunt, for there is no real habitat for them anymore. We already know of the small native woodcock populations and the diminishing presence of the ruffed grouse in New Jersey. Again, a direct result of diminishing and/or poor habitat. The NJFGW Whistling Counts for bobwhite's have been dismal the last four years. So too have the Audubon's Annual Christmas Counts. The Audubon Society is stocking quail from Georgia through the Pine Island Cranberry’s Forest Stewardship Plan in an effort to see if they thrive. Yet previous studies have shown a mortality rate as high as 91% in New Jersey for the Northern Bobwhite. It's going to be interesting to see if they make any progress.

Yes, there are a handful of dedicated individuals like Pheasants Forever, the Ruffed Grouse Society and American Woodcock Society; but their efforts to enact significant change is like a flea punching an elephant.

Kurylka knows that squirrels can be a nuisance, or worse. "I've had problems with them at my house," he said. "You get traps, catch the squirrels and let them go elsewhere."

Isnt it illegal to trap game without a trapping license? Do live traps fall outside of trapping laws? Isnt it illegal to move wildlife without a permit?

Beyond that. Years ago a wife whom caught her husband cheating thought it would teach him a lesson to shoot him with a pellet rifle upon his return home. Unfortunately the pellet hit at the wrong angle and went through his lung and lodged in his heart, killing him. So the story goes. I couldnt find a historic article. I did however find several deaths by pellet gun around the country

Isnt it illegal to trap game without a trapping license? Do live traps fall outside of trapping laws? Isnt it illegal to move wildlife without a permit?

Beyond that. Years ago a wife whom caught her husband cheating thought it would teach him a lesson to shoot him with a pellet rifle upon his return home. Unfortunately the pellet hit at the wrong angle and went through his lung and lodged in his heart, killing him. So the story goes. I couldnt find a historic article. I did however find several deaths by pellet gun around the country

Nuisance animals may be trapped if they're causing property damage. Re location is illegal though. They must be released in the same area they were trapped. Which why I don't trap, I kill instead.