Porthole

Luger questions with regards to non standard barrel

Never heard of that before. Could you post pictures of it? Please include the toggle and date code as well. I am going to say it was probably not made that way.

Toggle code?

Date code?

Best I can tell, mine does not have a date code, judging by pictures I have seen on the net.

Your toggle doesn't match your barrel or frame.  Your barrel and frame are numbered 3224 (small parts just get the last 2 numbers) and your toggle and extractor are numbered 72.

This is a mismatch.  A genuine FrankenLuger if you will.  Normally on DWM Luger's there's a date on the top of the barrel, just forward of the extractor.

Your toggle doesn't match your barrel or frame.  Your barrel and frame are numbered 3224 (small parts just get the last 2 numbers) and your toggle and extractor are numbered 72.

Yes I know. I mentioned that above because all the small parts match, including whatever numbers I could find on the inside.

Obviously someone - somewhere took two pistols and made one.

Luger_10b_zps0cd127bb.jpg

Luger_09_zps49a5f875.jpg

This is a mismatch.  A genuine FrankenLuger if you will.  Normally on DWM Luger's there's a date on the top of the barrel, just forward of the extractor.

Without the date stamped, what is the deciding factor on dating a Luger, especially since there are a variety of types and manufacturers?

I realize I don't a valuable piece, just trying to find info about the barrel.

My best guess for dating is pre-1920 based on what I have read and the "straw colors".

The pistol actually looks a lot better then the pictures make it out to be.

The mag and slide release ends on the right appear to have that yellow color.

Edited by Porthole

Can't really tell what make the frame and upper is without seeing the proof marks. The toggle is a DWM and the upper is marked Germany so the upper is commercial production(post WW1). As for the threads on the barrel I would say that maybe someone wanted a mismatched Luger to put a suppressor or muzzle device on it for some reason. I don't think it was a factory job.

Which proof marks do you need to see?

These are the stamps on the right side, just aft of the barrel.

Luger_05_zpscdb39889.jpg

See if you can see the proofs in the link http://www.lugerforum.com/lugermarkings/proof-2.html  It is hard to make out the letter below the crown. This will tell you if you have a DWM or Erfurt upper. It is possible it could not be listed or could have changed after WW1.  The RC crown means arsenal repair, refurbish, or modification.