NJGunGeek1980

770 Barrel Threading

Hey guys the wife bought me for V-Day a Remington 770 in 308. I know this is not the best rifle but for the price she got it for I will more then serve my use for now till i get a 700. The barrel is pressed into the action so unlike the 700 that I could have my father thread by simply unscrewing the barrel does anyone know of a gunsmith in ocean county area that might be able to do it for the 770 as its kind of stuck in the action. 

You can thread a barrel with some specialized hand tools your self. Total cost would be about 35 dollars plus muzzle device. I have thought about doing it to my 783, The huge thing to worry about when doing this your self is ensuring the threads are square to the barrel. 

If its pressed into the action thats really the only way I can think of doing it, and a Smith might do the same thing.

The difference is if i do it my self and screw it up kiss the whole rifle good by and i eat the cost. If i pay a gunsmith to do it and he screw's it up then he is buying me a new rifle simple as that also he then has to deal with the ATF and SP to explain / fill out what ever needs to be for a disposed of firearm. 

Go to CNCWarrior.com......they have all the barrel threading tools in one kit for about 50.00........they come with pilots so the threads are square and everything......Their kits, plus the vids they have on YouTube make it easy as pie....I've done 2 myself already, its easy.