Sign in to follow this  
ryan_j

Steel case ammo in your AR

I know it isn't as good as brass, but apart from not being able to reload, any other downside? Corrosion? Wear? FTF/FTE? 

Seeing some good prices on steel case ammo.

Shouldn't be a problem with the range I shoot at, since it's an outdoor range. 

I've stopped shooting steel all together.  I was sick of having massive amounts of dirt after about 300 rounds.  I switched over to brass fully and haven't had a hard time cleaning the gun.  One thing I've had happen a lot is if you leave a round in the chamber while it is hot, it will get stuck after cool down.

I know it isn't as good as brass, but apart from not being able to reload, any other downside? Corrosion? Wear? FTF/FTE? 

Seeing some good prices on steel case ammo.

Shouldn't be a problem with the range I shoot at, since it's an outdoor range. 

the best way to find out is to get some and run it - i just picked up 100 rounds of wolf wpa steel 223 from aimsurplus for under $30.  if you run through it with no problems, then you're good to go.  yes, it supposedly does leave your firearm a bit more dirty than brass, and while i'm not a fanatic about keeping my guns spotless, i don't let them go for 1000's of rounds before cleaning either.

you shouldn't have problems with corrosion if the ammo uses non-corrosive primers and wear will all depend of number of rounds fired and frequency/amount fired at one time.  a couple hundred rounds a month? no worries  a couple thousand over a weekend....might be a different story

I have been using it on and off for awhile. I see no issues with steel Wolf ammo.  I haven't used any other brand. I shoot 200 rounds of wolf a few weeks ago and I say not difference in accuracy from any other brass ammo I have shot.

I am not sure why anyone would leave a round in the chamber for so long it would get stuck, I usually clear my rifle between shooting and going down range, so I say try it in your rifle and hopefully you are good to go.

I agree with MAC's video and decision to shoot it.

I don't think steel cases are bad, it's the bi-metal bullet that's bad for the barrel.

They definitely put some extra toll on the barrel, but in all honesty, how many people actually put 7000+ rounds through their gun? A lot of people put a few hundred down range and then it sits in the safe. If you are a precision shooter, you will most likely be using more expensive ammo then regular xm193. Probably in the range of a dollar a round. I will shoot steel in my paper hunting guns all day.

I've got a beater with close 5k rounds, mostly wolf and

I've stopped shooting steel all together.  I was sick of having massive amounts of dirt after about 300 rounds.  I switched over to brass fully and haven't had a hard time cleaning the gun.  One thing I've had happen a lot is if you leave a round in the chamber while it is hot, it will get stuck after cool down.

I call internet bs....the dirtiest ammo I've ever...EVER...seen was American.  Wolf is dirty but there are plenty of dirty brass out there

As for the stuck round in the chamber, I couldn't tell you as I don't leave rounds in the chamber or rather, not for very long.  I have one beater with 5k rounds down the barrel, I mean beater that I intentionally do things to like not clean, bury in snow, etc..  I've primarily shoot only wolf and have never had a problem, not one misfeed, bad primer, stuck case, nothing.